The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A Christmas story in instalments (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Hi all. Just want to announce my latest venture. My hero Charles Dickens used to publish his novels in monthly instalments, and it set me thinking - what about a book in daily instalments?

This is a children's adventure story, with one chapter a day between December 1 and December 25. You can read it to the kids each night, or let them read it themselves. Like an advent calendar, with a new one to open every evening.

I would really appreciate it if people could share this and spread the word. A free Christmas adventure for the kids.

This is a sort of social experiment to see whether a story can be serialised today the way it was in Dickens' time. Please help me spread this far and wide by sharing! Tony

www.jiggersjournal.blogspot.com
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
As long as it's a physical book. Then yes.
But if you're talking about an ebook, then no.
Never. The experiment is not comparable.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I would love to do it with physical books, but at this point I don't have that clout within the publishing world. The day may come.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Just shared it with my small online world, Tony. Hopefully it'll bring you a few hits.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Dec 1, 2015, magicfish wrote:
As long as it's a physical book. Then yes.
But if you're talking about an ebook, then no.
Never. The experiment is not comparable.

Dickens serialized in magazines and newspapers. Not so different.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Very, very different.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Dec 1, 2015, magicfish wrote:
Very, very different.

What would make the audience attention/feature similar?

Perhaps a weekly "new" thread that builds for a few months then gets collected/parsed into longer form content?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I think it's a good idea, Tony. Lots of folks on YouTube have video series which are five minute episodes which come out every week or so. It's kind of the new way that unknown actors and scriptwriters hope to get their work seen.

I'm wondering about the every day, though. How long between episodes for Dickens? Would people need to sit and digest a bit between episodes? I know I would.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Magnus, thanks.

Landmark, Dickens wrote long. For this I will be writing short - about a thousand words a day. The idea just came to me on Sunday because I guess I had too much time between shows. As my agent said when I told her, at least it will get my creative juices flowing.

If it is rubbish no one has shelled out money for it. If people enjoy it, I will be delighted. So it's a no lose situation.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
An interesting endeavour, Tony, good luck.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I have read a book or two which have been serialized in news papers which a normally good but today I hardly buy a newspaper.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Aa a writer and teller of tales I support what you are trying to do. Anything that could be read out loud to kids in family setting would be grand.

The opportunity to even stop the story and explain things to the kids would be wonderful --just as watching TV with kids provides an opportunity to explain and expand.

But, there may be a trust issue that makes the project difficult. What are the messages, themes, religious and cultural bias that will prompt these discussions?

The problem is "for kids."

When I recommend a book, story or movie to a grandchild I know what questions might come up. I don't have to agree with the theme or messages -- just that I understand the issues involved.

I never recommend a TV series because we never know what issues will appear in the next issue. The plot selection is biased by public opinion and social pressure and Twitter count. Bah humbug!

So, sadly -- I would never start exposing kids to a running story that I could not preview first -- with confidence that the messages would not change along the way.

Not your fault. I help homeschool one of my grandchildren for the same reason. I no longer trust what is taught in schools -- especially when a lesson plan is unwritten and left to popular opinion.

Dickens work and Doyle's were written for adults who could balance ideas against ethical issues -- fiction against reality. KIds' exposure must be monitored (not controlled) and "made relevant."

Write the book most certainly. The serialize it if desired. Write this book as if you are creating in "on the fly" with kids sitting at you feet. Just do it!

Someday I might read it to my great- grandchildren. After I have read it.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Funsway, that is an interesting perspective.

As a parent I have a completely different perspective. I encourage my children to read voraciously, and if they see something that they need to or want to talk to me about, I am there for them. I place no restrictions on what they have access to, but I do expect them to discuss things intelligently with me afterwards.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Dec 2, 2015, TonyB2009 wrote:
Funsway, that is an interesting perspective.

As a parent I have a completely different perspective. I encourage my children to read voraciously, and if they see something that they need to or want to talk to me about, I am there for them. I place no restrictions on what they have access to, but I do expect them to discuss things intelligently with me afterwards.

I agree -- same perspective. If this idea will get adults and kids to do something together it will be great. Most do not seem to get involved in what there kids think or are exposed to.

but that is different from starting a series where no idea where it will go. Why would they be enticed to take part? What is it "they have access to?"
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Funsway, many authors wing it. I generally plan my books loosely, so this is an exercise in creativity for me. I don't know day to day what will happen to the characters, but I just hope readers enjoy the ride. If people feel that they can't read this with their children without knowing where it is going, it will remain live after December, giving them the opportunity to vet it before reading it to their young ones.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Terrific -- thanks.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A Christmas story in instalments (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL