The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Smoke Chamber: The Appearing Arms Illusion? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Alright, tell me if I'm crazy.

Does anyone get annoyed by the amazing appearing arms from smoke trick? That's what I've started to call most Smoke Chamber illusions I see because after it fills with smoke, a door opens and you see someone raise their hands like everyone can see them...which we can't...so all we see is a hand come through the smoke.

I have yet to see one with a good fan setup that really works to get the smoke out quickly. I have my own idea to get rid of that smoke quite quickly, but I was curious as to what you guys think. I feel like the effect often gets lost.

Has anyone seen a good Smoke Chamber illusion in which the smoke gets out of there quickly enough to get a nice view of the performer in the empty chamber for a clean appearance?
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I once saw one that used a double-walled chamber, so when the performer appeared, the smoke was sucked out quickly as the door opened. I wish I could remember who it was.

In my mind, the reveal needs to be just shy of what you get with a Crystal Casket, otherwise the effectiveness of the appearance is lost. I would also be okay if it went the other direction - a slower (not snail-like, though) reveal as the smoke is sucked out the bottom of the chamber. I don't like the situation that you mentioned, though.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
I would personally experiment with just putting 2 or 3 big fans on the floor so that if all 4 walls open up it blows the smoke UPstage, vs trying to suck it out the top.
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
I have one that I think is pretty cool that I invented.

I have had many magician want one like it. SO I have offered to build other magicians this version.

NO BASE.
Bad video............... THe only thing that would make this really rock out and make it better is this.
I have made this version so the magician can appear in 3 seconds. The only problem is that the smoke machine that I use is a F 100 smoke machine and takes 13 or so seconds to fill it.

They have these new smoke machines that I'm going to get called the Geyser smoke machines.
I'm going to get two of the large ones and place two above the unit.. The cool thing about the Geyser smoke machines is that they emulate Co2 and they can be hung upside down or side ways or on the floor. They also have LED lights that shine different colors and can create the illusion of fire and pyro if needed.

If I had two of those above my original illusion called the Crystal Split.
Then I would really have something here.

Also.. we performed so many shows in one theater, that I never had time to fine tune stuff like rubber flaps and a few things to keep all the smoke in the box.. This is still work in progress.

I find that when I'm performing 300 or so shows in a season. I don't have time for much handy man improvements. When I'm off. Great time for that stuff.

Here are two videos.
of the illusion.

The lighting is a bit dark and it take too long to fill up the chamber..
But with the right smoke machines above shooting down.. I think it would be cool

See what you think..

INVENTION IDEAS>. NO base, 3 seconds to appear, and a split open cabinet to create a vortex type of smoke deal so there wouldn't be the normal problems of opening a door and having to wait for the audience to see the magician.

I have performed 5 different styles of smoke chambers from old JG, BS versions to Mendoza and a few other versions.. This helped me come up with my own version..

I forgot to mention that we start off with two girls in the box and then they step out.
We will now be able to light up the inside of the box with the over head LED lights that goes with the smoke machines to light up the girls as well.

I hope you like it.

Taylor Reed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9SfEz3sKGk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01C8v1960Gw
www.taylorreed.com
www.usedmagicillusions.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
See: The Magic and Comedy of Taylor Reed, Live in Branson, Mo
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Now we're talking. See is exactly what I was hoping to see. Something that opens everything up and gets the smoke out of there - putting the focus on YOU.

Kickass.
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
Thanks for appreciating the hard work, money and time that was put into this.

I wanted to come up with an illusion that would get out of the way, so I could do some cards and not get upstaged by the illusion behind me.

Thanks for the kind words.

Taylor
www.taylorreed.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
Hector
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Hector
Great job as always Taylor!

I have a classic one, no fans or anything. I just worked on a way of opening the prop and getting out of it that would allow me to be "fully" visible quickly.

I hope you enjoy it:

https://youtu.be/DK1Hd882uAI

All the best!
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
859 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
Hector,

You always impress me with the refinements you put on classic illusions. You also have amazing stage presence! Bravo!

Lou
Kendrix
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Kendrix
That was awesome. I loved the small puff of smoke when you slapped your hands together at the start of the cards manip. Very cool
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
I have always wanted to see a smoke chamber illusion where the appearing person came out coughing and gagging from the smoke in the chamber Smile
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Like Fielding West when he makes the tiger appear?
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
Taylor,

I really like the split smoke chamber! That is a really cool reveal.
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
Thanks SB>

Taylor.
www.taylorreed.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Smoke Chamber: The Appearing Arms Illusion? (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL