The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » White Star recreation (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
The Supernaturalist
View Profile
Loyal user
The City of Lights
202 Posts

Profile of The Supernaturalist
I always liked the effect, but didn't care much for the props. After seeing these posts, I am inspired. Who do I contact, assuming it is still available to get a copy? Thanks Café peeps!
topherhester
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of topherhester
What card stock did you use? I'd love to printout a set for myself but didn't want to do it until I found the right paper.
viktorbc
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
648 Posts

Profile of viktorbc
I am afraid I am apprehensive about revealing this technique. I have not seen in any literature I am aware of and only was able to work it out through trial and error. Although, I am fairly certain what I do is similar to those of other bizarre manufacturers.
VINCE WILSON

Bizarrist, Hypnotist and Paranormalist

Profile and more: www.vincewilsonmagic.com
www.poesmagic.com
topherhester
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of topherhester
I've been experimenting with heavier paper but my laser jet can't run a heavy stock that doesn't bend through it. Trying to avoid going to a printer to get what I need. I may try printing on lighter stock and gluing onto heavier stock
dunraven
View Profile
Regular user
Austin, TX
124 Posts

Profile of dunraven
I was just at a famous antique store in Austin, uncommon objects, which had a large variety of the old photo cards.. Some of them were peeling off, reflecting a very thin photo that the photographer had pasted onto a slightly larger piece of black, heavy cardstock. I am going to test cutting a photo matte (available in large uncut sheets) into cards and then pasting actual prints to them. Will let you know how that goes.
dunraven
View Profile
Regular user
Austin, TX
124 Posts

Profile of dunraven
It appears the cards I saw today were the smaller "carte de visite." While cabinet cards would of course be more period appropriate, most people wouldn't know the difference and the smaller images would allow you more choices of which actual Titanic passengers to use since only lower resolution images can be located of many of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carte_de_visite
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1250 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Wow... I just got my set of Vince's cards, and they are really excellent! A good price, too. I love the size, color, and feel of these, and they will take White Star to a new level for anyone that has them. HIGHLY recommended!!

(And a big thanks to Al Desmond as well for his initial idea and scans! Gotta see about getting your White Star script to go along with these great pics!)

Thanks again from a very happy customer,

Seth
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1250 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
And I should probably say that the biggest shout-out goes to Jim Critchlow, the original creator of White Star! I've loved his effect since I purchased it several years ago, and it is certainly wonderful all by itself. Vince's pictures just wouldn't quite do much without the foundation of Jim's awesome routine! The fact that fans of White Star can and do sometimes customize parts of it just shows what a great and versatile effect it really is! Just sayin'... Smile
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
I have the original White Star and would also love to get one of Vince's sets. These look really nice.
Bob
dunraven
View Profile
Regular user
Austin, TX
124 Posts

Profile of dunraven
I decided to create a version of this effect that works as an intro to my Witches' Almanac.

Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Wonderful work schramek! Thank you for sharing.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2016, schramek wrote:
I decided to create a version of this effect that works as an intro to my Witches' Almanac.

Nice Box!
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
Are these cards still for sale? I have purchased the effect Smile
rgnprof
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of rgnprof
I just got these cards from Vince - they are very nice, much better than the originals. And, my thanks to Al for his routine. But, I was a little disappointed that the cards do not have the front m****** system - which is why I purchased them. Al indicated in an earlier post on this thread that the cards were m***** in a way consistent with his approach. My fault for not clarifying this ahead of time, should have confirmed with Vince. I just don't perform this effect enough to commit the cards to memory - and I really have a strong preference for the White Star Revisited routine as described in the original White Star manuscript. Al's routine is perfect for how I want to present the effect...

Question - any suggestions on how best to m*** the fronts? I have tossed around a lot of ideas, but I don't know if can do it consistently and I really don't want to ruin these cards!

Thanks,
ryan
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Mark them like Al said to in his routine. Use a pencil.
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » White Star recreation (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL