The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin dropper question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pbg739
View Profile
Veteran user
San Jose, Ca
340 Posts

Profile of pbg739
Hey all,

I was wondering how many coins (quarters preferably)a coin dropper/dumper can hold. please let me know!

Pete
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
If you mean the 1 for coins into glass, I have only ever seen 4 drop into the glass!!!
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
There were a few on the market. Usually designed for half dollars though. I recall one pin-in thing that looked like it could hold about 10 quarters or more. You might find some ideas in the Downs book: Modern Coin Manipulation.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
One idea (marketed for a while) was one of those coin purses with the spring-strips across the opening; you squeeze the ends of the purse to bow out the spring-strips and open the purse.

Pin this upside down under the edge of your coat. Insert coins, but not into the purse, only held between the spring-strips. You can withdraw the coins easily. Come to think of it, quarters might be tricky due to their small size.

Anyway...

Cheers,
Jerry
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
The number varies by manufacturer (6 to 10 half dollars). Jonathan is right, almost all are made for 1/2 dollars, not quarters. I would look into buying the children's effect where a marked coin is vanished and reappears inside a plastic sack, which is inside a matchbox, which in turn is inside a carboard box. The gimmick used in that effect could be easily modified to hold around 6 to 8 quarters, and release them 1 at a time. It is already designed to clip under a jacket, so you're half way there. The cost of the effect is very low, about $10 or so.

My girlfriend's son just bought that particular effect, and I remember thinking about this very subject as I looked at the gimmick.

Good luck.
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Don Wilson
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of Don Wilson
A Kellar coin catcher, or dropper, holds 16 halves- have never seen one for quarters. Tannen catalog shows a five half "dropper" and the 16 coin "catcher"
Don
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
The Kellar catcher as I'm sure you know is not a dropper but a device to produce coins from the hand one at a time. There have been coin droppers called coin slides whcih drop a half dollar size coin one at a time. The problem with that device (Abbott made one) is it is a bit noisy and will hold 5 or six coins. There are coin droppers which will dump a small stack of coins into your hand all at once. Again, noise is a problem with those. I would recommend you avoid such devices. There are better methods of obtaining loads which I cannot go into in this open forum.
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Depends on what you want to do - I have a device called an "Ireland Penny Dropper" that holds, and delivers silently, 45 american pennies! The concept could be easily adapted to fit quarters, or any other coin, and the number could be as large or small as you need. Not hard to make and easy to operate. It hasn't been produced in years, but you can probably find one on the used magic market, and if not, I can describe it for you privately. You can have one made fairly cheaply, I'm sure. If you are handy, you can make one yourself...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin dropper question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL