The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Card controls? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Shurikenstorm5
View Profile
New user
South Carolina
75 Posts

Profile of Shurikenstorm5
What are your favorite card controls?
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
For me, I think many wonderful things can be done with the overhand shuffle and the Hindu shuffle Smile
BalloonThief
View Profile
New user
California
63 Posts

Profile of BalloonThief
There are already a bunch of threads on the Café about card controls but the search function seems to be down for me right now. Here is a link to a google search which shows a bunch of those threads on the magiccafe.

https://www.google.com/#q=card+controls+......&start=0
Shurikenstorm5
View Profile
New user
South Carolina
75 Posts

Thank you wizard, I use both of those and don't know if I've ever been caught with either. Thank you Balloon thief I'll look at those too.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
They've served me well too Smile.

I've tried the diagonal insertion and multiple undercuts, but the ohs just seems less 'messy' or suspicious in my hands than the DU.

I'm also working on improving my cull and that can have nice applications.

My other go to control is with a locator card, but I tend to prefer a clean deck these days as I was relying on it too much.
Shurikenstorm5
View Profile
New user
South Carolina
75 Posts

I use the diagonal insertion with the pass, but I prefer to only use that when I have a little misdirection. I was never able to get the cull. I almost never use locator cards.
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
Classic pass if I need to control instantly, side winder or side steal if I have more time, overhand shuffle if it's ok for a shuffle to happen.

P!
carlyle
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of carlyle
I use the overhand shuffle a lot, but have been using a crimp a lot now too.

It kind of depends on the effect - if the magician is also allowed to see the card (and then have it signed) or if only the spectator may see the card. If everyone is allowed to look, I like use a DL from the middle (or even a DB'er on top - the selection can be signed and handled then). A switch of cards is my favourite kind of control I suppose.

Otherwise I am also enjoying J. K. Hartman's Push-under Switch and the Bluff Pass.
Teyo
View Profile
New user
New Brunswick, NJ
53 Posts

Profile of Teyo
Im not sure if its a card control but learning how to Pinky count was one of the best control I could evar learn
Teyo
View Profile
New user
New Brunswick, NJ
53 Posts

Profile of Teyo
Multiple false shuffles definitely throws your spectator for a loop.
CJ_Magic205
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of CJ_Magic205
Cull, overhand shuffle, and crimps until I'm confident enough in my pass. I love crimps, I think they really take a lot of the 'work' out of doing a control.
Anand Khalsa
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
201 Posts

Profile of Anand Khalsa
Crimps are a hugely underrated, extremely powerful tool. You don't have to fumble with the cards at all.
SamChak
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of SamChak
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2015, Shurikenstorm5 wrote:
What are your favorite card controls?

For laymen, I use the following card controls:

Control to the top: The Godfather's Top Gun Control

Control to 2nd from top: LePaul Bluff Pass

Control to the bottom: Ed Marlo's Convincing Control -- a refinement of Hofzinser Spread Cull

For magicians, I use underground card controls. Smile
ymumagic
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of ymumagic
I use a monte control almost all the time, and I'm working on the classic pass now.
SamChak
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of SamChak
Quote:
On Jan 14, 2016, ymumagic wrote:
I use a monte control almost all the time, and I'm working on the classic pass now.

So, basically you frequently use the Monte Control to move a selection from the center of the deck to the top and the bottom. Could you give us a little more info and background on the sleight, better still a demo video? Smile
ymumagic
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of ymumagic
I rarely use it to send cards to the bottom, it doesn't go as well, but I definitely use it all the time to control to the top.

I wish I could give you some background, however, it was shown to me quite a number of years of ago by a fellow magician and he didn't tell me where he had seen it Smile It may be his for all I know.

Its a control that is very reminiscent of a monte throw, what are the exposure rules for giving info on a topic such as this?
SamChak
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of SamChak
Quote:
On Jan 16, 2016, ymumagic wrote:
I rarely use it to send cards to the bottom, it doesn't go as well, but I definitely use it all the time to control to the top.

I wish I could give you some background, however, it was shown to me quite a number of years of ago by a fellow magician and he didn't tell me where he had seen it Smile It may be his for all I know.

Its a control that is very reminiscent of a monte throw, what are the exposure rules for giving info on a topic such as this?

Thanks for your reply. Since you have accumulated 50 posts, the Secret sessions under the The Banquet Room is open for you, where the secrets and methods can be discussed. You can create an unlisted demo video by changing the privacy setting as you upload it to Youtube. Unlisted videos don't show to viewers in the Videos tab of your channel page. They also don't show up in YouTube's search results unless someone adds your unlisted video to a public playlist.

If you want to keep the demo video a private matter that can only be seen by you and the users you select, you may just send the unlisted video to my PM box. Looking forward to seeing your underground Monte Control. Smile

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/157177?hl=en
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Card controls? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL