The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Performance Rights? Prove it! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

raidklw
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of raidklw
My son is in Marching Band and the director said he wanted to include "a trick he saw" in next years show. I though he was asking for a Zig-zag, but it turns out the trick he was speaking of was Daniel Summers' "The Cutting Edge". So I had to explain to him that, even though I could build a similar trick, it would cost thousands of dollars to do that trick. Not just for the props, but for the performance rights.

Since he's a band director, he's very familiar with performance rights. In band competitions, they have to provide proof of performance rights for each song they perform.

The problem now is, he now wants to be able to show that we have performance rights to any effect we perform.

It's easy to claim that things like a sub-trunk, thin sawing, or a cabinet are traditional. Most laymen have seen these enough to accept that they are. But how do I prove that they are?

In the end, I need to assure him that, down the road, no one is going to come knocking for a fee because they saw a youtube video of the band doing a trick.

Is there a list of effects that are considered public domain?

Thanks for your thoughts and help!

Kevin

Bostaff illusion
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Find me where it legally states that you must have performance rights to perform a trick you purchased. As soon as you pay for a trick you have legal rights to perform it.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
This is interesting. I would like to know how this all hashes out
raidklw
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of raidklw
I found http://www.illusionrepository.com/ and it has a list of illusions that are in the public domain. If it's not PD, it sometimes tells how rights can be acquired.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
You can buy the plans for most traditional illusions through Paul Osborne.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Ask the guy (Summers)
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Performance Rights? Prove it! (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL