The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Anyone use tear apart vanish box for a dove? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

skillstothrill
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of skillstothrill
Does anyone use the tear apart vanish box as a way to vanish their dove?
If so how does it play for you?

Is the dove comfortable?

Thanks!
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Skills, I haven't used this vanish in a long time but when I did, it was a very effective vanish. I covered mine in white or black tissue paper rather than newspaper. I could never figure out a way to make a newspaper box make sense. As in all dove props, the size of your dove determines how comfortable the bird will be however, the load chamber in this prop is one of the largest I've seen and most doves are fine in it.
Where the magic begins
skillstothrill
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of skillstothrill
Quote:
On May 3, 2016, Dave Scribner wrote:
Skills, I haven't used this vanish in a long time but when I did, it was a very effective vanish. I covered mine in white or black tissue paper rather than newspaper. I could never figure out a way to make a newspaper box make sense. As in all dove props, the size of your dove determines how comfortable the bird will be however, the load chamber in this prop is one of the largest I've seen and most doves are fine in it.

Thanks David! Really appreciate the response. I have been looking for a way to make my dove vanish. Think this is a great way to do so , good perk is that it packs flat as well lol
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
It is also one of the easier boxes to make yourself from hardboard, foamboard, or even cardboard. Directions are in my Hardboard and Duct Tape Book 2.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Same as Dave! I haven't used the Abbott Tear Apart Vanish since the early '60s. It was, except for the "job" of replacing the paper sides, a very fine prop.

I used two doves, and placed them each facing in opposite direction in the gaff. They were quite comfortable.

IMPORTANT POINT: VANISHES GENERALLY DO NOT GET BIG APPLAUSE.

THURSTON HAD THIS PROBLEM WHEN HE USED "IASIA" TO CLOSE THE SHOW. They solved the problem with a line! Thurston would say 'Iasia is GONE! ...i DON'T KNOW WHERE SHE GOES...BUT, SHE ALWAYS COMES BACK ON PAYDAY!" (big laugh...and APPLAUSE!)

I would say, "Punch and Judy are gone! ...I don't know where they go!...But, they always come back at supper time!" (laugh and applause)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
"Flight of the Phoenix" from The Wizards' Journal #3 is a variation on the "Tear Apart" theme with the box being small enough to be fitted with large sheets of flash paper all around. Instead of tearing the box apart, it ignites and the dove apparently goes up in flames. Not to worry, though. Like Fawkes in the Harry Potter book, the dove turns out to be a Phoenix. A bit of ash from the box helps to make the bird reappear and all's well that ends well. I liked the effect so well that I also made a version from PVC Pipe, found in PVC Pipe Illusion Book 2 in item 10 as one of the Illusionettes. It's the same only different because it's made from PVC pipes. And yes, in spite of the flaming finale, the dove is kept safe and comfortable at the moment of conflagration.
MagicalMotivator
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of MagicalMotivator
I have an older Abbott's version that I use from time to time ( 2 doves very comfortable and one of the least stress tear a part vanishes for doves) - I have always used it with the doves changing into a rabbit - works great - the problem is replacing the paper.

My main stay is a Mak Night Club Dove Vanish - I actually have 3 birds and switch the 3rd for a RD - this has killed audiences for over 30 years with me - people always asks "where did the doves go" and it really blows them away - and no replacement of paper - easily holds 2 quick and 1 dead - and a lot less stress than a tip over.

Just my opinion.

Rick
Rick Rossini The Magical Motivator
www.rossinimagic.com
www.magicalmotivator.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Anyone use tear apart vanish box for a dove? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL