The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Trouble approaching larger groups? HELP (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Owen Thomas
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Owen Thomas
So I was asked to do a hour at a wedding reception in a night club. I was fine approaching small groups of people at the bar. But when I went upstairs it was dark/ louder and large groups sat in a circle. I found it hard to get "involved" I felt a bit rude interrupting there group. I ended up just doing tricks one on one.

so my question is am I better staying at the bar doing flourishes/attention grabbers and let who ever wants to see magic come to me? ( instead of "interrupting people")

please advice, thank you
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
Speaking from the perspective of the spectator, I think that "interrupting people" at a party crosses a line and makes it likely that people will perceive a strolling magician as annoying rather than entertaining. The large group that's having a good time doesn't need you. But at a social function there are always people who are bored, or feel out of place, or have run out of things to talk about. I think just a bit of observation and intuition will help you tell the difference between people you might be annoying, and people you might be rescuing.

You're there to help people have a good time. If they're already having a good time, they don't need you. But others do. Find them.
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
Steven M. Lafitte
View Profile
New user
US/SWE
24 Posts

Profile of Steven M. Lafitte
Hey Owen,

Having worked security for approximately six years at a nightclub putting myself through college around a decade ago and having watched and interacted with tens of thousands of people over those years in small groups, large groups; I believe that an opportunity will always present itself to perform if you're aware of your surroundings.

There tends to be an inherent rhythm within groups, you can exploit that pulse with a watchful eye and proper confidence.

If done correctly, you can negate any initial negative feelings they may have (if any) towards your interposing by showing them your presence enhances their experience instead of taking away from it.

One of the things I've noticed while entertaining large group settings such as weddings and other social functions myself is the worst thing you can do is overstay your welcome.

Avoid that and you'll do fine, I'm sure. Smile
Palms are for Aces. Not handshakes.
Owen Thomas
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Owen Thomas
Great advice. My guts told me to leave the large group alone. But because I was getting payed I felt I had to show everyone magic.
RedHatMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
239 Posts

Profile of RedHatMagic
My line is always a variant on:

"Good evening I am the in house magician, would you like to see some magic, you are allowed to say no".

Polite ,confident, but aware that other people may have other priorities and that you respect that. You can always go back later if they change their minds. There are usually more tables than time so don't sweat it. You are there to entertain not **** them off, entertain those who want it and leave the others to do their thing.
Let the Entertainment Commence!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Trouble approaching larger groups? HELP (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL