The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Hotel Key by Mikame (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

academy
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of academy
I was wondering if anyone have tried this. In effect you show a key on a stand and a spectator tells a number. The number happens to be the same printed on the key. It looks better than "room service"...

http://siam-magic.com/product_detail.php......6f9e027c

Thanks
Academy
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I have seen different names for this effect:
Mikame Craft Prediction Board or Mental Key Illusion

Everything is of high quality from Mikame but I havent seen this effect yet...
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Yes, it does look better than Room Service, but you are limited to 99 numbers. Room Service is unlimited.

Also, if you do it the way David Copperfield does it, the numbers are actually ENGRAVED on the key tag.

I still prefer Jack Dean's engraved medallion.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Is this an actual metal key? I spend much of my time in hotels, and the hotel keys are always plastic credit card type "keys". How would one explain a normal key for a hotel? (I guess you could say it was from a cheap motel you stayed at.) hmmmm.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Even Motel 6 uses magnetic key cards now. The whole room key thing is pretty much invalid unless you are staying in hotels in Europe. You can adjust your presentation to fit this, though.

When I got Room Service, I worked out a whole presentation based on room keys that I had collected over several years of traveling.

Although the number is really nice--printed very large on the key tag--there are many much better number prediction effects and devices out there.

My feeling about the whole Mikame line is that it is more suited to collecting than performing.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
388 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Quote:
On 2004-03-14 16:58, Ibd1Mon99 wrote:
Is this an actual metal key? I spend much of my time in hotels, and the hotel keys are always plastic credit card type "keys". How would one explain a normal key for a hotel? (I guess you could say it was from a cheap motel you stayed at.) hmmmm.

I was just reading this item's description on Hank Lee's website and came here to do a search on it. In response to your question, one could state that the key on the stand is for an aparmtnent's front door in an apartment building. Or the key could be for a particular locker in a gym locker room. How about it being a key for a locker down at the local bus station? Don't be limited by the "hotel" idea!

Just some ideas.... I may get this effect! Sounds like a good one!
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Or say the key is one of your prized souvenirs -- it's from the hotel room at the Sheraton in L.A. where the Beatles stayed in 1966, blah blah, you got it from your friend who was a bellboy, whatever, etc.

A standard patter line has to do with the uncanny way that fans find out which room their favorite stars are staying in. Your spectators then generate a room number, and that's the one on the room key.

In any case, from what I know of the Mikame prop you need to have an attache case to do the effect. With Room Service and other versions, you don't.

Cheers,
Jerry
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
I have used this effect many times and it went over very well, do not let the old fashioned 'key' look turn you off, it is a very good effect!
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1050 Posts

Profile of tdowell
I had this and didn't think much of it as far as the impact. Nicely made, but in my opinion not much of an effect, and, as I recall it was kind of "quirky" in the actual performance. I agree with Bill that this is more of a collector's piece.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
So this may not actually be for everyone from what I'm reading. Too bad it looked like it may be good in a bizaar act. I do like most of the items I got from Mikame.

Good magic to all,

Eric
ponchito
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of ponchito
Here you can see a not-very-clean version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SLkQw0PpsU

Ponch
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
The Youtube clip is not actually the Mikame version, which has a much larger number and (as Bill mentioned years ago on this thread), offers numbers between 1 - 99.
It also comes with a stand for the key (which certainly plays a part in the presentation).

If you can 'spin' a good story, as Jerry suggests, the key can still work as a relevant and credible presentation.

BTW, I have a brand new set of the "Mikame Mental Prediction Act" For sale, if anyone is interested.
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1271 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
Mikame version presentend here by Lu Chen: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjYxODc2NTI=.html

Cheers
Stellan
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
580 Posts

Profile of Stellan
Since this thread started there has, not surprisngly, evolved a couple of routines using a plastic card.
"There is no reality, only perception."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Hotel Key by Mikame (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL