The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » Is this 'Our Magic'? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nosslrak
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Nosslrak
So I found this book on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Theory-Practic......34939366

"The Art, Theory and Practice of Magic - Stage Illusions" by Nevil Maskelyne and David DeVant.

Is this "Our Magic"?

It shares the colour and illustration on the cover as the first edition. The text "Our Magic" is gone but with an added "Stage Illusions" at the end instead.

So is this the whole Our Magic, parts of Our Magic or something else?
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I haven't see this particular edition, but if it helps... Our Magic is divided into three sections: The Art in Magic, The Theory of Magic, and The Practice of Magic.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
My copy of "Our Magic" is the second edition, revised and enlarged. Copyright 1946 by Paul Fleming Gemmill. This edition is published by arrangement with E.P. Dutton and Company and George Routledge and Sons, Ltd., owners of the original copyright. All rights reserved.

This edition is volume three of the FLEMING MAGIC CLASSIC SERIES.

I have not seen the Dutton or the Routledge editions, but my Fleming copy is in three sections also: The Art in Magic, The Theory of Magic (both by Nevil Maskelyne) and The {Practice of Magic (by David Devant.

I am not familiar with "The Art Theory and Practice of Magic -- Stage Illusions" by Maskelynne & Devant.

It MIGHT be a previous, or subsequent book. I would suggest that you check with Dennis Haney of some other magic bookseller.

I bought my copy direct from Fleming in the '50s. My copy is in brown cloth binding with gold lettering: "OUR MAGIC" and. "Maskelynne and Devant" with a gold rabbit in a top hat.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Oddly, there's a facebook page for this book
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-T......70768946
but there has been nothing posted on the page.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Automatically generated by Facebook user interest. See if you can get it to create some more useful pages...like Three of Hearts by Your Freechoice with blurb The latest in this astonishing series of YA novels by ...
...to all the coins I've dropped here
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2015, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Automatically generated by Facebook user interest. See if you can get it to create some more useful pages...like Three of Hearts by Your Freechoice with blurb The latest in this astonishing series of YA novels by ...

Or perhaps extract the grit from the bearings.
James Herriot didn't make Tristan squeamish.
cart before horse?
atkinsod
View Profile
Regular user
VA
196 Posts

Profile of atkinsod
The post is quite old, but for anyone else looking, yes, it does appear that the book, "The Art, Theory and Practice of Magic - Stage Illusions" is a reprint of "Our Magic". It is not on the current "Wexford College Press" site, but they do reprints, and the listing under Abebooks for this title include editions of "Our Magic". Accordiing to the Abebooks site, there also seems to have been a reprint by Gyan Books Pvt. Ltd. (Delhi, India). Here's the entry for the India reprint:

Our magic : the art in magic, the theory of magic, the practice of magic 1911 [Hardcover]
"2015. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. 514 Lang:- eng, Pages 514, Print on Demand. Reprinted in 2015 with the help of original edition published long back[1911]. This book is in black & white, Hardcover, sewing binding for longer life with Matt laminated multi-Colour Dust Cover, Printed on high quality Paper, re-sized as per Current standards, professionally processed without changing its contents. We found this book important for the readers who want to know more about our old treasure so we brought it back to the shelves."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » Is this 'Our Magic'? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL