The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Advices for young mentalist? (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
pcrpttc
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of pcrpttc
Hi guys! Just want to know if you guys have any suggestion or any advice for young mentalist like me. Do you think that your age and your appearance matter in mentalism? I did the quick search and use the key "young mentalist" but I could not find any advice and suggestion.

Thank you!
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
923 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
Well it depends if by young you mean 18 or 7
Reader discretion is advised.
WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of WDavis
Start here

Know your premise and character
Does it fit you? Intellectually? Morally? Spiritually?

Know your audience
Does your character and premise have a natural opposition or lack of credibility from the audience?

Good luck
pcrpttc
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of pcrpttc
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2016, Michael Zarek wrote:
Well it depends if by young you mean 18 or 7

I am 19 years old Smile
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
923 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
That's not that young, I'm 19 actually Smile

Anyway, I don't really have problems with selling what I do as real, if I was 15 than that would make it harder.
Just believe what you're doing is real and you can present it in any way you want.
If you want to chat more about it than you can pm me.

Btw, didn't Luke Jermay start performing at 16 or something?
Reader discretion is advised.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Not everyone is luke jermay...
I've asked to be banned
nonprofitmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of nonprofitmagic
One piece of advice: if you are serious, sign up for Bob Cassidy's consulting services.

Kevin
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I would say to caregully consider the material you perform, your persona, and your abilities.
Seeing a younger performer do super memory, mind reading, and ESP effects present no issues I can think of, but having a youngster perform a Q&A act may not fly.

Tony
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
My advice for young mentalists would be:

• Find 5 or 6 methods that you find very comfortable, and work with them for a nice long period of time, 3 months, 6 months, a couple of years, whatever...your mileage will vary.

• Devise various premises and work with them during this time. See what attracts you, see what works easiest, see what works best in your audiences' reactions...

Do this and you'll be excellent at each stage of your growth. This is important, because if you're excellent at whatever you are doing. your audience will never know what you DON'T know, they'll never know the limitations of your knowledge, education or experience,,,they'll assume all of you is as good as your best.

•Remember this little saying: "Customers Respond Holistically!" That means they respond as if it's all a Hologram. If you cut a hologram in half, in quarters, in 16ths, each individual part contains the whole picture. Importantly, that works backwards too. If I see your resume with wrinkles and coffee stains all over it, I can expect your life to be in the same shape. That little bit contains the big picture (whether or not it is true, the customer thinks it is so). If the front of a restaurant is dirty, you assume all the rest of the restaurant is just as dirty.

So: Customers respond Holistically. If you are performing and each thing you do is excellent, the customer, the audience will assume everything else you do is equally excellent. They don't think that you only have 8 things in your repetoire, they think you know an infinite number of excellent tests, demos, etc. and your abilities cover a great expanse. Be excellent at each step, each level. Take your time to be so.

• Try a bit of each kind of venue, if you can manage that. Closeup...ambush, coffeeshop, platform, 'parlor' and stage. See which you prefer, which challenges you and which you hate, if any (in my case I've always HATED strolling banquets while people are gumming their greenbeans).

• Don't rush things, don't blow thru a hundred effects trying to find the 'best' ones. What's best for you WILL be different that what's best for others. You'll always be better with effects that use methods you like rather than new popular effects using methods you don't like. Clumsy methods result in mediocrity.
Restrict your purchases of whizbang devices and new tricks. Work with what you're comfortable with until it's all muscle memory and a part of you. Then expand a bit and repeat. Don't be afraid to toss that new thang that just doesn't work as well for you. In the long run, it's more expensive to use it than to toss it. Shelve it, swap it, sell it or junk it. You will waste a lot of money....it's the price of your entry and education. Save the stuff you think you may be able to use years down the road. Toss the rest. If you need it later, you'll be able to re-buy it. Until then, don't perform stuff you don't like just because that effect is popular at the moment...and don't feel guilty about it.

2nd Question: Does age and appearance matter? Age doesn't but appearance does...that doesn't mean you have to don some sort of spooky and mysterious BS like dressing all in black (why choose to be invisible onstage??), it means be clean and neat. The advice usually is to dress at or above your audience's level.

• The age thing is addressed in your Mitox, your overall claims, your groundwork premise. Read MITOX. Easy...but remember you're not the World's Best anything yet...too young. Likewise, no one is going to believe a 22 year old is Swami Hoozit the Yogi Master. Don't worry too much about Persona yet....some people CANNOT perform under their own personality, they need a mask. Others' attempts at 'masks' may be poorly chosen and just ridiculous, they're bettor off with their own personality. If you are young, you probably have some time before needing to address that. Grow into your preferences.

So, to sum up my one piece of advice: Be excellent at each stage of the game. Don't rush. Grow slow and grow strong. You'll know when to expand.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
SamChak
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of SamChak
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2016, pcrpttc wrote:
Do you think that your age and your appearance matter in mentalism?

Look at Colin Mcleod! Smile
pcrpttc
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of pcrpttc
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2016, Tom Jorgenson wrote:

• Find 5 or 6 methods that you find very comfortable, and work with them for a nice long period of time, 3 months, 6 months, a couple of years, whatever...your mileage will vary.

• Devise various premises and work with them during this time. See what attracts you, see what works easiest, see what works best in your audiences' reactions...

Do this and you'll be excellent at each stage of your growth. This is important, because if you're excellent at whatever you are doing. your audience will never know what you DON'T know, they'll never know the limitations of your knowledge, education or experience,,,they'll assume all of you is as good as your best.

•Remember this little saying: "Customers Respond Holistically!" That means they respond as if it's all a Hologram. If you cut a hologram in half, in quarters, in 16ths, each individual part contains the whole picture. Importantly, that works backwards too. If I see your resume with wrinkles and coffee stains all over it, I can expect your life to be in the same shape. That little bit contains the big picture (whether or not it is true, the customer thinks it is so). If the front of a restaurant is dirty, you assume all the rest of the restaurant is just as dirty.

So: Customers respond Holistically. If you are performing and each thing you do is excellent, the customer, the audience will assume everything else you do is equally excellent. They don't think that you only have 8 things in your repetoire, they think you know an infinite number of excellent tests, demos, etc. and your abilities cover a great expanse. Be excellent at each step, each level. Take your time to be so.

• Try a bit of each kind of venue, if you can manage that. Closeup...ambush, coffeeshop, platform, 'parlor' and stage. See which you prefer, which challenges you and which you hate, if any (in my case I've always HATED strolling banquets while people are gumming their greenbeans).

• Don't rush things, don't blow thru a hundred effects trying to find the 'best' ones. What's best for you WILL be different that what's best for others. You'll always be better with effects that use methods you like rather than new popular effects using methods you don't like. Clumsy methods result in mediocrity.
Restrict your purchases of whizbang devices and new tricks. Work with what you're comfortable with until it's all muscle memory and a part of you. Then expand a bit and repeat. Don't be afraid to toss that new thang that just doesn't work as well for you. In the long run, it's more expensive to use it than to toss it. Shelve it, swap it, sell it or junk it. You will waste a lot of money....it's the price of your entry and education. Save the stuff you think you may be able to use years down the road. Toss the rest. If you need it later, you'll be able to re-buy it. Until then, don't perform stuff you don't like just because that effect is popular at the moment...and don't feel guilty about it.

2nd Question: Does age and appearance matter? Age doesn't but appearance does...that doesn't mean you have to don some sort of spooky and mysterious BS like dressing all in black (why choose to be invisible onstage??), it means be clean and neat. The advice usually is to dress at or above your audience's level.

• The age thing is addressed in your Mitox, your overall claims, your groundwork premise. Read MITOX. Easy...but remember you're not the World's Best anything yet...too young. Likewise, no one is going to believe a 22 year old is Swami Hoozit the Yogi Master. Don't worry too much about Persona yet....some people CANNOT perform under their own personality, they need a mask. Others' attempts at 'masks' may be poorly chosen and just ridiculous, they're bettor off with their own personality. If you are young, you probably have some time before needing to address that. Grow into your preferences.

So, to sum up my one piece of advice: Be excellent at each stage of the game. Don't rush. Grow slow and grow strong. You'll know when to expand.

Thank you so much for taking your time and wrote all of this useful information here! This is very helpful to me. Thank you Smile
Mifune
View Profile
Loyal user
Spain
266 Posts

Profile of Mifune
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2016, WDavis wrote:
Start here

Know your premise and character
Does it fit you? Intellectually? Morally? Spiritually?

Know your audience
Does your character and premise have a natural opposition or lack of credibility from the audience?

Good luck

Pay attention also to this post, maybe now you are worried about techniques but you'll be grateful to every second you spend thinking about your anaswers to these questions.
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
Look mom, I have
1534 Posts

Profile of E.E.
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ_XLacO4UI

Banachek was 20 years old or so in this videoclip Smile

Of course, as Iain would say, not everyone is Banachek...

Good luck buddy!
Professional mentalist and digital artist for mystery performers. check out my work at www.facebook.com/EverElizaldeArtStudio
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
That's way cool.

He was using a playing card too! LOL

Thanks for sharing.

Advice would be to read Bob Cassidy's The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy Volume 2 (among other excellent books)
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
952 Posts

Profile of DrRob
Some fantastic advice here!
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
Read the older books, like the stuff from Robert A. Nelson.
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
981 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
It's easy to get hooked on the amazing gizmos that help, however; I would Learn the fundamental of mentalism first. . It's an on going Journey with a ton of education that's always available! If you are Absolutely new to the mentalism world I recommend holding off buying the expensive effects. Buy books and DVD and learn as much as possible. Learn who you are as a Perfomer. What are your "powers" you want to show. Even more important What is your message to the audience? Create a show that's less about you and more about your audience! This is really a craft that running before you can isn't always the best. I've made this mistake in the past. So I stress buy books and DVDs then if it suits you, look into a lot of the great products that are out there. It's really important how you deliver the information, how you get there info really isn't as important, although you'll learn so many ways to get it! Getting to Know the art through 13 steps, Bob Cassidy, Larry Becker, Osterlind and many more.. " The list is huge" Is the first steps. Steven Young is also someone I recommend you look into
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- Anonymous
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
981 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2016, Tom Jorgenson wrote:

Great advice!
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- Anonymous
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1291 Posts

Profile of Robb
Try not to let your mentalism become constrained to the mode of knowing some piece of information you shouldn't know. That is a dead end thematically, but is admittedly the place to begin (unless you feel a particular fondness for psychokinetic effects).

As soon as possible (right now!) start thinking in terms of dramatic arc of your routines. Every good routine needs exposition, building of tension, release of the tension then the final unexpected twist or outcome. In any case, there needs to be meaning and drama, for without those, while a routine might prove somewhat entertaining and puzzling, it will not be moving or truly mystifying. Even for "off the shelf" effects or full routines (they are not always the same thing) you must explicitly understand the dramatic arc.

Realize that you must learn to really "sell" a routine. You must find a way of really getting people to buy into what is happening with an *emotional investment*. In short, they have to care what is happening and going to happen! That requires real acting chops so seek training in acting of some sort. You may be a natural actor and only need a few books to bring out your natural ability or you might want to seek out an acting class or coach.

I personally would not obsess too much with character or persona. For now, just be an exaggerated version of yourself. Eventually you will discover how you wish to be perceived by your audiences and you will naturally develop a richer, more defined character that you see as an almost separate entity from your everyday self. I personally think this is healthy though others find that they are more comfortable "living their character". Whatever works for you but at the start, it can slow you down if you think too much about "who your character is" and that sort of thing.

Avoid any electronic or technological methods until you can perform a half dozen or so perfectly *stunning* routines using "traditional" methods. You will never regret this.

Just my opinions and experiences.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
It may help to watch movies that feature a young teenage psychic character. Audiences are able to accept a young person having powers, if you play it right. Drawing upon these films for inspiration for your particular backstory may help you flesh out your onstage persona. Typically a gift comes with a price, so consider having a specific flaw that compensates for your special ability.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Advices for young mentalist? (12 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL