The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Kevin Viner - Russian Roulette with Spike (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
I've seen and studied virtually every version of these routines and there are two issues. #1 Performer safety. #2 The psychology of the routine.

Francesco Tesei is the ONLY one that I feel has created something that is even remotely credible and the psychology of his presentation makes his routine brilliant, devious and unique from any others I've seen. (Also it is very safe with a visual conformation) That being said, I just don't believe most people I see that do any permutation of this effect. It usually comes off as a "trick". That typically comes down to lack of credibility and thought in the routining, and not enough believability or conviction in the performance.

Add that to the inherent risk in many of the methods and it's a no win situation for most people.
Ray Pierce
Sensio
View Profile
Special user
I promise I won't exceed
641 Posts

Profile of Sensio
Why Richard Osterlind is right:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB5TXL_fZj8
magic123
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of magic123
Still think it's a Great effect, if Only one can justify doing it !
Also curious why is Mr. Cassedy no longer on the Café ?

M123
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2016, magic123 wrote:
Still think it's a Great effect, if Only one can justify doing it !
Also curious why is Mr. Cassedy no longer on the Café ?

M123

Why do you think MR Cassidy is no longer on the Café ?
DanielCardini
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of DanielCardini
Quote:
On Jun 1, 2016, Kevin Viner wrote:
To the OP . . . thank you for your comments. I've PMed you some details of the effect (as the forum is publicly searchable). It worked great for me a number of years ago on Masters of Illusion, but I would now agree with the overall thoughts in this thread that it is a routine that doesn't seem to make much sense. There IS inherent danger in this method, and I don't know that it is worth the effect. Also, I feel like it creates one of two situations in the spectators' minds:

1) They believe that you are really at risk.

2) They dismiss it as a trick immediately and disregard it.

Neither outcome seems desirable. I don't want my audiences genuinely concerned for my safety, and I REALLY don't want them disregarding it as a "trick." Truthfully, I don't think that I would present it the same way currently if I decided to ever perform it again. It was a very direct effect with no presentation attached, but it wasn't bad for being 21 years old and my first national television appearance.

Many many thanks for your input and thanks for the pm, great info.

Best Regards
//Daniel
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Kevin Viner - Russian Roulette with Spike (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL