The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Now Available - Out of Sight by Joshua Jay (70 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16
rbromley
View Profile
Regular user
USA
175 Posts

Profile of rbromley
I have enjoyed Joshua Jay's work for years and finally picked this up a couple weeks ago. I was lucky to find out that my deck could easily be tossed on the table when done and even hand parts to be inspected by the audience. I think this was made very well and am 100% happy with the purchase. His video tutorial, as always, is very informative and made well.

I have a question for those that own this and have performed it:

Is there a better blindfold that you recommend for use with this. The one supplied is a bit small and I would like to find one similar to what Joshua uses. Any tips would be appreciated.
Dutchie
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Dutchie
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2021, rbromley wrote:
Is there a better blindfold that you recommend for use with this. The one supplied is a bit small and I would like to find one similar to what Joshua uses. Any tips would be appreciated.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=blindfold&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
RSD
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
534 Posts

Profile of RSD
To owners of this trick: I got it and been playing with it for a few days. What happens if the spectator choses 10D? Does that mean they will handle a gimmicked card?
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
At the end of the trick on "Penn and Teller: Fool Us", you only see him giving some cards to the spec, not the whole deck. The way it is edited and shot, I believed, too, after the first viewing, that he gave the whole deck away. But he did not -- at least not what is shown on camera. They never show on camera what happened to the rest of the deck. There is no way you can give the whole deck to the spec, unless you do a deck switch at the end. He said he didn't do a deck switch, and it would be pretty impossible to do one at that point, anyway -- meaning after you gave him some of the cards to hold, unless you said, "look over there, everyone!".

The entire deck cannot be examined. Period.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Excellent point! P&T's show has staged and stooged moments. Some refuse to believe it.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1120 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Can the deck be examined? Nope.

Can you give the deck to the spectator? Of course you can.

Mike
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
I'm not sure why people in this thread have said the deck can be handed out, since it is clearly gaffed -- it is being sold as a gaffed deck. You cannot hand out a gaffed deck -- unless you don't care if someone discovers the gaff. Smile

People also said that it was "extra specially made" for the show, but I'm sorry, a gaffed deck is still a gaffed deck. Also, saying it is "specially printed" is misleading, since nothing special is "printed." Also, from what I gather you can put together the gaff yourself by buying some other decks that are already manufactured.

I think the only reason P&T were fooled is that they didn't observe that the whole deck was handed out. The whole time I was thinking that it was similar to an ID or a Br***w***e. Then I was thrown when I even thought he gave the whole deck to the spec. I thought "impossible". He said, "Here is a gift for you" which was classic psychological misdirection for us viewers, but I'm sure not the spec. I wouldn't be surprised if maybe Jay did give the whole deck to the spec and whispered, "Don't show it to anyone til you leave the studio."

After seeing this clip for the first time last night, it took me about 10 minutes of googling to find the method exposed. Smile

I've only watched clips of this show on youtube -- I don't think I've ever watched it on TV. I've seen the debates on the rules and Penn arguing with contestants that they tried to make things look like a deck switch, but it wasn't to throw P&T off. That confuses me. The game is to fool P&T. If you make it look like a switch but it isn't, that's called "misdirection." Outside of the show, if you fool, you fool. Didn't Houdini have confederates pass him the key to handcuffs and jail cells?

I'm also not sure how close they have to get to the actual method. Do they have to completely backtrack a trick and say when every move happened, to the point that P&T could immediately do the trick? Or just name the moves. If the latter, I can say I'm never fooled my a card trick. "You did a DL, a palm, a glide, a pass, and a one-handed whazoo.Smile

I'm with Anneman -- as long as you fool the audience, method be da***d.

I know Jay's trick is based on a Bob Hummer and/or Harry Lorayne trick. I know how to do it with a b***ke *a**e* deck, but of course you can't show the card at the end -- you can only name it. Not sure if that's the Lorayne or Hummer version.

Ant btw, that whole blind-fold thing that Jay does is pure misdirection. Plus it doesn't make sense. And why can't the spec just write the name of the card on a piece of paper and hold it up for all to see? That's a rhetorical question, lol. Right, you can't see anything with a blindfold on!
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2023, tenchu wrote:

Mike

That's sematics. You "can" but you "may not", unless you don't care if the spec realizes it's gaffed.

I wonder what would have happened if Jay chose Donny Osmond to do the trick with! lol
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1120 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2023, WalterPlinge wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2023, tenchu wrote:

Mike

That's sematics. You "can" but you "may not", unless you don't care if the spec realizes it's gaffed.

I wonder what would have happened if Jay chose Donny Osmond to do the trick with! lol

Well, it's about fooling Penn & Teller, right? Not some random audience member.

Mike
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1120 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Quote:
Right, you can't see anything with a blindfold on!

Yes, and magic isn't real. Sorry.

Mike
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
Ha ha ha...

Have you seen the Daortiz clip from P&T? Donny checks the whole deck before the trick. That would have been disaster for Jay!
lol
rbromley
View Profile
Regular user
USA
175 Posts

Profile of rbromley
Quote:
I'm not sure why people in this thread have said the deck can be handed out, since it is clearly gaffed -- it is being sold as a gaffed deck. You cannot hand out a gaffed deck -- unless you don't care if someone discovers the gaff. Smile

People also said that it was "extra specially made" for the show, but I'm sorry, a gaffed deck is still a gaffed deck. Also, saying it is "specially printed" is misleading, since nothing special is "printed." Also, from what I gather you can put together the gaff yourself by buying some other decks that are already manufactured.

I think the only reason P&T were fooled is that they didn't observe that the whole deck was handed out. The whole time I was thinking that it was similar to an ID or a Br***w***e. Then I was thrown when I even thought he gave the whole deck to the spec. I thought "impossible". He said, "Here is a gift for you" which was classic psychological misdirection for us viewers, but I'm sure not the spec. I wouldn't be surprised if maybe Jay did give the whole deck to the spec and whispered, "Don't show it to anyone til you leave the studio."

After seeing this clip for the first time last night, it took me about 10 minutes of googling to find the method exposed. Smile

I've only watched clips of this show on youtube -- I don't think I've ever watched it on TV. I've seen the debates on the rules and Penn arguing with contestants that they tried to make things look like a deck switch, but it wasn't to throw P&T off. That confuses me. The game is to fool P&T. If you make it look like a switch but it isn't, that's called "misdirection." Outside of the show, if you fool, you fool. Didn't Houdini have confederates pass him the key to handcuffs and jail cells?

I'm also not sure how close they have to get to the actual method. Do they have to completely backtrack a trick and say when every move happened, to the point that P&T could immediately do the trick? Or just name the moves. If the latter, I can say I'm never fooled my a card trick. "You did a DL, a palm, a glide, a pass, and a one-handed whazoo.Smile

I'm with Anneman -- as long as you fool the audience, method be da***d.

I know Jay's trick is based on a Bob Hummer and/or Harry Lorayne trick. I know how to do it with a b***ke *a**e* deck, but of course you can't show the card at the end -- you can only name it. Not sure if that's the Lorayne or Hummer version.

Ant btw, that whole blind-fold thing that Jay does is pure misdirection. Plus it doesn't make sense. And why can't the spec just write the name of the card on a piece of paper and hold it up for all to see? That's a rhetorical question, lol. Right, you can't see anything with a blindfold on!

The deck IS specially printed. I take you don't actually own the effect? Just curious, based on the statements you made in this write-up,
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
There is nothing special to "print". It may be specially "manufactured."
You don't need to "print" a b***k-*ac*e. The other cards have normal faces. Nothing special to "print" them. But the "card" is specially manufactured, though you can already get those cards that are "manufactured" that way. It is semantics.

Like an ID deck, "printing" has nothing to do with it. R&s does. You don't "print" r&s.

I don't "own" it, but I've "seen" it. Google is your friend and mine.
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
Surely, marked blank facers are specially printed?
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
Don't call me Shirley.
:)

Well, that's not what J.J. himself explains. He "shaves" something away. That's the mark.

Unfortunately, some googling revealed a video (not youtube) where J.J. explains it all himself. J.J. says it himself, that everything you need to make ur own is in magic shops.

You can buy your own Phoenix Decks -- some of the "special" ones, if you get my drift. (J.J. isn't that specific.) These, however, weren't specialy made for J.J. You would also need some r&s and glue.

The only reason why P&T were fooled is because they didn't pay attention at the end and see that J.J. did NOT give away the ENTIRE deck. Shame on them.
I assume the "deck switch" they thought happened was at the very end when he showed that the deck was blank.

I think this was a setup since J.J. was already a professional. No way P&T were fooled. I'm not sure why they allow professional-already-famous magicians on the show anyway.

Also, my comments were regarding the deck he used on the show, not the one you can buy.
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2016, emyers99 wrote:
Not self working but no real sleight of hand required. Josh really did give the full deck away but as he explained at MagiFest, he had Christian gimmick his deck extra well so that it could be given away.

Impossible, unless r&s magically turned to glue at the end of the show right before he "gave it away", which on the show is never shown, just implied by the language J.J. uses.

Too many clues were given away way back in 2016 in this very thread:

Quote:
It is explained on his Unreal 4 set dvds. Pick those up and learn some other great material from Josh as well aslearning the method for this to determine if it is something you want to purchase. U will still need to purchase the deck regardless of knowing the method.

Quote:
I think it's only on Phoenix cards.

Quote:
Every single deck is hand made, we are using our reliable Science Friction for roughing and I hope we can keep up with the many orders. The number of orders surprised Vanishing as well as my team, I am very thankful.

Over the last 12 months we did so many different tests and even planned a launch for Christmas, but we all at Vanishing and Card-Shark were not happy with the quality and I had to discard thousands of decks before we decided to go for the best possible, most reliable and longest lasting preparation: our Science Friction Spray.

This deck will only be released under the most popular brand of playing cards for magicians: Phoenix Deck. Smile
Smile

I would not be surprised if nobody would recognize in case you are pulling out the deck from a Bicycle card case. Have fun with it!

I'm not sure where I read it was "specially printed". I might have been mistaken on that. But they are clearly "hand-made".
rbromley
View Profile
Regular user
USA
175 Posts

Profile of rbromley
This is hilarious
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
You got that right!
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Re: handing out the gaffed deck: I casually looked through the deck prior to watching the tutorial or knowing any detail about the method and I didn't find anything. It just looked like a blank deck. It has to be handled in a VERY SPECIFIC way to reveal anything. Of course there is still a possibility that a spectator might inadvertently expose the gaff, so it would be best to use the audience management tactics Josh recommends in the tutorial... but its definitely not the end of the world or an automatic reveal if they get their hands on it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Now Available - Out of Sight by Joshua Jay (70 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL