The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Windows 10 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I got the free update to Windows 10. So far, the only physical change I've seen is that the animated window that you had to go to when you wanted to shut down or browse around in your computer has been minimized. The only negative thing is something odd. When my battery runs low and I plug in the cord, I lose my screen! It's still there, if you tilt the laptop, you can see it still running, but the lumination is gone! I have to shut down the computer and when I bring it back up, it goes right to the screen I just left. It's annoying, but what can I do?

(I just updated all my drivers with driver booster, we'll see if that changes anything.)

My wife, on the other hand, also updated to Windows 10, and it ate her computer! It would go into some sort of spasms every time she tried to boot up! She finally took it to a shop and had them take out Windows 10 and return Windows 8.1 to her system.

Anybody else have horror stories about Windows 10? Here's the place to vent.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Updating the drivers changed nothing.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Ed, I think it works better for me. It solved the problems I always had with playing videos on Windows 8.1.

Tom
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I only have 7 pro but it seems to work OK.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
We just bought a new computer a few days ago. I have been setting up the features and apps. on Windows 10. I think it is incredible. Cortana, Microsoft Edge browser and the ability to synch and share on all of our mobil devices. Our last computer had windows 7 and the difference is night and day.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Cortana refuses to speak English to me, because my OS is German. Siri not only speaks English to me, but does so with a British accent. American and Australian accents in male and female voices are also available.

My German is good enough to use Cortana in German, but it would make me feel really stupid to talk to my laptop in something other than my native tongue. I don't like using the metric system, either.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
ACHTUNG!
ALLES TURISTEN UND NONTEKNISCHEN LOOKENPEEPERS!
DAS KOMPUTERMASCHINE IST NICHT FÃœR DER GEFINGERPOKEN UND MITTENGRABEN! ODERWISE IST EASY TO SCHNAPPEN DER SPRINGENWERK, BLOWENFUSEN UND POPPENCORKEN MIT SPITZENSPARKEN.
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blinkenlights
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
OK, that was really a LOL! Thanks, Tommy.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2015, stoneunhinged wrote:
I don't like using the metric system, either.

Ruddy immigrant, clinging to his strange ways. Assimilate, dammit!
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2015, TomBoleware wrote:
Ed, I think it works better for me. It solved the problems I always had with playing videos on Windows 8.1.

Tom

I wasn't having any problems with 8.1 except that I didn't like the big window you have to use to shut down or use internal programs.
10 isn't giving me any problems except for the screen going black (NOT shutting down, mind you, just going black) when I plug in the external power.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Windows 10 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL