The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Brief Review: Paul Voodini's Penguin Lecture (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2261 Posts

Profile of dmoses
If you've been curious about Paul Voodini's stuff I can't imagine a more pleasant or cost-effective introduction.

My first encounter with Paul's work was "Reader of Minds" quickly followed by "Pure Q&A" both of which presented a world of mentalism that was thrilling and terrifying, a kind of stand-up mentalism.
And yet, surprisingly practical.

The lecture was a gentle introduction to that world of "doing it for real". Filled with readings and pendulums (pendulae?) and drawing dupes but all with a reassuring and theatrical structure to support the performer and entertain the audience.

Having seen so much of the same kind of mentalism lecture for the past few years (some excellent, some tedious) this was something new and fresh-- somebody more prone to hyperbole might say "revolutionary". If I was to warn people about the material my caution would be: it might be too "audience-centric" for some. We often pay lip=service to audience centred material but it can sometimes literally be "hit or miss". At it's best the performer is a guide for the audience having amazing experiences-- but what it offers can't exceed what the audience brings to it-- meaning if you have a poor/inattentive/skeptical audience you could have a long night ahead of you... but you might be the host of the most memorable night of their lives.

Those of you who have Voodini's work probably won't find anything new, but it was a fascinating study to see how a room with a handful of magicians reacted and imagining what the reaction of a room full of laypeople would respond.

Congratulations Paul.
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
T-shirts for Magicians and Mentalists
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
I am glad that Paul made this lecture. We need more of this approach in terms or realism and exploration in our community.

Thanks for the review Dave!
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
Thanks for the kind words, Dave & Pablo. I appreciate it.

The lecture was a lot of fun to do. Smile
Voodini - cold reading, past life regressions, remote viewing, Q&A, palm reading, bizarre & seance...
www.readerofminds.co.uk
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Special user
In Your Thots
558 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
Hello Paul,

I have never purchased your works so far. But I am trying to pick up some of your material. Kindly advise me. As a first time reader of your works, is it better to buy your Penguin lecture as the first buy or some of your other stuff which I was browsing on Lybrary. Thank you so much in advance.
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I would be interested in Paul describing his own works, approach and material (type and who it's for?)
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
My work is based around cold reading (or perhaps more accurately, simply 'readings') and its application to mentalism and magic.This concept is thoroughly explored in Reader of Minds, Magicians Guide to Palm Reading, and Pure Q&A.

I also perform in a gimmickless sense, that is providing shows that explore the wonder of the mind without out-and-out trickery. I rely more on readings (again), pendulums, past life regressions, and 'genuine' mind reading. There are many books out there in which I explore these concepts, but perhaps Pure Q&A and Midnight Side of the Mind are the two that contain the most potent routines.

For a long time I also presented 'ungimmicked' seances and ghost hunts, and the Paranormal Entertainer would be the first stop with that kind of work.
Voodini - cold reading, past life regressions, remote viewing, Q&A, palm reading, bizarre & seance...
www.readerofminds.co.uk
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Fantastic! Thank you so much. I think that is quite helpful to any and I wish more guys that released material would take the time and make the effort to properly explain themselves, their material and who it is best intended towards.

I've always heard good things abut you and your work, but have also felt it likely wouldn't be for me or my interests and was always afraid to buy anything only to be disappointed, not in you or your material, but as it would pertain to my interests and use. I like the organic sound of your approach. It seem nice as opposed to the common trickery approach of so much mentalism today. Thanks.
Nestor D
View Profile
Special user
France (Paris)
830 Posts

Profile of Nestor D
Clearly one of the fresh voice out there Smile

Plus, I just discovered that you are a very humble performer able to make time fly very quickly during a three hour lecture Smile
Bamboozled
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Bamboozled
Thanks for the review!
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Pauls palm reading routine from the lecture is fantastic and a great introduction to doing readings. I highly recommend this lecture.
Karli
View Profile
New user
Estonia
78 Posts

Profile of Karli
I recommend anyone into mentalism watching this lecture. Palm reading skills and perhaps some pendulum, should be in the arsenal of many mentalists, considering the more and more popular new age area
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Special user
In Your Thots
558 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
This is a very different kind of a lecture. This is not full of the usual 'tricks and methods' but is based on a 'feel and process' approach. Lot of new perspectives, especially for the 'pure' mentalist. Personally, I gained a lot from this. Thanks Paul....and Penguin.
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I'll check it out.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Brief Review: Paul Voodini's Penguin Lecture (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL