The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » French Drop with Sponge Balls problem (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

iLeW
View Profile
New user
Italy
19 Posts

Profile of iLeW
Hello guys,
it seems that there are not any topic about problem with the French Drop in sponge balls routines.
I'm trying to learn a good sponge balls routine and I'm currently using Jay Noblezada's DVD, Sponge in order to learn all the basics moves and I have some troubles in the French Drop. I'm using the 1.5 inches sponges (Super Soft By Gosh) and the move results to be very unnatural, the ball stucks in my hands or drops. Only if I do the move very slow I can complete the drop almost good. Do you guys have some suggestions? Some videos about french drop for sponge balls?

Thank you Smile

Ps.: I don't have small hands.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
The French Drop works best with heavier objects, rather than objects which tend to stick to your fingers. It has nothing to do with the size of your hands unless you are trying to French Drop a tennis ball instead of a ping pong ball. Stick with retention vanishes is my advice. A close relative of the French Drop is a roll vanish which works well with sponge balls.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
You can also do a modified Schneider Snap Vanish for fake-take, but only has a temporary hold.

I also have an unpublished SwingPass if you get desperate Smile It is a False-Take/Kickback rather than a fake-Take,
but limited as to follow-up moves. Incredible when it can be used as the passing hand is shown empty.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
iLeW
View Profile
New user
Italy
19 Posts

Profile of iLeW
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2016, jimgerrish wrote:
The French Drop works best with heavier objects, rather than objects which tend to stick to your fingers. [...]

I thought so, then are you telling me that it is better to focus on something else?

So, I will go into roll vanish and Schneider Snap Vanish. Are there some resources were to find these moves?

Quote:
On Jan 11, 2016, funsway wrote:
[...]
I also have an unpublished SwingPass
[...]

funsway, can you give me more information aboute this move?

Thank you, Smile
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Snap Vanish is in "Al Schneider Magic"

contact me at ken@eversway.com for explanation of this and SwingPass
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
iLeW
View Profile
New user
Italy
19 Posts

Profile of iLeW
Thank you funsway Smile Can't wait to know more from you!
ColtonRaelund
View Profile
Regular user
COLTON ZOROASTER RAELUND
116 Posts

Profile of ColtonRaelund
Stick with one NATURAL LOOKING vanish, and learn it with both hands. I use my own variation of the Garcia master move. Other than the weight problem, the serious flaw with the french drop is the fact that it is an unnatural motion. Here are some key points in a vanish;
1. Make it natural. Pick the sponge up between finger and thumb, place into hand, and WITHDRAW IN THE SAME POSITION.
2. Make it natural, again. Withdraw is a loose term. When the hand with the sponge 'places' it in the other hand, the hand that 'has the sponge' should continue the motion, and the 'empty hand' should stop. Humans have a pretty short attention span, and they will forget about the motionless hand. DO NOT MOVE THE 'EMPTY' HAND UNTIL YOU HAVE RELOCATED THE 'FULL' HAND. DO NOT MOVE BOTH AT ONCE.
3. Make it natural, one last time. When you execute the vanish, think that you are taking the sponge. Once you have 'taken' the sponge, believe the sponge is in that hand, and when you make it vanish, believe you are making it vanish. IF YOU DO NOT BELIEVE IT, NEITHER WILL YOUR AUDIENCE.

I know this does not help with the french drop, but these are good guidelines for selecting a vanish.
krowboom
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago area
233 Posts

Profile of krowboom
There are so many vanishes with sponge balls. If the French drop doesn't work well for you don't do it. Try one of the other dozen vanishes.
iLeW
View Profile
New user
Italy
19 Posts

Profile of iLeW
Thank you ColtonRaelund and krowboom. I know other vanishes and I think I'm good at least at three of them. I would like to also learn the french drop but maybe is better to focus on the ones more suitable for sponge balls. Smile
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I've never had a problem with a french drop with a sponge ball. Make sure the ball is clean and dry. You can do french drops slow, they can be even more convincing that way if you do them correctly. You might need to adjust the angle of the hand holding the ball. Watch in a mirror and try to make the drop as "steep" as possible. Remember, what makes any french drop is the motion, body movement and eye movement with the taking hand.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » French Drop with Sponge Balls problem (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL