The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Hustle by Juan Marcos (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
JustJoshinMagic
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, QC
966 Posts

Profile of JustJoshinMagic
Did we not watch the same DVD? This is something that everyone, magician and non-magician alike, owns. It's something you can grab from a CVS or Walgreens for crying out loud. There isn't any crazy arts and crafts involved. Luke Dancy and David Regal did an entire project using this concept and no one complained that they didn't include it. To complain about "for the price it should have been included" is ridiculous if you ask me. You get a DVD with multiple handlings, plus all of the cards you need (not just gaffs) for 25 bucks. Last I check that was a steal.
Check out my magic here:
http://JustJoshinMagic.com

and my official Instagram!
http://instagram.com/JustJoshinMagic
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Everyone owns? Really? Smile
I guess it was far too much trouble to have provided the necessary item. One gaff card is all that is required, and supplied. Very expensive considering. Next you'll have to supply your own gaff cards. Smile
canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
742 Posts

Profile of canaday
Review from themagicportal.us

I will have to be honest. When I first watched the trailer, the first thing that came to mind was another trick from the Wild Card/Gypsy Curse school of thought. So I knew exactly what the gaffs would look like before I ever opened the box. I got a pleasant surprise when I pulled the cards out. Watching the DVD showed me that while the moves were not new, they were routined into a very nice effect.

The trick is well taught and video of the performance is included. It is easy to do and will fool your audience. This is a trick that is good for both the table workers and those new to card magic. It includes some monte moves with just a touch of NFW. One additional item is needed but not provide. You most likely already have this in your arsenal. It might take a few run-throughs until you get it down but you will not be challenged by the mechanics.

When I go out I usually like to carry something in my pocket to share. As this is only a few cards, this is perfect whether you use a plastic card wallet or just drop the cards in the pocket. It is also good for walk around as the reset is quick.

Positives: Easy to do, quick reset. Good quality cards. Well routined.

Negatives: The effect has been covered by other Latino magicians in the past,

Conclusion: This is a keeper. Quick, easy and a real fooler.
Slackerking
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Slackerking
This is why I rarely come on here anymore. Now you guys are whining about a tiny piece of **** that, yes, almost every magician and practically every household in general has just sitting in a drawer. If you've ever bought another trick, you've likely already had to go out and buy this. You would have to replace it anyways, so you'd have to take your cheap selves to a store at some point and spend $3 anyways. Please, go ahead and don't purchase it.
NebA
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of NebA
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2016, Slackerking wrote:
Omfg, this is why I rarely come on here anymore. Now you guys are whining about a tiny piece of **** that, yes, almost every magician and practically every household in general has just sitting in a drawer. If you've ever bought another trick, you've likely already had to go out and buy this. You would have to replace it anyways, so you'd have to take your cheap selves to a store at some point and spend $3 anyways. Please, go ahead and don't purchase it.

When you get called out for being lazy by a guy named Slackerking, you know he means it Smile Smile
Kuroth
View Profile
Veteran user
Deep In the Heart of Texas
315 Posts

Profile of Kuroth
ROFL
Chapter 18 (Member circa 1938)
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2016, NebA wrote:

When you get called out for being lazy by a guy named Slackerking, you know he means it Smile Smile

Ha, ha, too funny NebA!

AFA as whining, I think it's a bit of a stretch to refer to a comment that someone is surprised that an important ingredient is not included as whining.
The very fact that the material in question is so cheap and readily available is all the more reason I think they should have included it, or at the very least made it known that it wasn't. May not be a big disapointment to you or I, but as a gift for a 12 year old at Christmas it very well may be.

Plus there is a history of it being included with this type of effect and the trick being complete and ready to go out of the box.
I've probably purchased a dozen or so effects using this method and the fact that it has ALWAYS been included is what made me surprised (not upset) that it wasn't included in this case. I do think they should make that more clear in the advertising. It's fine if their decision is to place that on the purchaser, just let them know up front that is the case.
Similar to putting "Batteries not included" on packaging. It's helpful to know even if you already have whatever may be required.

But that aside, I do like the trick. I think it's a fooler and a nice twist on the monte effect. It's very visual and quick as well as being easy to do.
I would recommend it, as long as you know you're going to need something else.
Craigers
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of Craigers
Do you need t**e or could you use rem***t sp**y ?
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Either one works
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2016, Craigers wrote:
Do you need t**e or could you use rem***t sp**y ?

With the brief reference to NFW (in the ad), I think I know what the t**e is. And, I also think I know what the sp**y is but I'll be darned if my feeble brain can figure out rem***t.

Please Sir, may I buy a vowel? (grin)

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Slackerking
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Slackerking
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2016, videoman wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2016, NebA wrote:

Ha, ha, too funny NebA!

AFA as whining, I think it's a bit of a stretch to refer to a comment that someone is surprised that an important ingredient is not included as whining.
The very fact that the material in question is so cheap and readily available is all the more reason I think they should have included it, or at the very least made it known that it wasn't. May not be a big disapointment to you or I, but as a gift for a 12 year old at Christmas it very well may be.

Plus there is a history of it being included with this type of effect and the trick being complete and ready to go out of the box.
I've probably purchased a dozen or so effects using this method and the fact that it has ALWAYS been included is what made me surprised (not upset) that it wasn't included in this case. I do think they should make that more clear in the advertising. It's fine if their decision is to place that on the purchaser, just let them know up front that is the case.
Similar to putting "Batteries not included" on packaging. It's helpful to know even if you already have whatever may be required.

But that aside, I do like the trick. I think it's a fooler and a nice twist on the monte effect. It's very visual and quick as well as being easy to do.
I would recommend it, as long as you know you're going to need something else.

Guess I was just grumpy at the time. I get your point and it's well explained in this post so can't really argue with your logic. Think I'm just tired of the negativity on the Café overall, every thread I read. And generally I agree with your take on things. Ignore me and Carry on Smile
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2015, Darwin Ortiz wrote:
The lineage goes back further still. If you check Jose Carroll's book, you'll see that he credits as his inspiration Fred Kaps' unpublished, ungaffed version of Peter Kane's Gypsy Curse. (The Kaps routine was also the basis for my own effect Beat the Devil from Scams and Fantasies with Cards.)

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz

Man! I love Darwin's "Beat the Devil" effect. No gimmicked cards. No t**e. No Rem***t sp**y. (grin) And, I love how thoroughly and clearly he explains and demonstrates the Hamman Count, the Overhand Shuffle version of the Hamman Count and how he explains his rationale for including (and excluding) certain handlings and "bits of business" into the routine.

NOW THAT'S the way a magic instructional video should be taught and shot. Way to go, Darwin.

Mike

(The foregoing is just IMHO; your mileage may vary...and probably does.) (grin)
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
I like it, but a bit pricey for a packet effect. The "effect" of the cards swapping places is not new (see Max Maven's "Inside Out" in Focus, p.28)which was marketed in the seventies,but that is a different methodology, and only 5 cards. I think it's a fair critique if you have to buy extra given the price, but those that can see themselves performing it will buy it and those that cannot will not. I like the fact all the cards are laid out face down, a good selling point, but it's no more examinable than Wild Card. In comparison, it's advantage is that wild card has been exposed a lot!

Smile
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2015, Saturn UK wrote:
This looks great, I love this kind of trick.

It is due to be released on Monday so we should have it on Wednesday.

Check it out here http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/saturn-magi......dvd.html

Hi Mark please post on the Café when you have in stock regards Tarik
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2654 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2016, Tarik Flash wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2015, Saturn UK wrote:
This looks great, I love this kind of trick.

It is due to be released on Monday so we should have it on Wednesday.

Check it out here http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/saturn-magi......dvd.html

Hi Mark please post on the Café when you have in stock regards Tarik

We have stock click the link above.
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
Craigers
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of Craigers
Arrived in the post today. don't ya just love it when the postman brings you a new trick to fool around with
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1997 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Hustle – Juan Marcos

Product description: I’m a huge fan of Stand Up Montee by Garrett Thomas and Ace by Richard Sanders, Hustle intrigued me. It looks like the 2 tricks had a baby and it is Hustle, very direct, very impactful and perfect to start a 3 card monte routine in my opinion. The idea is very simple, you have 7 cards, you show 6 jokers and 1 queen of Hearts, the aim is to find the queen. They first succeed and then.. succeed again! But did they? All the cards are turn over, you now have 6 queen of Hearts and only one jokers! I love the routine but is it as good as it seems? Let’s find out.

Price and where to buy it: This is sold at $24.95 and you can find it in nearly every Murphy's magic partner !

What you get: You get a slim DVD case with inside the DVD, which is really well shot and you understand the main routine which is really easy to do. You also get all the cards needed for the effect, you just have to add a bit of secret stuff which you should have at home. The setup is easy, so is the manipulation, this is a packet trick which will require some table space or do it in the hand of the spectator. Overall, I’m very pleased with this trick, it’s cheap and the impact on people is very good.

Teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZZDlGodpX4

The pros and the cons: Here is the core of my review, let's begin with the cons, as I will usually be doing, I prefer to keep the good things for the end.

THE CONS:
You don’t end clean so not all the cards are examinable after the reveal.
You’ll need some table space in order to place the cards.

THE PROS:
I love the idea behind this, it’s a 7 cards monte which makes sense and is perfect to introduce a “simpler” 3 card version after. I think this would works pretty well before Stand Up Monte by Garrett Thomas.
The trick is very easy to do, minimal and basics sleights are needed.
At the end of the routine, the spectator wins but then you reveal that in fact, you changed the rule of the whole game and I love the fact people think they won and you blow them away.
The reset is very simple, just place the card back in a pack and you’re almost ready to go again.
It’s a cheap trick! For less than $25, you have a powerful routine which can be done by anyone at any time with an amazing climax.

Overall rating: I really like Hustle, it’s an amazing routine which is perfect to introduce the 3 card monte, I’m still unsure whether I would perform it because of the need of a table but still a really good trick, 3,5/4 hearts.

As for the difficulty level, if you know your basic card magic sleight, you can do Hustle, 2/5 stars.

Similar products: I think you can go and check Stand Up Monte by Garrett Thomas and Aces by Richard Sanders, those are 2 very good tricks.

If you liked this review, make sure to check all my other ones on my website: http://lesavisdalexis.wixsite.com/reviews
Get yourself Stamper and MONU, the perfect walkaround packet tricks: https://youtu.be/rwtfeKFeLms & https://youtu.be/yz5yKlI-4w8

Make sure to check my English review Channel! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Hustle by Juan Marcos (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL