The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Glued cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicarnival
View Profile
New user
Georgetown, Texas
16 Posts

Profile of magicarnival
When I was a kid I made up a deck with Long and short cards glued together on one short end for riffling. I found the trick in an old magic book for kids. I forget what it was for now, but my cousin had to have it so I sold it to him.
Well now I'm a grown up kid and want to make up a deck Andy Nyman has made famous. TOD. My question is what kind of glue should I use. I don't want to screw up the deck and want it to last. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Tom McDonagh
magicarnival
View Profile
New user
Georgetown, Texas
16 Posts

Profile of magicarnival
So, It's Luke Jermay, TOD, not Andy Nyman. CRS.
magicarnival
View Profile
New user
Georgetown, Texas
16 Posts

Profile of magicarnival
Never mind.
Tally_NSA
View Profile
Loyal user
Essex, UK
222 Posts

Profile of Tally_NSA
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2016, magicarnival wrote:
When I was a kid I made up a deck with Long and short cards glued together on one short end for riffling. I found the trick in an old magic book for kids. I forget what it was for now, but my cousin had to have it so I sold it to him.
Well now I'm a grown up kid and want to make up a deck Andy Nyman has made famous. TOD. My question is what kind of glue should I use. I don't want to screw up the deck and want it to last. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Tom McDonagh

Always use rubber contact adhesive on cards. The dried glue will have a certain amount of flexibility to it, whereas other non-latex glues will not. They become hard after time, and tend to crack; whereas latex glues will not.

The type of glue I am talking about requires you to coat bother surfaces to be adhered, left to dry for a minute or so, and then both surfaces pressed together to form the bond. Here in the UK, the leading brand of contact adhesive is Evo-Stick. I have no idea what the equivalent is in the States.
magicarnival
View Profile
New user
Georgetown, Texas
16 Posts

Profile of magicarnival
Thank you for your reply. I have some special cards I don't want to ruin. I'll use the rubber cement along with some others to test the glue on some extra cards I have.
Thanks again.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2016, magicarnival wrote:
Thank you for your reply. I have some special cards I don't want to ruin. I'll use the rubber cement along with some others to test the glue on some extra cards I have.
Thanks again.

Rubber cement is a good option. If you're experimenting on extra cards you don't care about, I'd take a look at Zig two-way glue as well (and use the "permanent" method).

You might also want to reach out to Christian Schenk (Card-Shark here on the Café), the driving force behind the Phoenix decks, as he's done some work in this specific area.
magicarnival
View Profile
New user
Georgetown, Texas
16 Posts

Profile of magicarnival
I bought to DVD set " Jermay's Mind". He said to use super glue. I bought some last night at Staples.
Thanks for the help.
Tom
Tally_NSA
View Profile
Loyal user
Essex, UK
222 Posts

Profile of Tally_NSA
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2016, magicarnival wrote:
I bought to DVD set " Jermay's Mind". He said to use super glue. I bought some last night at Staples.
Thanks for the help.
Tom

Super gluing cards will result in the glue being too brittle. It will eventually snap. Super glue has a lot of tensile strength, but absolutely terrible shearing strength. So, I would say Mr Jermay's advice is not very good. And I don't care who he is!
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1271 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
@magicarnaval Which glue you used for Jermay TOD * card shark super thin cards?

@Tally_NSA - Jermay TOD deck uses plastic cards... not paper.
NotThatLarson
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of NotThatLarson
Quote:

Always use rubber contact adhesive on cards. The dried glue will have a certain amount of flexibility to it, whereas other non-latex glues will not. They become hard after time, and tend to crack; whereas latex glues will not.

The type of glue I am talking about requires you to coat bother surfaces to be adhered, left to dry for a minute or so, and then both surfaces pressed together to form the bond. Here in the UK, the leading brand of contact adhesive is Evo-Stick. I have no idea what the equivalent is in the States.

Also, get a small paintbrush. The larger brushes that come with most rubber cements are too large and cause you to put too thick of a layer on the cards.
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
One reason Jermay (and lots of others) suggest Super Glue is because, unlike rubber cement, when you glue up more than a few cards you don't build up extra thickness from the glue.

Rubber cement builds up to about 2 cards extra thickness in a full deck if gluing up a full deck of normal cards .... Super Glue doesn't build up at all if judiciously applied.
Tally_NSA
View Profile
Loyal user
Essex, UK
222 Posts

Profile of Tally_NSA
Quote:
On May 15, 2016, NotThatLarson wrote:
Quote:

Also, get a small paintbrush. The larger brushes that come with most rubber cements are too large and cause you to put too thick of a layer on the cards.

Don't use brushes. Use the aerosol spray adhesive. A thin coat on both surfaces is all that is needed.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Glued cards (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL