The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Sean Bogunia's Toe Switch (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
144 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
I'm wondering if anyone has ever used one of these http://seanbogunia.com/toeswitch1.html

I just got his new Extreme Hanky trick and was actually rather dissapointed with it, mainly because I thought it must have some new hands free way to start and stop it. I figured that must be why the cost is so high. But there is nothing like this, I'm now rather annoyed by the price. But anyways, I want to be able to start and stop it without using my hands, so I'm thinking that maybe the toe switch would be the answer.

So how good does it work? It seems like a great idea, but I kindof wonder how practical it is. And how reliable, durable and long lasting is it?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Electronics is always questionable. The price is high because it is built with electronics.

Did you watch the video demo on how the toe switch works. On and Off. You have to order for each type of trick you are going to use it for.
http://seanbogunia.com/toeswitch1.html

The product you want to use it with has be already equipped with remote control activation.

I see very little advantage over using a remote in your pocket or on the inside of your jacket. Just hold our lapel and press the button. Moving on stage could set it off as well.

To know if you can use it, check your shoes. If you have a worn spot on he inside of you shoe above our big toe, then that means you move your toe around and could not use the top attachment method.

Also you may have to find shoes that will fit the switch with you foot. I don't know of many dress shoes that gives that kind of room.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2015, JBiesecker wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone has ever used one of these http://seanbogunia.com/toeswitch1.html

I just got his new Extreme Hanky trick and was actually rather dissapointed with it, mainly because I thought it must have some new hands free way to start and stop it. I figured that must be why the cost is so high. But there is nothing like this, I'm now rather annoyed by the price. But anyways, I want to be able to start and stop it without using my hands, so I'm thinking that maybe the toe switch would be the answer.

So how good does it work? It seems like a great idea, but I kindof wonder how practical it is. And how reliable, durable and long lasting is it?

JB,
I used SoundzAmazing with a pressure sensitive toe switch. Soundzamazing comes with a pressure switch that goes in your armpit. I found this awkward. I looked like a dancing chicken. LOL

I went to an electronics store and purchased a magnetic reed switch. It's a tiny switch and easy to wire up. It's also quite tiny.
They come in different magnetic strengths and sizes.
I set it up on the outside of my knee. All I have to do is be near anything that is attracted to a magnet. Canadian coin, ring, keyring, metal table legs, etc.
You can put it anywhere, pocket, foot, elbow, etc.
It turns off as you pull away from the iron object.
I found that this works better than the pressure sensitive toe switch. (For me anyway)
I know this isn't exactly what you asked for, but it may help.
Ihor
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
144 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2015, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Electronics is always questionable. The price is high because it is built with electronics.

Did you watch the video demo on how the toe switch works. On and Off. You have to order for each type of trick you are going to use it for.
http://seanbogunia.com/toeswitch1.html

The product you want to use it with has be already equipped with remote control activation.

I see very little advantage over using a remote in your pocket or on the inside of your jacket. Just hold our lapel and press the button. Moving on stage could set it off as well.

To know if you can use it, check your shoes. If you have a worn spot on he inside of you shoe above our big toe, then that means you move your toe around and could not use the top attachment method.

Also you may have to find shoes that will fit the switch with you foot. I don't know of many dress shoes that gives that kind of room.

I have watched the video several times. It's pretty clear how it works, but it's hard to tell how good it works. The reason why I'm interested in it is because I'm usually a solo performer, and for "Extreme Hanky" I want to be able to have it start and stop when the volunteer tells it to. Palming the remote would be a hastle, so it seems like the toe switch could be the answer, but only if it works well. So I'm just looking for feedback from people who have used it (not just for Extreme Hanky, but for any of Seans products).

Interesting thoughts Ihop. It's probably unlikely that Sean would make one of these to activate his products, but those are some interesting suggestions.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I don't know why you think you have to palm the remote, as I suggested it will fit in your pocket and work from the outside or on the belt or behind your coat collar. Simply attaché a piece of Velcro to it and stick it wherever you wish for easy reach. If the button is not easy for you to hit, then glue a shirt button on the remote button.

I think you just want to try a toe switch. As noted seen the video, it did not look to me like the response was instant, there was some time delay.

Myself, all my shoes do not have the room for such a device below or above in my shows. My toe, I am finding digs into the upper inside portion, as I am finding an indent in my leather dress shoes.

And for perfect concealment, you w have to have a slit in your socks, people will notice a bright red and white wire showing.

Yes, they have been using toe switches for many years, so I am surprised that no one has commented as well. It is most likely because they never use it, because it is more hassle to most people to attach things to the body before a show.

Eighty dollars does not sound like a lot of money, when handheld remotes cost $40 and up.
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
144 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
The design of the remote would be a little difficult to do this with. It's a small button that needs to be pushed, and it's right next to a slightly longer one. I'm sure it can be done, and that may be what I'll have to do. But I still would rather have a hands free way of doing it, partly because for this trick it would be good to have both hands available at once (it's not required, but it would be good).
bertolla
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
84 Posts

Profile of bertolla
Hi,

I am in the same as Bill. I made the same for my think of a drink routine with the kettle. I put the remote on a small wood plate. Then I put some tesa on the remote and glue on the plastic buttons the bigger buttons. This all I put in my pocket. I can feel now every button on the outside of the pockets and can easy press on the buttons. Nobody can see it because the hand is still hanging normal on the outside of the pants. Just try it. With the kettle I have 5 buttons and I think with your hanky you have only 2. Much easier to start and stop
bertolla
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
84 Posts

Profile of bertolla
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
144 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
Thanks, but it wouldn't be as easy with the remote for Extreme Hanky, as the buttons stick out vertically on the top rather than horizontally on the sides. I'm sure it's possible though.
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
531 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
I absolutely love the Extreme Hanky. I had the same question about the toe switch when I purchased the hanky and emailed Sean about the toe switch. At the time the toe switch was not compatible with the Extreme Hanky. This was over a year ago that I asked.

There are a few things to consider when performing this and having the hanky work when you want it to. I use music that I put together in audacity. I can hit the timing just about 100% of the time with the spectator. I only need to make it move with the spectator three times at the beginning of the routine and I know exactly when the hanky will move based on the timing and music. It will take a little practice but it is well worth the work as this is pure magic to the audience. I have had people come up to me after shows and tell me they thought they knew what was going on until I let the kid hold the bottle and I walked out into the audience with the bottle and let other spectators hold the bottle.
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
144 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
Just to let you know, I recently asked him about the toe switch also and he said that he is working on one that he hopes to have within a couple months or so. Using music to synchronize moves is definitly a good technique for dancing handkerchiefs. I've done it some with his ITS system https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Io8UdeyfZo

This may sound strange, and it may be different if I wasn't a user of ITS. But unlike most people, I've been very disappointed with Extreme Hanky, not just because there isn't a hands free way to start and stop it, but also because of the mechanics it uses. I had figured that it must use some revolutionary new components. I was shocked to find that the electronics and other mechanics are no different than the ones used in ITS, (everything but the cap). I love Sean Bogunia, and I would highly recomend him and his products to anyone, he's amazingly friendly, helpful and generous, I'll probably order several more of his products. He certainly has a right to charge however much he wants, I suppose he deserves extra for how good he's always been. But frankly I really can't understand how he could charge so much for this when the components are nearly identical to ITS.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Sean Bogunia's Toe Switch (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL