The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Moniker by Paul Richards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Visited with Paul at this year's Magi-Fest and was thrilled to see that he's released an updated version of Nomenclature, my all time favorite name deck effect. The new version is called Moniker and has several improvements over the older version. Most notably, rather than having to write names on the back of every card yourself, the names have been printed in white ink on the back of the cards by Bicycle. Since the names are professionally printed, you no longer have to worry about the black Sharpie bleeding from one card to the next while they are in the box. Plus, sine the white ink is the same as the white on the back design anyway, you get more freedom when you spread with very little chance of accidentally exposing the names.

Basic effect is that you show the deck fronts and backs. Spectator peeks at a card. You write a prediction saying you will guess the name of the card. You show your prediction and it says, "Eric" for example. Spectator looks confused. You then show the back of the deck and instantly, all the cards now have names written largely on the backs. The card with Eric on the back is their card.

Best points are that unlike other versions, each time you do the trick, the name is different. There is no force. And there really are 52 names in the deck. No name repeats and all the cards can be freely shown. No rough/smooth. No thin cards.

Unfortunately, you can only get it from Paul at a live event, but if you can find him, I highly recommend this one.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
There's a huge difference between 'peeking at a card' and merely 'thinking of one'. I'll stick to the original Phil deck.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2016, pegasus wrote:
There's a huge difference between 'peeking at a card' and merely 'thinking of one'. I'll stick to the original Phil deck.

True, but there seems to be other advantages that could possibly outweigh that, at least Eric seems to think so and I usually tend to agree with his assessments.
So I'm hoping this might actually be an improvement overall.
Just don't know if I'll ever run into Paul Richards.
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
There's a couple of different ways to do this & if you use the peek but do it at the correct time it will fly(it sailed past me when Paul did it on me last year at Blackpool, & I am very seasoned & experienced so a lay person doesn't stand a chance).

I can but don't do the peek.

There's another way that Paul showed me & that's what I use.

This is in effect a colour changing deck without the colour & has an extra kicker that the Phil deck doesn't have.

It's a worker & I regularly incorporate this into my act.

Lay audiences(paying punters ) love it.

Mike Donoghue
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
There's a couple of different ways to do this & if you use the peek but do it at the correct time it will fly(it sailed past me when Paul did it on me last year at Blackpool, & I am very seasoned & experienced so a lay person doesn't stand a chance).

I can but don't do the peek.

There's another way that Paul showed me & that's what I use.

This is in effect a colour changing deck without the colour & has an extra kicker that the Phil deck doesn't have.

It's a worker & I regularly incorporate this into my act.

Lay audiences(paying punters ) love it.

Mike Donoghue
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
If you get the chance to see Paul do this please ask him as it's easy but really good.

You will be converted.

Mike Donoghue
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
It's a totally free choice. Whether they peek or just see one as you spread through, they can change their mind as often as they'd like. So not sure what pegasus' point was. In any event, the key for me is that the name changes every time. So it's perfect for strolling. No real setup and no repeating blocks.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Ok let me explain. If, as you say, there are 52 cards and each card has a different name on the back then you must (have to) know which card they have chosen before you can name it, correct?

With the original Phil Plus I can name their card before I've even removed the cards from the deck, plus there is also a brilliant kicker ending with Phil Plus.

I do not like the thought of pre-printed names either, especially in white. It screams gimmicked deck. I have never had any problem with bleeding cards, so I'm not sure what you are talking about. Perhaps you use the wrong sharpie.

However, I can see the advantage of this deck for strolling purposes.
John McDonald
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester, England, UK
171 Posts

Profile of John McDonald
What's the price? Thanks.
Best wishes John
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
Pegasus has a point & I know exactly what he means & agree with what he says BUT & this is a big but ha- You show a normal deck of cards(no names on at all).

Then with this normal back deck of cards a spectator freely (as you fan them towards them, stops you at any card & they can change their minds at any time. as the backs are towards you you have no idea what it is (makes sense)

They are now thinking of a card & you can write it down on a business card(i don't bother I just tell them the name ie. Fred, Phil or whatever).
You now show it has Phil on it which is a surprise for the audience as the cards were normal a second ago. You then instanly print the rest of the cards with names.

If you saw it done you would get it. Honestly.

Buy the way I still do Phil for a couple of months & then switch to Moniler for a couple of months(don't do both in same set)

Both are great effects but different.
Mike Donoghue
kieronthemighty
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of kieronthemighty
I got this in holland last week. Paul is a realy great performer and very helpful.

Moniker is such a brilliant update on Dave Campbell Fred effect. I have seen so many versions of this plot.

This is the most magical one I have seen the names appearing is a thing of Beauty that no one sees comming.

There are two handling taught both fairly easy. I love the bold method. Most magician will have the genrel skills to perform this.

Highly recommend

Kieron johnson
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2481 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2016, emyers99 wrote:
Visited with Paul at this year's Magi-Fest...
Unfortunately, you can only get it from Paul at a live event, but if you can find him, I highly recommend this one.

Yes, last time I communicated with Paul, sadly, he's only selling new effects at Magi-Fest and such...nowhere else to get them, unless someone is selling one.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Paul's at most of the Penguin live expos isn't he?
At least the expos cover many cities in the US.
In fact, one is coming back to my town later this month so maybe I'll catch him there.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Moniker by Paul Richards (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL