The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » All we are is sponge balls in the wind (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scaress
View Profile
Veteran user
salt lake city
337 Posts

Profile of scaress
I couldn't find this topic with a simple search...

I'm planning on working outside a lot this summer, and I would like some sponge ball alternative that won't roll away or blow away as easily.
Specifically for the Benson bowl.
I've seen people make their own weighted and flat balls, but I hate making things.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Elias
www.eliascaress.com
www.facebook.com/eliasleftycaress
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Maybe pom pom balls. You can make them yourself.
I know we made them in grade school once.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
Stperformer
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of Stperformer
I performed with the Benson Bowl for a while on the street.....and had to weight my balls (lol).

I cut my own sponge balls, rough cut, and inserted a small ball bearing in a slit. This worked okay as long as it wasn't too windy.

I have never seen any weighted sponge balls sold.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Try using sponge CUBES.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of noland
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2016, Stperformer wrote:
I performed with the Benson Bowl for a while on the street.....and had to weight my balls (lol).

I cut my own sponge balls, rough cut, and inserted a small ball bearing in a slit. This worked okay as long as it wasn't too windy.

I have never seen any weighted sponge balls sold.

My solution is somewhat similar. I use regular sponge balls, cut a slit in them, and glue lead fish weights in them. They always withstand the wind. I use these balls in a cup/ball type routine. I also do an in-the-hand sponge ball routine with regular, unprepared balls, but I don't require a table for this routine--it happens in the hands, and the balls, of course, can't be blown around. The addition of the lead weights in the center of the cup/ball set makes these balls a little bit bulky, and I don't think they could be used in and in-the-hands routine where a spectator holds the balls.
MVoss
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
372 Posts

Profile of MVoss
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2016, Dick Oslund wrote:
Try using sponge CUBES.

If the wind wasn't really bad, this would actually work really well. If they made sponge Tetrahedron's, then you'd really be in business.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
If you buy sponge noses (I buy them by the 50 bag for other reasons)
you already have a slit. Not sure that matters but it's an option.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
Getting ready to do my first busking this year and was planning to use sponge balls. My routine does not use a table, so I haven't been worried about wind. I suppose when spec has balls she could let them blow away, but other than that am I missing something?
LoganPorterMagic
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of LoganPorterMagic
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2016, Dick Oslund wrote:
Try using sponge CUBES.

I can't believe how good of an idea that is. That sounds like it would solve the problem, completely from my end. There is lots of wind in the city.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » All we are is sponge balls in the wind (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL