The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Hands Off Fool Us (A Criticism of the Production) (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KristoBall
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of KristoBall
This is a bit of a darker observation, but I think we were all impressed and inspired by the young magician who was born without hands or feet performing so admirably with original methods on Fool Us.

This is a comment on the producers of the show. I realize, especially given that Alison (ugh, bring back Jonathan) hasn't changed her dress even once this season, that they likely film a bunch of these segments at once.

But did they really have to cut this episode so the first act was an illusion about a guy getting his hands chopped off by an axe, ON THE SAME EPISODE we have the inspiring story of a real hands-free magician??? Seems very insensitive and almost like it must have been done on purpose.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why is she required to change her dress when the men don't seem to change?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
KristoBall
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of KristoBall
That's what you got from my post?

my "ugh" is about her hosting. the dress remaining consistent is just to indicate that, because of that, it seems to reason that multiple episodes are recorded in a single session. even so, I'm surprised she doesn't change. I would venture dresses are more noticeably different than suits - I couldn't tell you if jonathan changed suits or not, but I'm guessing he did. again, I was just pointing out that the consistency is a hint as to how it was filmed - she can wear whatever she likes, what do I care?

the point of the post, and the criticism, lies elsewhere.
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
548 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
It's not a bad dress.
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
I like Alison's dress too. It's simple, and she wears it well. I don't think Jonathan would look very good in that dress and I disagree with the OP's suggestion that he wear it.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2016, KristoBall wrote:
This is a bit of a darker observation, but I think we were all impressed and inspired by the young magician who was born without hands or feet performing so admirably with original methods on Fool Us.

This is a comment on the producers of the show. I realize, especially given that Alison (ugh, bring back Jonathan) hasn't changed her dress even once this season, that they likely film a bunch of these segments at once.

But did they really have to cut this episode so the first act was an illusion about a guy getting his hands chopped off by an axe, ON THE SAME EPISODE we have the inspiring story of a real hands-free magician??? Seems very insensitive and almost like it must have been done on purpose.

I think you should first ask Mahdi (that is his name) if it bothered him. You may find you are making a concern where none exists. Having been around him at a couple of conventions I have come to see that one of his biggest hurdles is being seen as just another person, as opposed to an oddity.
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
For what it's worth, OP, I don't think the taping happens quite as you're speculating. This season was taped over the course of eight separate tapings in April over a ten or eleven day period (you can still find those dates on one or more of the various "free tickets" sites).

Now, it might be the case that they have eight taping sessions but that each session doesn't necessarily represent one complete show. They might mix and match if they think some acts might go well together on one show, or if they've got a goal of having at least one fooler per episode. And that would explain why their wardrobes remain the same for every episode -- so it's not obvious that one act was dropped into an episode.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
And if they do what Magicbarry suggests, that would be motivation for Alison wearing the same dress, wouldn't it?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am always amused that knowing a double lift automatically qualifies magicians as TV producers.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Hands Off Fool Us (A Criticism of the Production) (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL