The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Unfolding Drama In the UK Over Alledged Plagarism » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tally_NSA
View Profile
Loyal user
Essex, UK
222 Posts

Profile of Tally_NSA
The Widow of the late (and great!) Paul Daniels, Debbie McGee has alleged that a contestant on Saturday's "Britain's Got Talent" (BGT) - Richard Jones - had plagiarised two of her husband's effects. This story was run in one of the UKs tabloid papers The Sun (owned by Rupert Murdoch). You can read it here:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sho......els.html

The two tricks were Orange Juice into Tea, and SvenPads.

The Producers of BGT have hit back at the accusations by pointing out that the silhouette cutting ending to SvenPads (the newspapers don't know the name of this commercial item) dates back to the 1930s and Theo Annemann. This story is carried by another UK Tabloid The Daily Mirror.

I've no idea about the Orange Juice to Tea effect, but I've got a couple of comments I'd like to make about this issue over SvenPads:

1. I don't like the fact that the Mirror is printing the secret of the silhouette cutting ending to SvenPads. They could quite easily have carried the story sans any mention of the actual working.

2. Doesn't buying a commercial item like SvenPad automatically give you the right to the secrets enclosed within the effect? If so, I would say that Debbie's issue would be with the creators of SvenPad, and not Mr Jones himself. She should really have held fire and sought out where Richard Jones got the effect he was using from. And then taken up the issue with the creators.

All-in-all, this type of thing is actually good for young Mr Jones. It will lead people to Youtube to witness his performance, as it did me. I do not watch TV magic any longer. I find it too fake. Far too many people doing camera tricks. So, I did not watch BGT. However, having read this story in the papers, I did go and watch Richard and was happy to see someone do SvenPads, as it is such a strong effect. I wish him all the very best.

As for Debbie, I love her to bits, but she should have researched it more before she offered an opinion to the tabloids. This is going to backfire on her now, and I think that is a shame, given that Paul's passing must still be raw with her. But my best thoughts and well-wishes go out to her anyway.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Unfolding Drama In the UK Over Alledged Plagarism » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL