The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Apollo Ascending (DVD and Gimmick) by Apollo Riego (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Charlieherbertmagic
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Charlieherbertmagic
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2015, RNK wrote:
I have always been curious about levitation effects so I went ahead and bought this to support my local brick and morter magic shop. The DVD is good quality and Apollo teaches you everything you need to know. You will have a gimmick in your deck. Though, the gimmick is easily hidden in the deck and the cards can be spread and shown within your hands for a clean display. The get ready position is easy to get into. The gimmick will take a little practice to get used to in order to make the rise and descend look good. But shouldn't take to much practice to get it right. Can you perform other card effects with the gimmick in your deck? I would say yes. Can a spectator truly look under the floating card and see nothing- with one of the gimmicks, yes. But if you are in a very well lit area that gimmick may be spotted. And Apollo mentions that on the DVD.

If you are holding the deck in the left hand, I would say you would have to watch your angle directly in line to your right (3 o'clock). But I think after practicing to perform the levitation flawlessly you might be able to get away with that angle issue. You don't want people to see behind the deck. But if people are standing behind you I do think you can get away with the levitation by holding the pack between chest and waist level close to your body. No one will see anything.

Do I like it? I think I do but I will have to play with it a little to give a more definite answer. After seeing the gimmick- do I think I would use this? Yes. I do like the fact that the gimmick is very well hidden before using it and the gimmick will not make you deck of cards look suspicious when not in use.

RNK

Thanks for the info, is this an entirely new method?
Ceierry
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1582 Posts

Profile of Ceierry
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2015, Charlieherbertmagic wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2015, RNK wrote:
I have always been curious about levitation effects so I went ahead and bought this to support my local brick and morter magic shop. The DVD is good quality and Apollo teaches you everything you need to know. You will have a gimmick in your deck. Though, the gimmick is easily hidden in the deck and the cards can be spread and shown within your hands for a clean display. The get ready position is easy to get into. The gimmick will take a little practice to get used to in order to make the rise and descend look good. But shouldn't take to much practice to get it right. Can you perform other card effects with the gimmick in your deck? I would say yes. Can a spectator truly look under the floating card and see nothing- with one of the gimmicks, yes. But if you are in a very well lit area that gimmick may be spotted. And Apollo mentions that on the DVD.

If you are holding the deck in the left hand, I would say you would have to watch your angle directly in line to your right (3 o'clock). But I think after practicing to perform the levitation flawlessly you might be able to get away with that angle issue. You don't want people to see behind the deck. But if people are standing behind you I do think you can get away with the levitation by holding the pack between chest and waist level close to your body. No one will see anything.

Do I like it? I think I do but I will have to play with it a little to give a more definite answer. After seeing the gimmick- do I think I would use this? Yes. I do like the fact that the gimmick is very well hidden before using it and the gimmick will not make you deck of cards look suspicious when not in use.

RNK

Thanks for the info, is this an entirely new method?

More important, does this work, is is pratical? Pack small play big? Smile
Author of 10S Star Sign Divination - olivier.ceierry@gmail.com for a digital copy.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Well. Does pack flat. I think its new. Its a little knacky and more about getting the "feel" of it right. I do think its practical for close-up/parlour settings. Pretty easy to get into and to cleanup after which for the most part you could spread the cards for a clean display showing that there is nothing there.

I probably will use this once I get it down. I was frustrated at first but with continued practice its getting better and I do see the potential of this.

Hope that helps.....
Check out Bafflingbob.com
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
Angelo, I should have mentioned what you said before. To date, your floating card is my favorite of all that I own (Enlightenment, Lift Off, etc)- and sometimes when I do the rise in the mirror it really looks like there is nothing under the card! Depending on the angle and distance, you can sometimes get away with looking under the card. I guess I meant that this new effect there is actually nothing under the card to see. This one doesn't seem to float as high as yours, as yours you can really get the card up there.
Bill08
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
719 Posts

Profile of Bill08
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2015, nattefrost wrote:
Angelo, I should have mentioned what you said before. To date, your floating card is my favorite of all that I own (Enlightenment, Lift Off, etc)- and sometimes when I do the rise in the mirror it really looks like there is nothing under the card! Depending on the angle and distance, you can sometimes get away with looking under the card. I guess I meant that this new effect there is actually nothing under the card to see. This one doesn't seem to float as high as yours, as yours you can really get the card up there.

I'm sure there is something under the card to see, it's probably just very hard to see.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2015, Bill08 wrote:

I'm sure there is something under the card to see, it's probably just very hard to see.

Obviously there is something in play, if there wasn't it would be real magic,😉

The question is how deceptive is it? And I would say this is pretty darn deceptive.

Its a matter of getting the feel down. This is not an instant miracle but definitely within the reaches of all. Though, I will say that smaller hands MAY have to practice a little more to get the feel.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
PR_Magic
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of PR_Magic
Apparently, this is what it's supposed to look like: https://www.instagram.com/p/-keOvHHo0q/?taken-by=apolloriego
PR_Magic
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of PR_Magic
There are strengths and weaknesses to any effect. It's up to you (the magician) to discover what those strengths and weaknesses are. You'll only know when you've performed the effect(s) live in front of real spectators.
Cartman
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Cartman
Does anyone have any tips on how to clean the gimmick if it gets dirty (the c***r one)
Cartman
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Cartman
Does anyone have any tips on how to clean the gimmick if it gets dirty (the c***r one)
pelicantrapper
View Profile
Regular user
VA
193 Posts

Profile of pelicantrapper
Windex? I feel like the gimmick would not hold that much dirt but it could get a bunch of tiny scratches. Maybe try making a new one using the one as a guide.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Apollo Ascending (DVD and Gimmick) by Apollo Riego (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL