The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Does anyone use a dancing cane in there show ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
774 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
I was thinking about using one just wondering if anyone here does? And if they can offer any tips. (Lighting issues, DVDs , what canes are good and which are just plain bad etc)

God Bless
J Rodriguez
J Rodriguez
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Before you decide to invest a lot of time and money in the Dancing Cane, see what has become of it in the world of dancing "muggles" by doing a search for "levitation flow wands".
close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
774 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
Thanks for the link ...I think I may pick one up as a quick "stunt/trick ". The flow wands look great but leaning towards a regular looking cane.

God Bless
J Rodriguez
J Rodriguez
krowboom
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago area
233 Posts

Profile of krowboom
Problem with all these effects is if you don't have the right lighting you give away the method
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I agree with Krowboom. I've always avoided doing a Dancing Cane routine because my performance venues are mostly school assemblies and daycare classrooms, where the lighting is bright and the gimmick would be too visible. Someone I know did his dancing cane at a library show and bombed terribly. All the kids yelled out that they could see the "wire". Needless to say, he never did it again. (And incidentally, this performer was never hired by that librarian again).
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
There are some alternatives to the dancing cane that might be appropriate for venues where the lighting or the background are too bright.

One of my favorite effects is "The Floating Cane" from Ottokar Fischer's _Illustrated Magic_ as shown here:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=......&theater

Another option that would fit for many venues is the "Rising Wand in Bottle" as shown in this scan from a program for Silvan's magic show:
https://www.facebook.com/338764602812514......&theater
(I know the Rising Wand is explained in many children's books and other books for the public, but so are a lot of other tricks/routines that are featured by well-known magicians--like the Sponge Balls and the Linking Rings.)

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
ProfessorMagicJMG
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of ProfessorMagicJMG
I have avoided the Dancing cane because I do mostly birthday and school shows and would be hard to hide the gimmick.
I do the appearing cane with a red silk handkerchief and a red appearing cane, and it always gets a gasp when I do it for kids; you just have to practice to make sure you catch it regularly. That's an amazingly visual and startling trick that's a great opener effect, or closer, or goes great with the Bigger Wands routine as the trick you're trying to get to work.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Clarke's 3rd Law

"Any sufficiently primitive technology can mystify a postmodern audience." - JMG's Corollary to Clarke's 3rd Law
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Does anyone use a dancing cane in there show ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL