The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Preferred resource for gaffed coins? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sailships
View Profile
New user
Louisville, KY
15 Posts

Profile of Sailships
Hello,

I don't post a lot here (but I definitely like to read the threads).

After seeing Eric Jones's your At the Table Live Lecture, I've been inspired to seek out a few coin gaffs.

Primarily, I would like to get a good set of Copper/Silver coins.
In the DVD, he stated that a set might run about $30 dollars.

So my main question is: Where do you prefer to buy gaffed coins?

I've seen people talk about:

- Tango
- Roy Kueppers
- Johnson

And on the higher end:
- Todd Lassen
- Jamie Schoolcraft

I don't perform for a living, so cost is important to me. I'd like to get something "affordable", but of course I want something that has quality too, hence my question for what brand do YOU prefer?

While reading these threads, I've seen several levels of opinion for Tango/Roy Kueppers/Johnson.

Are there any other manufacturers I'm forgetting?

Is there a "pecking order" of quality/cost across those brands?

Eric Jones had also mentioned he uses "specially made" "Tails/Tails" and "Heads/Heads" Copper/Silvers.
Does anyone know if there are any such set available on the public market?

Another effect he did on the At The Table Lecture involved Chinese coins and an expanded shell.

Does anyone have any recommendations of a brand and/or where to buy good, modestly priced Chinese coins and expanded shells?

Many thanks to you all!
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
There's less requirement for precision with C/S gaffs than with shells and flippers so most all manufacturers produce a very workable gaff.
I like Johnson Products for off the shelf gaffs.
Don't know about availability of "heads-heads" C/S gaffs as that isn't usually a factor in most routines.
Read the other thread in this forum regarding Chinese coins.
In fact, probably all of your questions could be answered with a search of the Café.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2016, videoman wrote:
In fact, probably all of your questions could be answered with a search of the Café.

So true - there is a wealth of information already posted here that a simple search will reveal. Much easier to get the info that way because many members will probably not want to repost everything over again.

Jim
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Just gonna throw out that I always go with lassen but it's not cheap and you will have to work to get a hold of him
HarryB
View Profile
Regular user
South Texas
127 Posts

Profile of HarryB
There is a thread on these about 6 or 7 rows down. Not bad for the price considering 1 Johnson Hong Kong coin is $35.00 : luohanqian Chinese coin sets.

One of the biggest decisions that you will have to make is whether you are OK with clad coins or you would prefer to use silver. You can read all about the advantages and disadvantages of each through a search. Once you decide that then it will be easy to search the Café for the info that you need. Also add Joe Mogar and Mark Mason/Bob Swadling to your list. They are also options.
Sailships
View Profile
New user
Louisville, KY
15 Posts

Profile of Sailships
Thank you for the replies!

I did a search, and was picking up pieces of information that I was wondering here and there.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate the input!
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2016, HarryB wrote:
.....One of the biggest decisions that you will have to make is whether you are OK with clad coins or you would prefer to use silver.

I respectifully disagree. In my opinion looking at silver at such an early stage is similar to buying a set of Pings before your first golf lesson! You want to be sure this coin-magic thing is not just a passing fancy, that you will stick to it. This is especially true for those wishing to purchase a complete set from Johnson, Kueppers etc. - I remember my stomach dropping when I first priced a set of silver Morgans + '[' !!! Talk about sticker shock, particularly for beginners/amatuers/hobbiests (sp?)

If you're after value for your money, the best deal out there has to be the Hopping Halves set, and the Copper/Silver half both available from Johnson. While not made of silver, these coins can perform the same moves at a fraction of the cost.

Having said all of this, silver IS the way to go, eventually. Recently bought myself a half dozen Canadian canoe silver dollars and have sent them off to Roy K to have a '[' made and some other work done. Before shipping them to Mr Kueppers I found myself using them pretty much all the time, even in routines where I'd usually use a half. The feel, the look, and especially the sound are all so much better than clad, which brings me to my final point: I have always felt silver coins do more for the performer than the spectators.

... just my two Dollars worth...
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Feb 11, 2016, CarpetShark wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2016, HarryB wrote:
.....One of the biggest decisions that you will have to make is whether you are OK with clad coins or you would prefer to use silver.

I respectifully disagree. In my opinion looking at silver at such an early stage is similar to buying a set of Pings before your first golf lesson! You want to be sure this coin-magic thing is not just a passing fancy, that you will stick to it. This is especially true for those wishing to purchase a complete set from Johnson, Kueppers etc. - I remember my stomach dropping when I first priced a set of silver Morgans + '[' !!! Talk about sticker shock, particularly for beginners/amatuers/hobbiests (sp?)

If you're after value for your money, the best deal out there has to be the Hopping Halves set, and the Copper/Silver half both available from Johnson. While not made of silver, these coins can perform the same moves at a fraction of the cost.

Having said all of this, silver IS the way to go, eventually. Recently bought myself a half dozen Canadian canoe silver dollars and have sent them off to Roy K to have a '[' made and some other work done. Before shipping them to Mr Kueppers I found myself using them pretty much all the time, even in routines where I'd usually use a half. The feel, the look, and especially the sound are all so much better than clad, which brings me to my final point: I have always felt silver coins do more for the performer than the spectators.

... just my two Dollars worth...

That's a good point. Plus, if you do later upgrade to silver you will then have a much less expensive practice set to work on new moves or routines.
And if you decide to have a custom gaff made you will have a better understanding of what qualities, if any, are most important to you.

I hate that sinking feeling you get if you accidently drop an expensive custom gaff on a hard surface, and Murphy's Law of magic will always have it roll to the absolutely most difficult spot to retrieve it from!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Preferred resource for gaffed coins? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL