The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Crimpology/ by the godfather (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
SmileAndNod
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of SmileAndNod
The major advantage is the ease of getting into the Palm. You don't have to change the angle of the coin or doing any weird gestures like extending the fingers (as in fp) or distorting the hand (as in cp). It's a good transitional palm as in the original demache change. I'm personally not a fan of leaving a coin there for too long as it doesn't seem natural, but that's just me.
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1415 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
What are the angle issues? I perform standing up with spectators all around often in mix and mingle situations so angles are important for me
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of BDZ, Holidayz, The Grayle, DUO, Secret Servante, Genetics, Vision, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
There are some angle issues but I teach to avoid any bad angels
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Nov 13, 2015, simplymagicweb wrote:
As a concealment method, what would you say is the major advantage of using it compared to other methods Funsway?

easy and multiple ways of getting into the position and simple transition to other palm positions when desire.

In many situations this means less finger movements or "tells" but that may be only important to magicians Smile

Also, clean release for toss actions such as a "pluck" production at the fingertips.

the key is not always "better than" but "in combination with" or "an alternative to"

So, I guess the real answer is "confidence" from control and flexibility.

Vinny attempts to use it in every routine. I prefer to use mixed methods. Providing a choice is one reason for the books.

Every reader gets to pick out what works and ignore the rest.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
Quote:
On Nov 13, 2015, SmileAndNod wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 13, 2015, Craig Ousterling wrote:
Vinny, this move is worth the time you've put into it. I don't know how you showcase this particular thing? But this move is worthy of being explored.

Demo:
https://youtu.be/po55kMUU4Og - Two Demanche changes following a shuttle.... why the putting down of the 2nd coin though? wtf. Brain fart?

The second coin bumbling is ugh.... but I didn't want to tape it for the 70th time. I figured 69 would be good enough. Smile

Try to avoid making a move out of a shuttle pass. What you're doing right now is, pick up copper, shuttle pass, put down copper - 3 separate actions. Try it this way (I'll describe vision cues, even though your eyes aren't in frame) Pick up copper, as your eyes look over the table moving over to read the card saying copper. Once your eyes reach the card, they lift up to meet the spectators'. In that same moment you do the shuttle pass and immidietly put the coin down. Your eyes bounce back from the spectators' in the same moment to meet your hand putting the coin down and then scan the table for a silver coin.

The action you describe reminds me of Tom Stone's teaching's. I would totally WANT to do it that way had the camera caught my facial expressions. My thinking has turned toward how to do this in a spectators hands rather than use cards on a table. I feel like I need to revert to Roth, Gallo, or some 'other' seasoned magician that has put the work and time into solving the problem decades ago. Smile
SmileAndNod
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of SmileAndNod
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2015, Craig Ousterling wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 13, 2015, SmileAndNod wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 13, 2015, Craig Ousterling wrote:
Vinny, this move is worth the time you've put into it. I don't know how you showcase this particular thing? But this move is worthy of being explored.

Demo:
https://youtu.be/po55kMUU4Og - Two Demanche changes following a shuttle.... why the putting down of the 2nd coin though? wtf. Brain fart?

The second coin bumbling is ugh.... but I didn't want to tape it for the 70th time. I figured 69 would be good enough. Smile

Try to avoid making a move out of a shuttle pass. What you're doing right now is, pick up copper, shuttle pass, put down copper - 3 separate actions. Try it this way (I'll describe vision cues, even though your eyes aren't in frame) Pick up copper, as your eyes look over the table moving over to read the card saying copper. Once your eyes reach the card, they lift up to meet the spectators'. In that same moment you do the shuttle pass and immidietly put the coin down. Your eyes bounce back from the spectators' in the same moment to meet your hand putting the coin down and then scan the table for a silver coin.

The action you describe reminds me of Tom Stone's teaching's. I would totally WANT to do it that way had the camera caught my facial expressions. My thinking has turned toward how to do this in a spectators hands rather than use cards on a table. I feel like I need to revert to Roth, Gallo, or some 'other' seasoned magician that has put the work and time into solving the problem decades ago. Smile

The important thing is to decide which moments you want the spectator to see, and which points you want them to not see. You need to place all your focus on the moments you want them to remember, while minimizing focus on every other part, including the shuttle pass. The issue is the moves are what we as magicians think are the most important, so of course we assign a lot of importance to those moves. You need to consciously edit them out.

I used to do a copper silver transpo in the spectators hands using a modified Roth Palm Change (I couldn't do it with silver dollars, so I had to do a more roundabout way) and it probably got the best reactions of any trick I did before I started learning about theory, but I was always so afraid to do it because it ended dirty and I didn't know how to deal with that. I had been caught out a couple of times trying to "sneakily" put it into my pocket. I also had a spectator refuse to play along with the patter at all, just generally being difficult, and the second I put the coin in his hand and told him to hold it tight he opened up his hand to look at the coin.

I realize now that I was focusing too hard on the dirty hand (oh look, that all tied together, I didn't mean it to. I was just rambling).
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Good thoughts -- especially the distinction between "want them to see and "want them to remember."

Many factor can influence the memory besides visual input.

An early mentor told me, "a succession of effects can create a desire to see magic so strong that the audience will create it out of nothing."
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Crimpology/ by the godfather (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL