The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Luck of the Draw by Liam Montier (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
I am thinking to myself if this will work or not? as it is quite plain to see ,without giving anything away,but the bag,if you know what I mean ,just quite obvious,perhaps get the spectator's to shut their eye's when they dip in.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Firestarter you are focusing your attention where no spectator would. It's just a plastic bag and they just reach in and pull out a ticket. Very innocent.

(when I say "no spectator would" I'm talking about non-magicians and I'm talking about a real performance and not "here's a trick I just bought tell me if it fools you".
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
What a great idea. Liam really is a creative guy.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On Nov 29, 2015, MeetMagicMike wrote:
Firestarter you are focusing your attention where no spectator would. It's just a plastic bag and they just reach in and pull out a ticket. Very innocent.

(when I say "no spectator would" I'm talking about non-magicians and I'm talking about a real performance and not "here's a trick I just bought tell me if it fools you".

Well I get what you say and I am proberly thinking like a Magician ,but I still say the bag seem's rather bulky to me,but hey some dam good routines so I am well happy and will give it a wirl.
jruiz0216
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of jruiz0216
I think if it is used non nonchalantly like to help pick the page for a book test/magazine it will fly by.

I made up several Tru-Test ready mags and have one glance mag--If they choose glance then I won't need to use the bag. But in case they do choose a tru-test ready mag I'll be ready.
I'll have someone choose a magazine, another random person grabs a number out of the bag, BAM! done deal.
I do not even plan on saying "look at this bag, all random numbers" type of patter. I figure that if I take the bag to them and they see the numbers all random (they will be sitting thus bag will be at eye level) no questions will be asked.to me the bag is just a bag, so to the spec it will also just be a bag

Quote:
On Nov 30, 2015, Fire Starter wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 29, 2015, MeetMagicMike wrote:

Well I get what you say and I am proberly thinking like a Magician ,but I still say the bag seem's rather bulky to me,but hey some dam good routines so I am well happy and will give it a wirl.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
I have got to say, I have not used this as it yet,just looks so dam obvious and I am trying not to think like a Magician but it just looks so wrong,2 perhaps but 3 Nah,really trying to like it but just not sure, I will give it a shot and see how it goes.
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
I bought this from bigblind media. When it came it looked like the bags were defective. Below are copies of the emails between me and Liam:

16 Dec 2015: To BigBlind Media
I am somewhat confused. The bag I got has two “zip ties” on one end. So you have an open center compartment and two "sealed" outer compartments. The bottom end of the bag is just open. When I look at the videos of the trick it looks like the spectator is reaching into the end with the zip ties not the "bottom" end. If I did this all the tickets would fall out. What am I missing?

Ted

17 Dec 2015: To Me
That is bizarre - perhaps it somehow got damaged during transit, as if the bottom of the bags had been open when I was packaging your order, the tickets and instructions would have fallen straight through!

How do you want to proceed matey? The bags are common place, and I could refund you a couple of dollars so you could pick some up on eBay? Or I could ship you some more bags, but that would be slightly cost prohibitive - posting you some bags that cost a few cents will cost me about $5 international shipping - but I’ve got no worries with doing that if that's what you prefer?

Let me know matey Smile

Cheers,

Liam.

17 Dec 2015: to Liam
I took another look at the package. It looks like it was opened (maybe in customs) and resealed. That could be where the problem happened.

I'd like you to send me new bags since I can't get any that are the size of yours.

Thanks, Ted

8 Jan 2016: to Liam
Did you send me a new bag?

Ted

8 Jan 2016: to Me
I did, a good couple of weeks back now - cost me $6 to send four plastic bags!

They still not arrived I take it?

Liam.

8 Jan 2016: to Liam
Not arrived yet. When they do I'll PayPal you $3. It's only fair to split the cost.

Ted

23 Jan 2016: to Liam
Still haven't received the bags and my offer to split the cost still stands. In fact, I'll pay the complete $6 if you send another.

Ted

As of today 28 Jan, 2016 I have not received the replacements or any further email.

I would not do business with BigBlind Media. They do not seem to be concerned with making this right. If I don't hear something in the next two days I'll file a complaint with PayPal.

I hope to let you know soon that this has been resolved. In the mean time don't do business with them.

Ted
Mentalism for the Metroplex
Liam Montier
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Liam Montier
Hi Ted,

Did your replacement bags arrive? It's like the third set I sent you, not having much luck with this international post!

Looking forward to hearing from you dude,

Liam.
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
Got them and like I said I PayPal'd you the postage.

Thanks, Ted
Mentalism for the Metroplex
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
While I admit that this is NOT the kind of trick I typically do (I prefer Liam's card work) I can still recognize this as a good effect & a great prop

Creator: Liam Montier
Publisher: Big Blind Media
MSRP: $ 25
Skill Level: beginner
DVD Run time: 1 trick explained 8 min 20 sec

Type of effect: prediction effect

Manufacturer's Write Up:

Luck of the Draw is a killer new utility for mentalists and magicians alike! You get...
An incredibly deceptive & natural looking 3 way force bag (Don't throw your 'Luck Of The Draw' packaging away... it's the force bag! HA!). This thing is so squeaky clean that you can happily let your spectator's handle and use it. It's a fast route to 100% hands off, self working mentalism!!!

For ultimate deceptiveness, each stack of raffle tickets contain a total mixture of colors! This makes all the tickets look random, very different, and colorful to use!

We are SURE that you will have your own ideas and routines for this awesome utility prop, but check out the instructions for 'packs small, plays big' mentalism that will work on tables, or on stage. Book Tests, Add a Number, Card At Any Number, and MORE

How accurate is the ad copy? Very straightforward

What's in the box?

100 Random Raffle Tickets
100 Force Raffle Tickets (in various colors)
A SECOND 100 Force Raffle Tickets (with a different number)

A Booklet of KILLER tricks and ideas - includes Liam's lecture highlight 'Pyrite' (a self working 'Card At Any Number'!!!)

A free video download which teaches you everything you need to know to perform 'Pyrite!

Key points: You can even use the packaging the effect comes in AS the force bag - everything is included!

How are the production values: Much like any other Big Blind Media video, it's Liam in that famous library backdrop. HD camera, well mic'd with multiple angles. BBM knows how to make good videos!

Is it well made: It's paper raffle tickets and a plastic bag - what more do you want? Sure, it's well made - couldn't be made any better, just so long as you are not expecting ear pieces, or nano technology.

Is it well taught: Here's where you have to read the fine print. The trick ideas are all on the pdf, so there is only 1 effect taught on the video. Granted once you understand the concept you don't need video instruction for every effect and more than likely you'll come up with your own hybrid version that suits your style.

My thoughts (what I personally liked/disliked): I liked how professional this looks and how well made this effect is. I think it has multiple uses for both parlor and party style magic. I could even see how you could combine this with another effect where the number prediction was part of "something else" much bigger. Great utility with lots of room for exploration.

Storage? Does it "pack flat?" this only uses the bag and tickets in the bag, can be "wadded up" pretty compact.

Does it "play big?" mentalism / prediction effects can always play big, of course with the right presentation this has great potential.

Difficulty / Skill level required: the bag and the spectator does all the work for you - this requires very little skill.

How much arts and crafts are involved? Liam has done it all for you. Put the tickets in the bag and you are good to go.

How practical is this in the real world? (can it really be done?) I think you need to think through your handling and presentation, but yes - this is a real world worker.

Overall score: let's toss out the traditional score of 1-10 and make this something that we all can appreciate and understand.

X Very Satisfied
_____ Somewhat Satisfied
_____ Neither Satisfied or Dissatisfied
_____ Somewhat Dissatisfied
_____ Very Dissatisfied
_____ No Opinion

Strong DVD and strong effect. Another winner from BBM

+ Hey do you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas? Visit this link for my video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLP4Oyx-zOU
garys
View Profile
New user
Hertfordshire, UK
60 Posts

Profile of garys
Quote:
On May 3, 2016, DavidKenney wrote:

A Booklet of KILLER tricks and ideas - includes Liam's lecture highlight 'Pyrite' (a self working 'Card At Any Number'!!!)

A free video download which teaches you everything you need to know to perform 'Pyrite!

+ Hey do you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas? Visit this link for my video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLP4Oyx-zOU

Great thanks for the review. I enjoyed your video.

You said that there is a download link showing a few basics. I have just had a look on the printed instructions and the front cover, I can't find the link. can you remember where abouts the link is printed?

Thank you.

Gary
BifKahuna
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of BifKahuna
Just ran across this one. It looks great. I love the idea of the book test with this. I will probably use multiple books (4 maybe) and memorize the info needed from each book. Which would be super easy since forcing the page and word.

Looks Awesome! Can't wait to get one.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Luck of the Draw by Liam Montier (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL