The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Advice on Gene Anderson Newspaper Tear (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Melies
View Profile
Regular user
Boston
114 Posts

Profile of Melies
I've performed Anderson's tear dozens of times, and I love the effect. But 20-30% of the time, I find that the newspaper tears right down the front during the restoration. It's gotten to be such a problem that I've taken to putting a line of Scotch tape along the tops of the hidden pages (N and 3), hoping to reinforce the restoration. Then yesterday, during a gig, it happened again--a torn paper when I needed a restored one. Has anyone else had this problem?? I'm using the local paper, the Boston Globe, and am wondering if they're using cheaper pulp or something. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong: I fold the paper carefully, per Gene Anderson's directions, and I don't "throw" the paper open (an early mistake I made, when I started doing this routine), but let gravity gently open it up. And still it tears. For now, reluctantly, I'm retiring it from my act. Advice, anyone?
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
Do you have you thumbs underneath and fingers on top or vice versa?
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
The only times I ever experienced tearing (now decades ago) it was because I was spreading my hands too quickly after the "drop", or worse, during the "drop".

We all want the "flash" restoration to happen in an instant, but it actually can take a couple of full seconds. The effect on the audience is one of being instantaneous. Once I developed a feel for the timing I have never had a tear again.
Melies
View Profile
Regular user
Boston
114 Posts

Profile of Melies
Thanks for the advice, Frank. Scott, I have my thumbs/fingers where they are supposed to be per Gene's instructions. By the way, Gene himself wrote me a super kind note, suggesting that I kind of flip the paper outward at a 45 degree angle, so that air gets cushioned under it. Also that I be sure to perform it at chest level. I'm going to try that.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
As Frank's post says, slow down and don't jerk your hands too far apart. I had the same problem until I relaxed and slowed down. Taping the top of the paper all the way across is really a good idea.

Jim
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
After getting your fingers in the proper position, it is best to drop the load, then spread. Practice it in separate steps. Also, make sure the load turns over so it's in front so you are not opening from behind, which will tear the paper.

Other problems occur when the two packets are glued together. Make sure that nothing is glued together that should not be. Sometimes extra glue gets on the paper. When they sit waiting for the show, the two packets get glued together and you have mess on your hands. You might want to put torn pieces around it so they don't touch.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
To repeat what everyone has said. Take a breath. You've torn the paper and stacked the torn bits. You've done the required fold of the gizmo. Pause here and insure (as Scott said) that your hands/fingers are properly placed.

Given that you've taken the breath/pause and insured that you are actually ready to restore the paper, say (in your head) "One thousand and drop" as you say (in your head) "drop" let go the restoration packet.
As it unfolds, say (in your head) "one thousand and open" and on "open" start to open the paper out.
Finally say "one thousand and page" and on "page" begin the page display.

That will give you the rhythm and still look like an instantanous restoration.

Of course that assumes (and we know what assuming does) you've made the packet correctly (re-read Mtpasco post).

The rhythm does give the audience the time to register what has happened and appreciate the magic of it all.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
He may also be preparing the paper to far in advance and leaving it in a folded state to long.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
He may also be preparing the paper to far in advance and leaving it in a folded state to long.

That has happened to me.
NotThatLarson
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of NotThatLarson
I agree with Harry. There is definitely a neck to rhythm of Anderson's tear. Finger position is also very key.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Advice on Gene Anderson Newspaper Tear (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL