The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Painting faded anodized aluminum (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Higgenbottom
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Higgenbottom
I have some anodized aluminum bottles that have faded, but not uniformly. Before painting them, should I simply apply a coat of primer, or do I need to sand them? If I sand them, should I sand off the entire anodized layer?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I hope they are not green color, that would lesson the value of the them.

Why not have them re-anodized.

No you should not sand aluminum, you will destroy the metal polished surface, then you would have to re-polish them, and they would make the bottles even thinner thickness of metal.

You can try paint remover, not the quick stuff, but the thick kind. It should remove the coating. Then clean with Lacquer thinner.
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
Have you looked into powder coating?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Powder coating might add too much thickness depending on the tolerances involved. But it is an option.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2016, hugmagic wrote:
Powder coating might add too much thickness depending on the tolerances involved. But it is an option.

I agree completely!! I have even discovered that adding a label can affect the tolerances. I was redoing a set of Multiplying Bottles and just gluing on a label that I'd printed on copy paper cause a jam, where adding an inkslide decal label did not.

I would highly recommend completely removing the old finish before refinishing.

Google: removing anodized finish from aluminum

You will find information.

But as Richard pointed out, powder coating is an option. It would depend on what the prop actually is. With some, extra thickness would not be an issue. With others, it might.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
abrell
View Profile
Loyal user
Remscheid, Germany
284 Posts

Profile of abrell
I have altered several sets of bottles. They were cheap because the paint went off. I sanded them and used spray cans from a car repair shop. I found some very dark green. Now they really look like glass bottles.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Painting faded anodized aluminum (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL