The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Alchemy Coins (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

medievalmagician
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of medievalmagician
I used to have a purchased coin routine that, I believe, was called Alchemy Coins.

It basically had half dollars that would change from silver Half Dollars to Gold Half Dollars, Copper Half Dollars, etc. I do not recall who produced the routine and if it is still available.
Does anyone recall this routine?
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
There is one called "Alchemists Fantasy" that may be what you want.

I have performed this for years with an enhanced routine that make story work better.

One of my all time favorites.

There are several Café' forums that have discussed it.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
medievalmagician
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Thanks for the information, I may be interested in working with that effect again.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Judging by your name it may be so.

I used this a lot in my SCA days that led to my modifications of routine
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
I think Sterling Creations made this effect and they called it Coin Alchemy if memory serves.
medievalmagician
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Quote:
On May 4, 2016, funsway wrote:
Judging by your name it may be so.

I used this a lot in my SCA days that led to my modifications of routine

I have been involved with the SCA for over 20 years now and am looking to include magic into my SCA activities. I did not spend much time with magic while involved with the SCA as I was primarily focussed on the fighting. Getting older now, looking for some other activities to incorporate.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
There are are many effects that can fit into a medieval theme and seem period. This effects works even though the coins are modern. I received my "arms" fro performance magic,
supported by performing for Royals at banquets -- but I preferred Camp Strolling nd using found object.

My most performed effect was a C/S transpo done in a small purse with a story of how an artisan was paid one silver and one copper coin every fortnight (could support a family on that)
The copper was supposed to go to the Church and he dutifully paid the Bishop the copper and put the silver in his purse.
Alas, when he got home he discovered the willy Bishop had the silver and her only a miserable copper.

Happy to send my Alchemy routine -- send a request to ken@eversway,com

medievalmagician
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

That sounds great funsway, really appreciated. I still have my alchemy coins, though the plating is wearing off. It's great to hear of different hobbies combining together.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
In a Royal's pavilion by candle light -- and the amount of mead flowing, the plating will never be noticed.

My biggest mistake was trying to perform close-up under impossible conditions. On the plus side, if the King is mazed, so will be the throng.

medievalmagician
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

This is what I struggled with for a little while. Most of the routines I was, and still am, are either matrix based or require a table top...I'm starting to spend more time looking.into not requiring a surface making my routines great for strolling
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
One big problem is "no pockets" in medieval garb. So, I made up various pouches from thrift store finds and had five effects in each.

That way I could have a different routine available for repeat crowds who invited me to their Household, but mostly performed with "found objects" in a camp.

With six sleights/techniques mastered one can do hundreds of seemingly different effects. I'd write a book if there was enough interest. Smile

medievalmagician
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

I have a haversack (sp?) with a shoulder strap that helps but can see the advantage of having multiple pouches/sacks for different sets of routines preloaded
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Alchemy Coins (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL