The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What to teach an aspiring actor (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Russ182
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Russ182
Hi , I have been a closeup hobbyist for about twenty five years and have been asked to teach a few tricks to a newly trained actor . I am not sure whether she wants to use it as an introductory USP to bookers or use it in her acting world. My initial thoughts are possibly cut and restored rope , sponge balls . I am thinking about a few easy self workers in cards and a basic D/L . Has anyone got any tips or ideas about what I could teach ? Many thanks fellow Magi. PS Hopefully I may get a few presentational tips in return if I do I will definitely share , it will be interesting to see the two worlds of acting and magic collide.
Gorlzax
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Gorlzax
Hi Russ,

as it happens I'm also a trained actor, I got my MA in acting 5 years ago, and I have been deeply into magic about 3 years now. And my first thought is to really make it clear with her what she is hoping to gain from magic. Like you said, does she want to impress bookers or gain new insight into theater work.

I think that If she just wants to learn quickly some workers, no need to think more, the self workers are the way to go. So she can relax and focus on presenting herself in the most positive light. Then again If she is interested in looking more deeply into the world of magic firstly I would recommend you to open the doors for her, so to speak. Let her see video clips of some of the worlds greatest magicians, many different kinds of artists that have unique way of taking the stage and the audience. Burger, Shim Lim, Penn and Teller, Slydini etc... People often have very limited idea what magic even can be and how important part of magic the presentation is. I think this has been very interesting for me as an actor. By the way: Pop Haydn has wonderfully thought out ideas about character developement here in Café.

What comes to the trick for her to start learning if she is really interested in magic - I'd say that try to sense what makes her excited, wether it be sponge balls or TT or whatever, that's probably the way to go. If one is not really excited its hard to maintain the practice routine it needs.

Hope you have an wonderfully inspirational encounter!

Alex
javlin5
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of javlin5
Spongs balls are fun and go over very well! Many a coin vanish as well.

A magician learning acting, can change the way you perform.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What to teach an aspiring actor (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL