The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Card advice for a lefty (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
Roger, you might also enjoy Harry's lecture for Penguin Magic. I'm watching it now, and just reached a spot where he talks about working with cards as a lefty. One advantage he pointed out, that I never considered, is that when you're doing a Hindu shuffle and display the selected card, your fingers naturally cover the lower-right pip on the card because you're holding the deck in your left hand when you do the display. That's only true for a lefty, and it's a bit of trivia that a person with some slightly irregular cards could take advantage of.
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
Nyama Possessor
View Profile
Veteran user
Under the Shade Tree
322 Posts

Profile of Nyama Possessor
A proud Southpaw here... Never really had trouble learning from books and DVDs which were all geared towards right-handed magi, and on rare occasion I would even actually create new/streamlined methods, sleights, moves, etc. while striving to transpose right-handed instructions to my left-handed handling, lol.

Just curious, why do you feel the need to change hands when using cards?

Some interesting (not-so-magic-related) Left Handed facts:

Left-Handed People...

- Better at 3D perception and thinking.
- Better at multi-tasking.
- August 13th is International Left Handers Day.
- Recover from strokes faster.
- More likely to pursue creative careers.
- Left handed college graduates go on to become 26% richer than right handed graduates.
- Adjust to seeing underwater quicker.
- Some scholars note that left-handers may be one of the last unorganized minorities in society because they have no collective power and no real sense of common identity. Additionally, left-handers are often discriminated against by social, educational, and religious institutions. Social customs and even language set the left-hander apart as "different" and even "bad."
- Phrases in English suggest a negative view of left-handedness. For example, a "left-handed complement" is actually an insult. A "left-handed marriage" is not a marriage but an adulterous sexual liaison, as in a "left-handed honeymoon with someone else’s husband." A "left-handed wife" is actually a mistress.
- Tests conducted by St. Lawrence University in New York found that there were more left-handed people with IQs over 140 than right-handed people. Famous left-handed intellectuals include Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton, Charles Darwin, and Benjamin Franklin.
- The Incas thought left-handers were capable of healing and that they possessed magical abilities. The North American Zuni tribe believed left-handedness signified good luck.
- Studies have suggested that left-handers are more talented in spatial awareness, math, and architecture.
- Many people who are left-handed draw figures that face to the right.
- Connections between the right and left sides of the brain are faster in left-handed people. This means information is transferred faster, making left-handers more efficient in dealing with multiple stimuli and using both sides of the brain more easily.
- Researchers postulate that the proportion of left-handers has remained constant for over 30,000 years.
- The wearing of a wedding ring on the left hand is said to have started with the ancient Egyptians, who felt that placing the ring on the left hand brought it nearer to the heart.
- Studies have shown that if a left-hander injures his dominant hand, he has an easier time learning to use the other hand than his right-handed counterparts.
- Some scientists have suggested that left-handers were originally in the womb with a twin that did not survive, or a "Vanishing Twin."
- The longest words that can be typed using only the left hand with conventional hand placement are sweaterdresses and tesseradecades.
The Honorable NYAMA POSSESSOR

Co-Founder & Co-Creator of MAGICAL REALISM, Owner of ANCESTRAL REALM PRODUCTIONS

* 17 Year Member of the Shadow Network * ICBM Alumnus *

Creator/Author of SUMMONING RUMI and numerous other underground proprietary releases...
Books, routines and tools coming soon, available only and exclusively at www.AlchemyMoon.com
carlyle
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of carlyle
I consider myself to be a "lefty" because it's the hand I write, draw, swing, and lead with. But like most lefties, I do lots of other things with my right hand. With magic I do almost everything the right-handed way, except an overhand shuffle. Which I find a quite awkward - holding a PB with the left hand and going into a left-handed overhand shuffle is not really smooth. Hard to come up with a way to make it more natural - a step is what I'm trying, otherwise you have to transfer the deck to the right hand and back to the left. It doesn't look right, and kind of makes a few nice controls a little out of my reach.
Scotte
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Scotte
A lot of videoplayers will let you mirror video if you look through the options. VLC player will play dvds and allow you to mirror them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Card advice for a lefty (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL