The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Must do? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
I am new to magic and have performed a number of shows (all still free) over the last year. however, they have all been to the 8-12 year old crowd. I volunteered to perform for my kids (twin 4 year olds) pre-school class next month and would like to take this opprotunity to learn something especially for the 4 year old crowd. So heres the question.

What is the ONE thing/routine/gag/ that that you "Must do" when performing to the 4 year old crowd? and most important Why?

Thanks,

Mike
Magic is fun!!!
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Ooooh...4 year-olds are a tough crowd. The whole idea of "object permanence" (the developmental people know what I mean) is just coming into play at that age. You're better off just having fun with some magic, rather than get serious. At that age, it's entertainment that's more fun than magic.

Steve Thomas
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
I would definitely have my breakaway wand with me and a tt and silk, which could be pulled out of ears, heads, hands, etc. The breakaway wand would cause lots of laughter as you mess up and the kids think its more funny the more it messes up on you.

Anyway, that's two, so I'm already over my limit. Just bring a goofy personality that gets a lot of laughs.

Oh yeah, do stuff that involves lots of shouting on cue and magic words-things the kids have to pay attention to know when to do it. Lots and lots of audience participation is very important!

Have fun,
Chad
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
This age group loves stories and puppets. You don't have to be a vent. The puppet whispers in your ear.

As fo magic, to them everything is magic, TV, A Car, so anything built around a story will od fine. The magic is secondary.

Dave Risley and Samual Patrick Smith are the experts in this field. A simple paper tree amazaes them. The coloring book is great, are two eas to do effects for this crowd.
Dennis Michael
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I would agree with Dennis on this one. Sammy Smith is a great source for routine ideas for this age group as he specializes in performing for this age level.

His rabbit in the hat goes over great with 4 yr olds. You need to have fun with the kids, be silly, tell stories and get the kids laughing at visual magic and comedy. They are not so much wowed by magic as they are just wanting to laugh and have a good time.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I agree, Sammy Smith is great with this age group, as is David Risely. They both focus on preschools and their material is very valuable.

Children of this age group absolutely love stories. The will say the magic words, they will do finger activities to make the magic work. As Sammy says, "the journey is more fun than the destination". Check out his stuff at http://www.spsmagic.com There's a wealth of info there.

Steven
Coram Deo
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
Thanks for the advice so far.

I have a coloring book that I have never used in performance. That will be fun to try out. I think I can get them shouting magic words and throwing imaginary colors on that one.

I will check out Sammy Smith. You mentioned that he has some good ideas for puppets? I have been wanting to try my hand at a simple but fun puppet routine. This might just be the excuse I need to dive into it.

As a craft, they will each put shiny stickers on a magic wand (which they keep) which they can wave on my last routine.

However, when YOU work with the 4 year olds, what is YOUR "Must Do" that you think is just the cat's meow? And why do you like to do it?
Magic is fun!!!
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Lots of funny wands, breakaway, spring etc, and lots of opertunities for them to join in, Shouting magic words, anilal noises, it's behind you etc etc. That way they stay eager right to the end as they love to join in and have fun.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
For your coloring book, which they are familar with, show them the lines drawings first, then after they throw the colors on ask them to erase them with their hands and the colors vanish leaving the line drawings.

Do it again, and they will start to get "wound-up" and they will aggressively erase hard. You could play with this and say "Stop that!" in a comical way, and they'll erase even harder.

Now they erased all the lines. "Tonight I'll have to draw all those pictures again, and that will be fun!" It's a good ending.
Dennis Michael
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Get them all invovled in the show. Wiggling their fingers, saying the magic word and use the magican get hurts hurt.. IE balloon snapping you in the hand, wand hitting you on the head ETC......
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Must do? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL