The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Best modern manipulation sources? (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funnymagic
View Profile
Regular user
The funny farm
166 Posts

Profile of funnymagic
What are the best sources to learn modern manipulation techniques- the sort of thing done by top class Asian acts in FISM etc? In the last ten years there seem to have been quantum leaps in certain techniques and principles eg. card productions/ black art/loading techniques etc so I would love to know some sources to learn.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
You might try Lee Ang Hsuan's "Evolution of Card Manipulation."
You can order it from Denny and Lee Magic:
http://dennymagic.com/store/the-evolutio......dvd.html
Here's a youtube video of what to expect:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4DVDlc-ba0

Another choice is Yu Ho Jin's "1% (One Percent)" also available from Denny:
http://dennymagic.com/store/1-one-percent-by-yu-hojin.html
and here's the youtube promotional video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_qkzzhQil8
with endorsements from Kevin James, Lance Burton, and David Copperfield.

Although I enjoy watching this new wave of Asian card manipulation, to me it seems more an exhibition of skill than the type of entertaining card manipulation of Cardini, Channing Pollock, Johnny Hart, Jeff McBride, Shimada et al. It might be fun to explore practicing at home or at a magic club meeting--or maybe I'm just too old a dog to learn new genres of manipulation. Come to think of it, my Chinese zodiac sign _is_---the Dog.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I do find it interesting that although Asian card manipulation ideas are available in the US as instructional DVDs, I haven't noticed many instructional DVDs about the new wave of Asian billiard ball manipulation as performed by artists like:
Bond Lee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npl9QRLaZrY
and Mayuco
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq2F0tIffvE

If anyone has information about instructional video of this type of ball manipulation, please post some information here.

But wait...
SEO Magic does seem to have some billiard ball manipulation DVDs like
"Artist Visual" by Lukas:
http://www.seomagic-usa.com/catalog/prod......_id/1232

----- Sonny Narvaez
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Penguin Magic carries all the DVDs that have been discussed on the Café. I purchased a few of them through Penguin Magic.

They are not easy. The Bond Lee BB DVD is very good, it requires the ability to move 2 balls at once or a ball and a shell or 2 shells. This makes it possible to do the one to 4 production.

You have to remember, after viewing many of these Asian performers, old videos, I have come to the conclusion they have been working on their method for years. Even if you can accomplish he moves, then you have to acquire the smooth speed they have developed over many years.

Bond Lee is Chavez graduate, I am sure that he taught Dale Salwak a thing or two.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Anatole Amado "Sonny" Narvaez you forgot FRED KAPS!
AndreOng1
View Profile
Regular user
SIngapore
110 Posts

Profile of AndreOng1
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Penguin Magic carries all the DVDs that have been discussed on the Café. I purchased a few of them through Penguin Magic.

They are not easy. The Bond Lee BB DVD is very good, it requires the ability to move 2 balls at once or a ball and a shell or 2 shells. This makes it possible to do the one to 4 production.

You have to remember, after viewing many of these Asian performers, old videos, I have come to the conclusion they have been working on their method for years. Even if you can accomplish he moves, then you have to acquire the smooth speed they have developed over many years.

Bond Lee is Chavez graduate, I am sure that he taught Dale Salwak a thing or two.

I agree, I have Bond Lee BB DVD , it going to take a while for me to practice until I feel comfortable performing it.
AbsoluteZero
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of AbsoluteZero
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:

Thanks for mentioning that. The finger placement for the triple shell stack may take a while to get used to, depending on which type of ball you are using. As you probably noticed, I use a different technique to Bond's, which is slightly stretchy. Smile

If you want to learn CD manipulation, Han Seol Hui recently has released a DVD about his moves.
An Ha Lim has also produced a DVD a while ago.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Oct 13, 2016, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
Anatole Amado "Sonny" Narvaez you forgot FRED KAPS!

No one can forget Fred Kaps, but I never heard or seen him do Billiard Balls or Playing Cards. He stood out because he used different and unique props. He also never put out a learning DVD of any kind, that I am aware of while he was alive. He took all his ideas and methods with him. Even those that have his props, there isn't any method revealed on how he use them.

He used very standard manipulation moves, so nothing unique there either.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Right Bill!

Except for a few TV spots, I only saw Fred on stage, ONCE. He was absolutely marvelous.

Jay Marshall saw him do a live "club" date in Chicago for a group of Dutch people (some sort of corporation event). Jay told me that he couldn't understand a "word"! (Fred spoke Dutch for this special audience.) Jay said he did several big props/small illusions. He did his manipulative act, and had some very funny patter (judging from the laughs). Jay told me that he regarded Fred as a GREAT, "all around" magician.

I wonder where these "eastern" manipulators are finding work! You and I know that they are presenting "watch me do these very clever tricks". --And, they ARE very clever!

When that agent in Norfolk, 60+ years ago, told me: "Make 'em laugh, and I'll get you work." I listened. I did, and he did. I sold my white tie and tails, and white gloves and top hat!

After I got established, the school assembly bureau managers would call me. I was never out of work.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
While you can get the latest their is hold in the past.

My personal belief is knuckle buster stuff can be linked to laughter
and my nearly normal routines.

I started in theater, music and mime before adding manipulation.
Magic in the moment such as using a drink lid instead of a jumbo coin to cover your beverage.
Or or coin to grasshopper while doing Ren Fest

When I won (non sanctioned) comedy strolling magic
at a big I. B. M. Convention I closed with coin to rock.
The next years convention was held you guessed it
where Cleavland Rocks.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Now-a-days, we have to only give 45 to 90 minute shows. I can see where the short manipulation acts, can insert their acts into a longer show. To show magic and manipulation talent, can't hurt a magician. Comedy is not suited to everyone.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Fred Kaps did do card manipulation at one time in his career, seen at about 1:40 in this clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tveHNlIUpBk
You'll see him do flourishes (fans; springing the cards; waterfall drop; armspreads; color-changes and productions; boomerang card...)

He did inject comedy into his card manipulation, and that helps to make even a manipulaton act commercial. Even Cardini might not have become the success he was if he hadn't come up with the motif of the inebriated man-about-town.

Fred Kaps did, however, later substituted dollar bill manipulation for the card manipulation, as seen at 6:16 in ths clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5GYtuzM......&index=8

When I did magic shows for birthday partes and libraries, I did a standard kid show-esque talk act (Professor's Nightmare; Needle Through Balloon; A-B-C Blocks; Coloring Book Routine with Bongo Hat; Linking Rings, etc), but I also did some card flourishes (like the Audley Walsh Long Distance Side Spinner--sometimes with alphabet cards to spell out something like the birthday child's name).

I think people who hire magicians appreciate an act that adds something that requires a little skill to an act that is otherwise off-the-shelf apparatus magic--even if it's only a brief interlude. They know that quite a bit of magic is accomplished through mechanical devices. They appreciate seeing a good act that shows some dexterity, just as people appreciate seeing a good/great painting that isn't a paint-by-numbers picture.

----- Sonny Narvaez
boxjumper
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of boxjumper
Jeff McBrides DVDs on Manipulation with cards, coins, balls, and thimbles.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
This is a manip routine that uses patter:

It is available on a new DVD at popsmagic.com
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
I just got Pop Haydn dvd. I like the routine and thinking behind the routine. Not a difficult routine but very entertaining. Thanks Pop's
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Best modern manipulation sources? (8 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL