The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Crash course 1 and ninja (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
I like Brad’s teaching style but the videos are a little light on tricks for the money. Can anyone recommend other DVDs similar in content and teaching style so I can compare before I decide.

P.S. This is not a post to slam Ellusionist. I know a lot of people aren’t fans but I do like the one video I own. I'm looking for the best value but in a similar teaching style and I may still buy Ellusionist, but would like some comparisons.

Thanks, Brian
IceKnight
View Profile
New user
UK
75 Posts

Profile of IceKnight
When you say, "you like his style", what do you mean by that? There are loads "out there" now. Just define what you are looking for then see who has what it is your looking for. Try checking out previews of the stuff first. Most sites now do that.
Dbzkid999
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
407 Posts

Profile of Dbzkid999
Are you looking mostly for sleights or magic tricks?
bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
I want sleights and tricks. I've been into mostly coins and money magic. I know a few card items mostly from books and videos on general magic.

By style, I mean he seems to perform in a similar way as I do whereas I have all of Ammar’s Easy to Master Money videos and I like him as a teacher, but the videos are bland and his performing style is not mine.

I'm not wanting to be a clone, but I find it easier to learn from someone who will be performing in a similar manner as me.

So I'm looking for beginner card stuff with a similar quality as the videos listed above, which might be too narrow as most magic videos are about as bland as rice cakes.

Hope I'm getting my point across. I'm not new to magic but have mostly avoided cards up till now and would like to learn some but from an entertaining source.

Thanks, Brian
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I recieved Crash Course, Ninja 1 & 2, Street Magic, and King's Rising For Christmas...I like this stuff. I didn't pay for it, so maybe I'm not as passionate, but objectively:

His style shows a "today" look, low-key, soft spoken, most assuredly unlike Greg Wilson, and Jay Sankey, not slamming THEM, mind you, just pointing out the contrast. I'm glad to have all of these teachers available when I need them.

Brad is also very close to a "style" that I've adopted...not "in your face", or ego-fed. I dress casually, and so does he. My girlfriend likes him, so that says a LOT! She hates "magicians" and card tricks, but she sat and watched the whole Crash Course with me, and said how nice he seems...made me kinda jealous! LOL!

Thumbs up, for Brad and his vids!

Doug
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
Dougini, Greg Wilson is soft spoken. I can't even believe you mentioned him and Jay in the same sentence. Greg is entertaining but not loud and doesn't make jokes all the time. that's my opinion anyway.
bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
Thanks Doug, I know what you mean by Brad not being a hands on in your face style, which I like but also the production value of the videos is better not just the magi standing behund a table with a cloth backdrop and an overly enthusiastic audience that screams out 'I'm being paid to be here'.

Are there any other card dvds like these in quality?

Thanks, Brian
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Actually, I should NOT mention Jay Sankey with ANY other magician...he is unique among magi...Greg Wilson is energetic, and VERY touchy-feely, but is soft-spoken in the instructional sections of On The Spot...sorry...

That said, I DO like Jay Sankey, as he is different. Loud, and makes jokes, but I have a friend like that, and it doesn't bother me...I bet hanging out with Jay would be a RIOT! LOL!

Brad does well with women, and that says a lot. I have noticed that a lot of women are turned off by magicians. Maybe that's just here in Ft Myers, but I hear it a LOT from my girlfriend's daughter, and her friends. These are twenty-somethings, and Brad gears is style and presentation to be attractive to this group.

I only hope to be able to "hone" my style to cover a broader horizon...not "just the guys", not just women and children, but ALL who would be entertained by skill with cards and coins, and able to "weave the magic spell"...(I have a long way to go!)

Doug
MrBiddle
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of MrBiddle
Brad Christian teaches very well, very thoroughly, but his videos are quite expensive.

And almost ALL the material included in the Ellusionist products can be found in many, many, many other places, possibly for lower prices. But I'm not sure how effectively the learner can pick up from those other sources of the same material.

Crash Course 2 greatly enhanced my ambitious card routine, but the quantity of the material pales in comparison to that found in Daryl's.

But is it quantity we are looking for?

Is it mileage that counts more than picking up the moves effectively from videos?

Its hard to judge. And I'm not making any stand here......

For the ninja stuff, you can pretty much find some passes and even the jack merlin tipover change in Daryl's AC vid if I'm not mistaken.
I would, however contest that there is in REALITY very little pportunity to perform what could actually be termed "close-up" magic.
- Guy Hollingworth
bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
There's another thread here on Born to perform, how does it compare to Crash Course 1?

Thanks, Brian
trix_the_clown
View Profile
New user
Australia
13 Posts

Profile of trix_the_clown
I like these a lot, and use the material in my kids show all the time. kids these days appreciate a good card move more than most people realise. try it you'll see for yourself.
I love your kids!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Crash course 1 and ninja (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL