The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Beginner Question 3: Tricks in a PC Age (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Hi folks, sorry to keep seeking your wisdom - but it's better to get input at this stage than run into problems later. Please bear with me Smile

An issue that has been ticking over in my mind recently, as I've been watching many acts and doing dome background research, is the issue of what is considered 'suitable' in this highly litigious, health and safety conscious, politically correct era.

Now, that many of the kids show gags and scripts of yesteryear are obviously racist or sexist is really beyond question, and I wouldn't be caught dead doing that sort of stuff. That sort of clear cut thing isn't really my concern.

But there are a range of tricks and routines that I am a bit concerned about - concerned as to what parents or a hyper-sensitive public might think. I find a number of routines and his of business quite funny or appealing, but I really don't want to cause offence, or worse, endanger any kids. So with that in mind, what are people's experiences with the following sort of things:

'In-the-mouth' tricks - like spongeballs to mouth, mouth coils, balloon swallows, funny bubble gum etc
'Piercings' and 'choppings' - needle through arm, guillotines etc
'Fire' effects - fire wallets, fire swallowing etc
Giving out candy and sweets to kids
Using innuendos for adults (that hopefully the children don't get)
'Toilet humour' - coins from butt, fart sounds and jokes, snot and other crude gags

I know some of this will be controversial, but I think it'll be helpful for me to get a sort of rough reading from professionals as to what is, or isn't, acceptable.

Thanks in advance! Smile.
eralph357
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of eralph357
I think it completely depends on what expectations you set to begin with. I would think in your marketing you would give potential clients an idea of what to expect from your act. If you market yourself as an edgy, fire-eating, chopping, 'dangerous' magician and that's what you deliver, you'll be fine. If you market yourself as a clean-cut 'family' performer and do the 'dangerous' act, people will get upset. Similarly, promise 'danger' and deliver 'family' and people will be upset too.

This of course in turn assumes you know what kind of act you want to be, and the naturally more narrow market associated with it.
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1256 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
So much depends on your performance style. I can do sponge balls from mouth and mouth coils and no issues ... I feel a balloon swallow is something I won't do for kids but I have seen performers do it and feel they pull it off. Example Shawn Farquhar...
I use d to do a wrist chopper with a kid and now modify any chopping effects to use an adult. I play it light hearted and feel it plays well.
I think generally we err a bit to the "too worried about it" side of things but my 2guiding principles are I trust my gut and for good business I would steer clearer of anything that could hamper their wanting to rehire me...
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of noland
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2015, Terrible Wizard wrote:
Hi folks, sorry to keep seeking your wisdom - but it's better to get input at this stage than run into problems later. Please bear with me Smile

An issue that has been ticking over in my mind recently, as I've been watching many acts and doing dome background research, is the issue of what is considered 'suitable' in this highly litigious, health and safety conscious, politically correct era.

Now, that many of the kids show gags and scripts of yesteryear are obviously racist or sexist is really beyond question, and I wouldn't be caught dead doing that sort of stuff. That sort of clear cut thing isn't really my concern.

But there are a range of tricks and routines that I am a bit concerned about - concerned as to what parents or a hyper-sensitive public might think. I find a number of routines and his of business quite funny or appealing, but I really don't want to cause offence, or worse, endanger any kids. So with that in mind, what are people's experiences with the following sort of things:

'In-the-mouth' tricks - like spongeballs to mouth, mouth coils, balloon swallows, funny bubble gum etc
'Toilet humour' - coins from butt, fart sounds and jokes, snot and other crude gags

I know some of this will be controversial, but I think it'll be helpful for me to get a sort of rough reading from professionals as to what is, or isn't, acceptable.

Here's my two cents. It's my own personal response, and I don't offer my choices as inflexible guidelines of what's OK and what's not.

Mouth coils and funny bubble gum from the mouth are very funny to kids, especially if you talk "funny" when you produce them. So I thing it's OK to do them. I don't like sticking stuff in my mouth, so I don't do them, but I think they're fine.I wouldn't do a balloon swallow, I see that as completely different.

Some choppings and guillotine effects are fine for older children (say 10 and up), but not younger children.

Older kids, say 8 and up, think fire effects are really cool, although I wouldn't do a fire swallowing trick. The problem with fire is that there are a lot of venues that don't allow it. If you make your show dependent on fire effects, you'll find yourself frequently having to drop those effects when you play in venues that ban fire. So you're going to have to carry around a back-up trick that's equally good. So why bother? Drop the fire, and try to find a really good trick to use instead, and which you can always use. Be practical.

I never give out candy to kids, for a lot of reasons.

Innuendo does not belong in a kid's show ever. You will make yourself look tawdry in the eyes of at least some of the adults, and it will hurt your image and future bookings.

Toilet humor, butt jokes etc. kill with the right age group. Do the ones that fit your character and you feel comfortable with.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
A really simple self-assessment that is hard to argue with: Have you EVER heard someone in charge of a children's event say, "He was a good magician, but I wish he would have used more toilet humor"?

'In-the-mouth' tricks - I stay away from them, both because of the choking hazard and the disgust factor.

'Piercings' and 'choppings' - I use caution, but they are not off the table. I would never use a knife or needle because kids are likely to have access to those things. But a weird handchopper (unlikely to be found by a child), with a funny and non-frightening presentation, with the right kid of an age to not wet himself, I may do.

'Fire' effects - I don't do them at birthdays. I have abandoned the fire wallet simply because it's a bit hack and screams "Prop, not skill or talent". However, I have used the fire wallet in the past at restaurants, and I have done fire eating at family events.

Giving out candy and sweets to kids - I don't see the point to giving out food. Sometimes I may if it's part of a trick (example, if something changed into candy). I don't find it particularly objectionable, since parents can take it from their child, but I don't see the value of it, either.

Using innuendos for adults (that hopefully the children don't get) - If they don't get it, why do it? If you are a children's entertained, entertain the children. That is why you are hired. I will get disagreement here, but if the kids are happy, the parents will be happy. I am a parent, the most joy comes from seeing my child happy, not the need to be entertained myself. If you DO feel the need to entertain the adults, that's okay, but why use off-color innuendo? Be clever and witty, not potentially offensive.

'Toilet humour' - Read my opening statement on this one.
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of noland
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2015, Starrpower wrote:
A really simple self-assessment that is hard to argue with: Have you EVER heard someone in charge of a children's event say, "He was a good magician, but I wish he would have used more toilet humor"?

'In-the-mouth' tricks - I stay away from them, both because of the choking hazard and the disgust factor.

'Piercings' and 'choppings' - I use caution, but they are not off the table. I would never use a knife or needle because kids are likely to have access to those things. But a weird handchopper (unlikely to be found by a child), with a funny and non-frightening presentation, with the right kid of an age to not wet himself, I may do.

'Fire' effects - I don't do them at birthdays. I have abandoned the fire wallet simply because it's a bit hack and screams "Prop, not skill or talent". However, I have used the fire wallet in the past at restaurants, and I have done fire eating at family events.

Giving out candy and sweets to kids - I don't see the point to giving out food. Sometimes I may if it's part of a trick (example, if something changed into candy). I don't find it particularly objectionable, since parents can take it from their child, but I don't see the value of it, either.

Using innuendos for adults (that hopefully the children don't get) - If they don't get it, why do it? If you are a children's entertained, entertain the children. That is why you are hired. I will get disagreement here, but if the kids are happy, the parents will be happy. I am a parent, the most joy comes from seeing my child happy, not the need to be entertained myself. If you DO feel the need to entertain the adults, that's okay, but why use off-color innuendo? Be clever and witty, not potentially offensive.

'Toilet humour' - Read my opening statement on this one.

I agree with most of what you say. Your comments about toilet humor made me think about this one brand of material further. Examples of what I think of as toilet humor include the production of a diaper (Silly Billy), and the performer's reaction to it (gross out), and producing a coin in the course of performing the miser's dream, ostensibly from the kid's butt (Robert Baxt and Chris Capehart). I thought both bits of business were funny as performed by these performers and OK in my eyes. I'm sure there are other toilet humor gags I might not care for.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
It is down to personality and style.

Here is my take. Sexist bits, racists bits, bits that involve touching a girl anyplace really, or a boy from the chest down, are out completely. If I was a female performer that would of course be reversed.

Things from the mouth I find fine. I produce a shower of cards from the mouth regularly, and the balloon swallow used to be a key routine for me.

Fire effects, chopping, etc, I don't personally use but have no problem with them. The key thing is to entertain everyone and scare NO ONE. You can scare adults all you like, but a kids show entertainer does not scare the kids. So don't. If you can do those effects without scaring them, that is fine.

Jokes that go over the heads of the kids - why? Bad, rookie mistake. Sure it is the adult that pays you and books you, but you are judged by the reaction of the kids. You are doing a kids show, so do a kids show. Leave the innuendo to the comedy club.

Toilet humour - a little goes a long way. Kids love disgusting noises and some of the other bits. You don't have to go overboard with it though.

Those things said, I feel you have a very wide latitude in what you can say and do. I have no problem making jokes about drink, my appearance, evolution, anything really. As long as it is funny (not offensive).
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Many good things to consider here, and I generally prefer to err on the side of caution - though I take serious note of what's been said about personal perspectives and persona/character. There's obvious differences between ages too (which will probably be my next beginner question) Smile

More perspectives, tips and wisdom appreciated Smile
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2015, Terrible Wizard wrote:

This will vary by performer based upon where in the world the performer is located, the ages and venues targeted, personal preference, and show construct.
The only one on the list that finds its way into my shows is "giving out candy and sweets to kids". I do not actually give them out, but I make lollipops available to those who wish to take one. The rest of the material on the list is not consistent with my brand.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I've never had a problem or bad comment about mouth coils. Kids absolutely love them and it really grabs attention. The bigger your facial gestures the better.

I use a finger chopper in almost every kids show. If the audience is only 3 year olds I won't do it but if it's a mixture of ages the 3 year olds will laugh along with the rest.

I use the wooden finger shopper rather than something that really looks like a blade. It's also completely safe. I have a very gentle style and and I explain how it's just a joke all along. I'm very aware of how the child is responding and if he is the least bit nervous I say "There is no reason you should do something that makes you nervous. Do you want to go back to the audience and maybe come back for a different trick?" Once in a while they say yes. There are always a bunch of kids raising their hands to be his replacement. Never a negative comment from any one about this and lots of positive comments.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Thanks for the added input Charlie and Mike. I admit that out of all the mouth tricks, the mouth coil looks like a lot of fun (thinking Baxt here). But I'm very conscious of how some might think about it for younger kids. But it does look entertaining Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Beginner Question 3: Tricks in a PC Age (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL