The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Risks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Houdinibleeding
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Houdinibleeding
How much of your act is based on solid material and how much is based on psychological and risky effects?
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Houdinbleeding,

I am new to this area and after extensive research have just stepped into performing. I have concentrated on the psychological and risky effects as you describe, and although I have had a few 'misses', which are probably due to my inexperience, the 'hits' that I have are astounding.

I have used some of the classics as well, but have yet to try a N**l w***er. I think if you try the risky approach it makes them more in awe, even if it goes wrong sometimes.
Suffolk
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of Suffolk
Around 50% of my act is based on suggestion, which I guess is what you mean by risky.

I actually think it makes relatively little difference to the spectator, but it means I can do some effects without recourse to props.

For example: why use Hypno-heat when you can do it with suggestion (every performance, works every time)?

If you are interested, I suggest (no pun) you examine the works of Kenton Knepper & Luke Jermay among others.

Doug
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
My best reactions come from "risky" effects. The more I can "believe" in and "flow" with what I am doing, the easier it is for me to deal with whatever happens between the participants and me. Then, the degree of risk that I perceive diminishes greatly. A way usually comes to me that allows most situations to work out OK.

Because the rewards are greater, I find myself moving more and more in this direction and away from formal props and pre-determined formulas. The way I see it, risky / psychological techniques allow more of the magic to occur inside the minds of the participants. This means that they are more deeply involved in what is happening, and that can only lead to greater impact.

I have found Knepper and Jermay of great help along these lines as Doug mentioned above. In addition, I think that Osterlind's ebook, "Making Magic Real" is also of great value along these lines. And, Doug, it does my heart good to hear what you are doing with Hypno-heat (or should I say, without Hypno-heat). Ha!
Nicholas
Suffolk
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of Suffolk
Thank you.

Actually it grew out of a conversation I had with Luke awhile ago so I can't take all the credit.

Doug
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Typically, about 75% sure-fire and the rest I'm willing to take chances with things that do not always work 100%.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
698 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
About 50-50 for me... Unless I'm trying to get a booking, then I'll go with something that kills.

The great thing is, a lot of what I do can blend into something else. For instance, if I fail with a psychological force, I pick it up with a short cold reading ("Interesting choice; are you a deeply creative person? People who choose ____ usually are..."). And so forth.

Hypnosis, however, is something I never take chances on. I'm constantly checking for suggestibility so, when the time comes, I know exactly who to pick for a hypnosis demonstration.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Risks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL