The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » -- Curious about Hypnosis -- (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fengenroll
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
226 Posts

Profile of fengenroll
Hi fellas,

I would first like to thank you guys for PM me about what to buy when it comes to beginners to the art of hypnosis. While the books are on the way, I would still like to clear my head of a few things concerning the myth.

1. Is it true that it's almost impossible
to do hypnosis on friends and family?

2. Why does it work best on stage? I thought laymen on stage felt nervous, and that would make it harder for them to concentrate?

3. How do you practice? It's not exactly like learning a new card trick. Who will be best suitable as a "test" person?

4. Is it a course you can take, or is it only years and years of hard studying?

5. Motivation, why do you do hypnosis?
Is it just to entertain? Or does your hypnosis provide any health benefits to your clients?

Looking forward to any help you could provide.

F.
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
In answer:

1) Yes, it is hard, almost impossible to study on family and friends, but it can be done if you are good and they are willing.

2.) It works best on stage as far as Stage Hypnosis goes because you need a large population to find willing participants. Also, if performed correctly, it will allow them to lower their inhibitions in doing what they do on stage.

3.) Practice is difficult, but if you can find a few people who do beleive that you can do what you purport to do, you will be able to prtactice on them.

4.) There are courses you can take, BUT you will only get good at it through constant work and practice.

5.) Entertainment.

PSIncerely Yours,

Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
fengenroll
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
226 Posts

Profile of fengenroll
Thank you Paul,
It made my mind clearer, I really look forward to the books I ordered,
hopefully I can PM you when I need some more advice.

F.
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
698 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
I second what Paul said.

Additionally, you can practice on friends who won't be hypnotized. Just ask them to pretend for you; that'll help you memorize your structures and/or scripts.
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
And as you improve in your skills your friends may find they are not pretending anymore.

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
magician2121
View Profile
New user
Columbus,OH
35 Posts

Profile of magician2121
I alos agree with Paul! =)
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." -Adam Savage
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
I *mostly* agree with Paul. I'm sure he's right from his own experience, but I have some different ones.

1. We agree
2. I agree with his first sentence. You have success because you have a large group to work with and can find the best people there. I semi-agree with his second statement about being able to lower their inhibitions, but I would suggest that your best actors are not the ones where you have to work hard to lower their inhibitions, but who are ready to have fun or are looking for an excuse to act silly. It's not like they are clueless as to hypnosis shows.
3. I respectfully disagree with the concept of finding "a few people." The more people you can work with, the better. IMO a good place to find such people is by taking trainings where you work with different partners. It also gives you a chance to see what others are doing and adopt (or avoid) their tactics.
4. In my experience, hypnosis is a skill. You practice it until you "get" it. Chances are you don't continue to struggle learning how to walk, ride a bike or drive a car. Once you have a skill, it's yours. However, IMO induction of hypnosis is a small part of a stage hypnosis show. Learning how to walk on stage, talk to your audience, control the group, determine who will be good actors, and get a great performance out of them are what is difficult to learn and master. I'm a big supporter of in-person training, but much of this needs to be supplemented by books, videos and audios. Classes in acting, public speaking, and even directing might be good.
5. I enjoy both. However, there is another aspect. When you demonstrate the power of the mind to people, it can open them up to potentials and possibilities in their lives that they may not have considered before. When they see that they have options they didn't think they had, it can give them more power in their lives and help them change for the better.
Zoto
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Zoto
1. Is it true that it's almost impossible to do hypnosis on friends and family?

No they are just harder. Really it comes down to trust.

2. Why does it work best on stage? I thought laymen on stage felt nervous, and that would make it harder for them to concentrate?

I'd say the answer is two fold. There is a group dynamic and where one goes others will follow as part of a social proof. And there is pressure to perform, after all they did volunteer to be part of the show..

3. How do you practice? It's not exactly like learning a new card trick. Who will be best suitable as a "test" person?

Another hypnotist, barring that someone that trusts you.

Nothing beats training and experience.

Is it just to entertain? Or does your hypnosis provide any health benefits to your clients?

I got into hypnosis to entertain. Yet I spend most of my time working out of an office I rent at the local health food store. I do the usual, Stop Smoking, Weight Management, Insomnia, and relaxation, but I have seen more than my share of the bizarre. Just when I think it's rinse and repete somehting unusual happens. (Abreactions..)

Jerry
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I agree with Paul A. with one addition to item #4 - yes there are courses and you will only get good through hard work and practice, but I would add that as part of your training you should seek hands-on mentoring, tutoring or an internship with a properly trained stage hypnotist.

You must get the mentality of a magician out of your mind. And the idea comparing learning hypnosis to learning an effect or trick. It is much more than that and to do it justice does take, time, dedication, education and the real life application of these elements.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Friends and family do not really come to trust. They come down to the same reason that when you get an advanced degree at a job you are working for 4 years, the day you get the new degree, you are still basically the same person you were the day before you got the degree. They don't often give you a raise till you go to a new job.

In other words it is a matter of "Perception" and how they see you in general. They know too much about you. They knew you drunk and holding your head over the toilet in college, now you are going to be a hypnotist? Those social situations are very difficult to break through.

I had some trouble back 20 or so years ago on cruise ships. Back in the good ol days they deceided entertainers should do other things. Call the bingo game, or hand out towels at the pool. The voice over hits, people are all impressed with me and suddenly it hits them that I am the cabanna boy! Not the best way to start.

In other words it is mostly about you telling them things they may or may not know about hypnosis, giving them direction, and if they think you don't have that direction to offer, then well they may be tougher to help through the process.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Best
Explanation
Ever

Quote:
On 2010-10-23 16:49, Dannydoyle wrote:
Friends and family do not really come to trust. They come down to the same reason that when you get an advanced degree at a job you are working for 4 years, the day you get the new degree, you are still basically the same person you were the day before you got the degree. They don't often give you a raise till you go to a new job.

In other words it is a matter of "Perception" and how they see you in general. They know too much about you. They knew you drunk and holding your head over the toilet in college, now you are going to be a hypnotist? Those social situations are very difficult to break through.

I had some trouble back 20 or so years ago on cruise ships. Back in the good ol days they deceided entertainers should do other things. Call the bingo game, or hand out towels at the pool. The voice over hits, people are all impressed with me and suddenly it hits them that I am the cabanna boy! Not the best way to start.

In other words it is mostly about you telling them things they may or may not know about hypnosis, giving them direction, and if they think you don't have that direction to offer, then well they may be tougher to help through the process.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
The only time I spend with myfamily is xmas. I spend the rest of the year avoiding them.
JonChase
View Profile
Loyal user
Exeter, UK
225 Posts

Profile of JonChase
Quote:
On 2004-02-25 06:30, fengenroll wrote:
Hi fellas,

1. Is it true that it's almost impossible
to do hypnosis on friends and family?

Looking forward to any help you could provide.

F.

1. It IS f you believe it is. Otherwise there is absolutely no difference. The somnambulists will go instantly and the rest slower to not at all.

2. It doesn't. Hypnosis works anywhere - but it looks good on stage!

3. If you mean rehearse a show, charities are always looking for fund raisers and parties are great. If you mean practice actually hypnotising well.... if they aren't moving fast enough. Smile

4. Yes to both. Although on the course make sure that the instructor recognizes both the physical and psychological implications of messing around inside someones head. As you say it isn't a card trick.

5. Depends. I do both and use it for influence and motivational speaking.
Smiles

Jon Chase

http://jonathanchase.com
MrMclachlan
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of MrMclachlan
Procyonrising is on the right track with his remark to practising on 'non-hypnotisable' people. This is indeed how I first started practising. Even if they don't think this will work, you will gain confidence in your abilities and get some good set pieces memorised. So when it comes down to performing you shall know exactly what you're doing.

Best regards,
Kane
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » -- Curious about Hypnosis -- (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL