The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Romancing Coins Across (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Romancing Coins Across

There are many “time tested” approaches on a Coins Across theme verifying that this approach is both entertaining to a general/mixed audience and able to create a measure of astonishment. Some are performed in the hands only, while others require a table or a prop such as a container or masking platen like a playing card. Each approach has advantages relative to setting, audience and skill level. It is wise for the accomplished performer to have several different routines mastered if for no other reason that playing for repeat audiences. Yet, the question might be asked, “which is best?” or “ultimate?” or “most magical?”

Any question of “best” is subjective and even intensely personal. I recall the first such effect I saw over 60 years ago and it is still a biased favorite. It is flawed in being very limited as to setting but is one of the most magical approaches possible – yet few magicians would ever choose to perform it. The key is that the subtleties that make it so astonishing are lost on most audiences. Does the average spectator really notice or care that your hands never touch or that the clink of the arriving coins is loud and musical? Are they even paying attention enough for the early phases so that anticipation builds? What other effects precedes and follows this wondrous display? Which coins? Why coins? Why you and now? Why a transportation rather than vanish, penetration of levitation?

I cannot answer those questions for you, but can offer some standards by which any such effect can be measured or compared. These are not in any particular order or priority of importance:

• standing or seated?
• in-hand or on a table top (tray)?
• hands only or some other container employed?
• number of transportations?
• do the hands ever touch?
• are the coins re-ordered and physically shifted?
• at the finger tips or hands may close?
• coins held or set aside after transportation?
• is audible support essential or a distracting concern?
• is the count visibly confirmed or rely on Inference or Implication?
• how often are the hands shown empty or holding the expected count?
• are angles a consideration?
• are all phases in the same direction?
• can the coins be borrowed?
• can objects other than coins be used?
• how difficult are the sleights employed?
• how expensive or fragile is any required gaff, container or device?

Please notice that I am not concerned here over “method.” The choice of “coins only,” gaff, extra coin and possible container should be secondary to the question of what you are attempting to accomplish for a particular audience. Personal preference of method or favorite sleight should never be the driving force in effect selection or routine design. Following Al Schneider’s lead you should also decide if this effect is to be considered Clown, Theater or Virtual magic? In reality, crafting the ultimate Coins Across may not be the most entertaining or most memorable. By analogy, listening to a singer with a five octave range may be intriguing, but will not be a hit in a country-western bar at 2AM. My intent here is to stimulate thinking and not to tell anyone what to do or what is best.

However, I can offer an outline of what I might do for an attentive audience with an appreciation of magic and following a non-transportation effect like Coins though Silk, should such a situation arise.

1) a spectator selects three identical coins from a pile of mixed coins.
2) both hands are completely empty as you take the coins one at a time from the spectator and visibly and audibly drop them into your left hand.
3) all three coins are visible as the hand closes. The empty right hand closes simultaneously but they are held far apart.
4) a magic gesture is made and the hands opened to reveal coins in the left hand and one in the right.
5) these coins are allowed to drop and bounce on the table but still far apart. Both hands are empty.
6) Each hand picks up its own coins without coming near each other. The coins are shown on each palm before the hands close, two in the left and one in the right.
7) another gesture and the hands open. Now there is one in the left and two in the right. These are handed to one or two spectator to “keep warm.
These are placed back on the correct empty palms by the spectator.
8) open hands displayed with retrieved coins, one on the left and two in the right and closed without coming close to each other.
9) magic gesture and hands opened. None in the left and three in the right.
10) the coins are handed back to the spectator to return to the pile.

Is this “ultimate?”

Notes: No expense – can be done with poker chips or washers or buttons. I developed and performed it before ever reading Bobo or seeing any Coins Across effect on DVD/VHS. I didn’t know I was supposed to use a Shell or Back-Palm or Shuttle. I have never published this effect, but will discuss the approach with anyone who can send me a correct evaluation of why I have not published it.

My intent here is only to inspire readers to consider what they are now doing and consider options.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
magicbart
View Profile
New user
Chambly, Québec, Canada
85 Posts

Profile of magicbart
Hi Funs,

Very much interesting.

Thanks
What your brain can imagine, you can create it. Dont wait, just do it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Romancing Coins Across (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL