The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » What are the odds of this (Simon Lovell "trick")? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of RogerTheShrubber
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2015, carlyle wrote:
...but it's pretty magical when it does happen.

It really is. No matter how many times I do this, even if I've gotten a couple misses in a row, for me there's still a sense of "holy crap" when it happens.
RiderBacks
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of RiderBacks
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2015, RogerTheShrubber wrote:
Quote:

It really is. No matter how many times I do this, even if I've gotten a couple misses in a row, for me there's still a sense of "holy crap" when it happens.

I'm going to disagree. I see nothing magical about this at all. It is obviously just a probability-based thing, and, as we've learned, the odds aren't even in your favor! I would expect a reasonably intelligent layman to think to themselves, "Oh, so this event occurs more frequently than I would have thought. That's interesting." I would not expect them to think, "That's magical."

May the odds be ever in your favor. ;-)
R2D2
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of R2D2
Not sure if anyone still cares, but if you want to do a bunch of trials at home then you can speed things up as follows: after you shuffle and go through the deck looking for a king next to a queen (for instance), record your result and then immediate go through again and look for a jack next to a ten, and so on. In other words if you pick a bunch of pairs of ranks, you can check each pair against a single shuffled deck.

And then shuffle (really well) and keep going. I hope that made sense.
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 12, 2015, RiderBacks wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2015, RogerTheShrubber wrote:
Quote:

I'm going to disagree. I see nothing magical about this at all. It is obviously just a probability-based thing, and, as we've learned, the odds aren't even in your favor! I would expect a reasonably intelligent layman to think to themselves, "Oh, so this event occurs more frequently than I would have thought. That's interesting." I would not expect them to think, "That's magical."

May the odds be ever in your favor. ;-)

Good point, but that's why I said that FOR ME there's still a sense of "holy crap" when it happens. I'm aware that others may not feel the same.
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 27, 2015, R2D2 wrote:
Not sure if anyone still cares, but if you want to do a bunch of trials at home then you can speed things up as follows: after you shuffle and go through the deck looking for a king next to a queen (for instance), record your result and then immediate go through again and look for a jack next to a ten, and so on. In other words if you pick a bunch of pairs of ranks, you can check each pair against a single shuffled deck.

And then shuffle (really well) and keep going. I hope that made sense.

Thanks, it does make perfect sense, but I still do it the old-fashioned way. Habits which have lasted decades are uncomfortable to break.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » What are the odds of this (Simon Lovell "trick")? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL