The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Finding Matching Coin Sizes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
804 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
How do you folks go about finding a coin whose size closely matches that of different coins? For example, we know that a US half dollar is very close to an old English penny, etc...

The coin I need to match is silver, and 36.07mm, so I need non-silver (copper, brass, etc), and somewhere from 36 to 37mm (approx). Ideally, a cool, exotic-looking coin would be best, but I'll cros that bridge when I come to it.

I've tried using the Web, but there are far too many coin resources, and precious few of them are concerned with diameter. How do I find possible matches?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Dan McLean Jr
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
Jerry Mentzer has some copper coins of the size of a silver dollar on sale. I am sure someone could help you with the URL.

I found a special coin from the "Harry Potter's world" (a "Gringott's coin") which is 38mm and seems to be made of brass. I found it... in a Belgian magic shop.
PM me if help needed with that.
Jonathan.
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
804 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Thanks, Jonathan! It's a Canadian silver dollar (not a Loonie) I'm looking to match, and although the typical ones are smaller, the ones I'm using, apparently called a "specimen/proof", are the same size as a US dollar. Therefore, a match will be easy to find!
Dan McLean Jr
Vincent
View Profile
Loyal user
New York Metro Area
270 Posts

Profile of Vincent
Good Morning,

What I have done in the past is search Ebay for a specific size coin.
A while back I was looking for a copper coin to make a C/S Coin but since I work with Morgans I needed it to be 38mm in size.
So I began a search on Ebay requesting information on all 38mm Copper Coins as they were listed for sale.
Every time such a coin was listed I was notified via email.
It took a while but eventually worked out.

I hope this helped a little.

Take Care,

Vincent
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Finding Matching Coin Sizes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL