The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » I am allergic to dust mites so can't use cotton hankies or the like what are my alternatives? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicstudent8416
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of magicstudent8416
I was really getting enthused to try some handkerchief tricks but they are not going to be doable unless I can find some alternative that won't trigger my allergy.

I am not going to use silk for humane reasons I think it is cruel to have silk worms die just for someone's amusement; besides it might also trigger my allergy.

I can't use cotton type products as I have a terrible dust mite alergy and they live in anything like cotton and ruffling a hanky under my nose for hours a day whenever practicing would be out of the question. This sucks because there is a lot of cool tricks I would like to try with the hanky so wondering if there is some way around this; some alternative I could use.

I looked online and there are faux leather pocket squares though I'm not sure how well they work for tricks. I guess the more rigid material would limit a lot of the tricks that rely on tight concealment of the hanky but maybe would work fine for ones where I would just be placing it over a coin for instance.

I am only able to wear /use synthetic material like shell sports material or leather imitation type stuff which mites cannot burrow into.

I could use a plastic shopping bag but that is not very alluring Smile
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Polyester "silks" and scarves are in all the Dollar Shops, as long as you aren't against murdering polyesters.
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
# paper towels
# paper tissues
# facial tissues
# paper napkins in many colors
Many lady scarves are made from synthetic fabrics (look at the label in the shop)
magicstudent8416
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of magicstudent8416
Ah thanks for the ideas.

Ye papaer napkins can be pretty durable and I doubt ppl will notice the difference in a dark club environment where I practice. can also get lots of different design.

polyester silk looks promising also Smile
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I don't think silkworms die from producing silk, unless I misunderstood your comment. This reminds me of the young girl who was protesting over killing cows for their milk.

Jim
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
--or bees for their honey....
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
If I understand the silk harvesting process it requires heating, steaming or boiling the cocoon and larve.
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
The caterpillars die in the process.

If they emerged it would destroy the thread.

-Mary
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » I am allergic to dust mites so can't use cotton hankies or the like what are my alternatives? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL