The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Deceptive Steps - how long can assistant stay in them? (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tsolo
View Profile
New user
NYC
61 Posts

Profile of tsolo
I'm thinking about a routine which would require an assistant to remain in Deceptive Steps for a couple minutes. Can anyone tell me if they or their assistant have experience staying put in the steps? Is the confinement painful?

Note: I don't have the steps yet, so I can't try it out.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
There are several designs for deceptive steps. It would depend on the illusion you were designing, how high off the ground, how many steps are therefore required. etc. Even what design you would like to use. Some staircases have open backs, and are spacious, so there is little sense on confinement. Only you know how you plan to use them, the staging, the angles etc.

Blair
Fabrison
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Fabrison
Staying inside steps are not a problem at all unless your assistant is not comfortable with a confined space which means you need a new assistant, lol
If the steps are built to fit your assistant they are actually confortable if built right because of the angle they lay on.
Claustrophobia should be you only worry for staying inside for a long time, again no magic assistant should be claustrophobic but just make sure if you have not hired and assistant yet or just want to use your fiends wife of daughter make sure first before you built to their size.
I have actually seen girls fall asleep inside a set of steps madd to fit their mesurments.
Depending on what type of steps you make, sometimes exiting the stairs can be a little tight and uncomfortable if you have to exit out the top.
Have fun with the project
tsolo
View Profile
New user
NYC
61 Posts

Profile of tsolo
Thank you Fabrison! That is the answer I needed. I'm considering everything before I invest in this.

And guess what? I am a 5"4, 115-lb. woman and I would be using a body double! So the steps will be a good investment because I would also be able to use them not just for the effect I'm considering, but in other effects where I'm transported in them myself.

Yes, there are 5"4 female magicians out there. Smile
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I usually spend a few hours in the illusions so I can figure out what can be done with them, how comfortable they are and how much room thay have. The presumes that I've already purchased them because it's a bit odd to go to someones shop and tell them to take a coffee break for an hour.
The broom harness was very difficult, however, since I'm NOT a 5'4" woman
tsolo
View Profile
New user
NYC
61 Posts

Profile of tsolo
Jay Leslie LOL
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
It's true

It's things like the mismade that are difficult, not impossible, just difficult, to sleep inside. (Stiff neck)

Then, when a new assistant says "I don't think I can move around inside" I would get in and show them that I could do it and they were smaller then me. Smile
Rodney
View Profile
New user
Texas
40 Posts

Profile of Rodney
A few minutes would be quite standard to stay in steps
Stu Turner
View Profile
New user
London
79 Posts

Profile of Stu Turner
Few minutes is more than fine. I used to be part of a male double act, and we opened our show with me appearing inside a set of screens, which was on top of a set of steps. We had them custom made for us by an illusion builder here in the UK, and made them as small as possible.

The steps were preset on stage before the curtains opened, and then there was a music routine my partner had to go through to lower blinds etc, before producing me. Although a snug fit, I was very comfy in them and could happily be in there 5-10 mins.
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
Does anyone else remember the Magic Magazine interview with Franz Harary some years ago? He built an appearance for Prince, with space for a mini-bar in the apparatus. That would be an awesome little hiding place.

He also mentioned that he and Janet Jackson had to hide out in one of his illusions so some people wouldn't see how it was done. They talked about their dreams and of preforming. *Repressed desire to have been Franz at that moment*
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
What about the poor Santa wearing his thick wooly suit, hat & beard having to crouch in a Tip O because you rolled it out on the stage 1/2 an hour before you started your show ... so no one would suspect anything.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
My wife spent two day in a set of deceptive steps - she's OK. She finally figured out how to get out.
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
It really depends on the build and design of the steps. Some steps require you to be really small and bending your body uncomfortably. But those that allows you to lie straight and almost in a sleeping position, those you can sleep in for hours Smile

I recommend putting a small radio inside and some snacks. And maybe a powerpoint to charge your assistant's phone.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Deceptive Steps - how long can assistant stay in them? (12 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL