The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Cobra remote and timer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
Well I finally got the remote and programmable timer module for the Cobra. Expensive certainly, but they're the best thing about the reel especially when combined with the pressure switch to activate the remote. The remote is nice and small with an extendable antenna which I'm not sure why it's even needed because I was able to activate the reel from the other side of my apartment with the doors closed. The receiver seems a little bulky in comparison but is still small. It has a couple modes, depending on how you push the button. You have the basic reel control, then you can press it for a few seconds and it turns the reel into ITR mode. It would have been nice for them to have a way of deactivating the ITR mode from the remote but they didn't add that functionality. It also has a time delayed mode where you hold down the button and there's a three second delay and the reel pulls in a short amount of thread useful for knocking things down, or quick small motions. There's a port in the side of the remote that allows you to plug in different switches like the pressure switch or tilt switch which make the activation of this extremely deceptive.

The timer module is about twice the size of the reel and it's very flexible in how you can program it. You can program on the fly because it's a push button kind of thing with an LCD display. There's a slight learning curve to remember the abbreviations for the different modes but it's not too hard to remember once you've played around with it. There's an option for a audio cue for when it's about to activate which is three short beeps. I think it would have been better to have a vibrate option as well but hopefully they'll put that in version 2.0 or something. The timer can be programmed for a simple delay up to 99 hours long if you have one of those twice a week shows Smile You can program how long a delay for activation, how many seconds you want the reel to activate for and even put the timer on a cycle so it will activate periodically throughout your show. It also has a port so you can plug in the receiver for the remote and activate it remotely. The device plugs directly into the reel so together they start to get a little bulky and with the receiver it's slightly more so. But still at this point you're not going to be hiding this in a card box. In the instructional video he shows how to hide the whole setup in a hollowed out book which borders on genius. Then with adding the pressure or tilt switch to the remote activation you can activate this thing way ahead of time absolutely undetectably.

This set up has made a few ideas of mine take off, but at the same time this functionality is so new to me that I'm finding myself only using a small portion of it's potential.

I don't know that all this is going to be worth shelling over two hundred dollars for you, I already had a use in mind so I was willing to take the dive. But this is a basic overview of the devices. They're both well made and battery life should be long considering the batteries used and the small amount of power the devices use.

Well, that's my two cents after playing around with the devices for a few weeks. If you have any more specific questions let me know and I'll see if I can answer them. If not you can actually ask the www.emagicsupply.com website, they have a help chat that was very useful in me deciding to make the purchase. I told them what I had in mind and they told me the exact setup I would need to make it happen. They were very helpful.
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Cobra remote and timer (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL