The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Nice little idea.. (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

danielvanm
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
70 Posts

Profile of danielvanm
Hi guys!

I accidentally posted this in the wrong topic.. I hope this topic is the right one! Smile

I came up with a little idea, it's a combination of Pitt Hartling's Finger Flicker (Card Fictions) and Mnemonicosis (Mnemonica) by Juan Tamariz. Let me know what you guys think! Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42M8lfQR63Y
- Daniel

"Astonishment is our natural state of mind"

sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
839 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
Nice. I wouldn't say this is really tied to Mnemonicosis at all, since the card is named before the cards are out of your hands and you do something prior to the reveal. I would say it's more related to the application of the open index principle to Finger Flicker, or similar. I believe Michael Close said in Workers 5 something to the effect that one of the great things about a mem deck is the ability to take a "pick a card" trick and turn it into a "think a card" trick.

I would be especially impressed if you found a way to perform the first couple of phases convincingly without shuffling up the deck. I'm sure it'll take some thought, but it's a nice idea that could use some fleshing out. I've certainly played with the application of the concepts involved myself as well, but haven't really done anything much with it for various reasons.

Also, I have to say thanks for posting this here, as this just sparked a potentially awesome idea for a completely unrelated effect that would really be awesome. I'm going to write it down now before I forget!
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
On Feb 29, 2016, sgtgrey wrote:I would be especially impressed if you found a way to perform the first couple of phases convincingly without shuffling up the deck.

To ALWAYS do it without a cut or a shuffle is not possible. If the named card is in the beginning or near the end of your stack, you always have to give the cards a cut.
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
839 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
Well, straight cuts would be fine, but as you know part of the strength of the original method is that the dirty work is done during a shuffle and before you apparently heard the number. How to recreate that feeling without a real shuffle is the challenge. As it stands, this is a fun way to do only the third phase of the routine.
danielvanm
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
70 Posts

Profile of danielvanm
[quote]On Feb 29, 2016, sgtgrey wrote:
Nice. I wouldn't say this is really tied to Mnemonicosis at all, since the card is named before the cards are out of your hands and you do something prior to the reveal. I would say it's more related to the application of the open index principle to Finger Flicker, or similar.

Thanks for your response! You're absolutely right.
- Daniel

"Astonishment is our natural state of mind"

Ferry Gerats
View Profile
Regular user
the Netherlands
190 Posts

Profile of Ferry Gerats
An idea might be to cull the brthr card to the position above the target card. This leaves some details that may be solved. F.i. cutting the deck can be obfuscated by picking up the required cards from the deck (facilitated by using mrkd cards) by saying “the card could be one of those or one of these, as we simply don’t know its whereabouts” while you cut the deck. Just my 2 cents.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Nice little idea.. (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL