The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » What about non magician lectures at conventions (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RedHatMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
239 Posts

Profile of RedHatMagic
What do people think of lectures by Mimes, Theatre Directors, Script Writers, Sound and Light guys, Marketing as well as magicians
Let the Entertainment Commence!
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I've never been to a convention in the UK but here in the states, these types of lectures are included quite often. Specifically I've seen lectures by a lighting and sound professional, several marketing majors and a theater director. They are always well received and I think provide a nice break to the norm of the convention. I think it's a good idea to include such lectures.
Where the magic begins
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea I saw A good Lecture Of costuming and how to dress. that was very good. a few years ago!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I think I have been seeing strong interest in lectures on the business side of being an entertainer. I started getting inquiries a couple of years ago about lecturing on my area of specialty of entertainment business operations. Many are under the misperception that all one needs to do is get a good show together and then market it. This is the common mistake many performers make. There are many missing pieces to operating a performing business between the show and the marketing. Many performers are void of this knowledge and information.

Last summer I released the first book in my Entertainer's Success Series - Press & Media For Entertainers, showing performers how to get featured in newspapers and magazines and on radio and television, generating thousands of dollars in free promotional marking for your performing and entertainment business. The response was overwhelming.

I've always been a proponent that success and profit in our business comes from the business side of the equation. There are many great performers with great shows that simply aren't making money or working as much as they like. It is because they do not have the business elements in place to utilize their show to create the success they desire on whatever level they're seeking, part-time or full-time.

Then in the fall when I release the second release in the series The Talent & Entertainer's Business Organization & Tax Preparation System, I started getting more requests.

Well then last month I released my best-selling release to date, The Entertainer's Business Toolkit. This is without a doubt the most all-around, universal release yet of the Entertainer's Success Series, that is for literally every and all levels of entertainers from someone preparing to do their very first paid gig, to long-time working professionals.

This release includes over 50 of the most important and useful tools that every entertainer or entertainment business should have in their toolbox of business resources regardless of whether you are only an occasional performer doing only a few shows per year or a touring professional, these resources are sure to be a welcome addition to any entertainment operation.

These include the most needed and used business forms, planners, goal sheets, cover letters, e-mails, contracts, riders, invoicing, marketing materials, promotional materials and sample/demo video storyboard templates, phone scripts, multi-part e-mail sequence campaigns, credit card authorizations, receipts, post-event surveys, payment due/collection notices, testimonial generators, BOR/Merchandise forms, inventory sheet, mileage log, releases, bid submissions, proposal outlines and so much more!

These are the actual professional tools and resources that can make a huge difference in your business operations. If you book yourself, if you want to work with agents, these are the toolkit resources to protect yourself, your customers, and your business.

Since then requests for lectures are at am all time high. I believe I will lecture later this year and in the Spring of next year as well due to the interest. This has been quite interesting. I'm hearing from even hobbyists that want to learn how to take their hobby and passion and turn it into a part-time profitable business. This has all been so well-received and interesting that I think the time is right for lectures on more than just performing, tricks and the latest releases of performance materials.

I just started accepting these requests in order to try to route a lecture tour so we'll see, but so far it has been quite encouraging.

Yes, I do think magic clubs, performers and conventions are wanting to seek additional and more related topics and content than just the standard fare. I am also an agency owner, producer, promoter, tour producer/manager, entertainment broker and I think many of these areas are also of great interest to performers. Great topic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » What about non magician lectures at conventions (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL