The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Art of Bizarre Storytelling (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sir
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Sir
There are those who claim that bizarre storytelling (at least in its traditional form) is a dying art. I am inclined to agree. With great storytellers so far and few between, I have come to really appreciate those who can still weave a good spooky tale.

One of my favorite examples of good bizarre storytelling comes from the opening scene of the movie "The Fog." It represents everything that a good haunting performance should possess - a story that commands the full attention of its audience, a captivating delivery and a conclusion that implicates spectators through the seemingly-innocent act of just listening to the tale. (you can watch the clip I am talking about here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwSbRKd_J8k)

I would love for this topic to be a discussion on the specifics of bizarre storytelling. What works for you; what is overdone; what would you like to see more of, etc? For those skilled in the practice, please share with us how we can become better. If there are examples you can think of, I would really enjoy seeing those too.
"By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes."
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Great topic!

It's true, you don't see much storytelling bizarre - least not as performed by the likes of Punx and especially, Borodin.

I believe part of the reason lies in the times we live in. A lot of folks just simply don't seem to have the required attention span, especially for longer pieces. It's a hard act to sell commercially, but still doable. Another problem is that a lot of scripts are very long and many performers have difficulty with the memorization process.

So I believe one of the keys is to shorten the script down to it's essential accents and theme. It makes it easier for the performer to memorize, emphasizes the important details, and makes it less taxing for the audience to follow. I think Eugene Burger is an absolute master at this.

Of course, there are certain environments where longer, more traditional, storytelling pieces are better appreciated. Most big towns and cities have storytelling groups who really appreciate bizarre storytelling because it's a breath of fresh air in comparison to the normal flavor of their meetings. Many of the folks at these gatherings are professional, well-versed writers who are happy to help you further refine your style and understanding of the art.

While this isn't the exact type of storytelling you're driving at, I think this fellow provides a good example of streamlined storytelling bizarre, especially with the music box and title cards. Simply delightful!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtaalH-vE9U
Sir
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Sir
Thanks for sharing that performance. The way he transforms his tricks into vignettes with the cue cards and music box is a stroke of genius.

I agree with you that storytelling is rooted in another time. I think that because of this, anyone today who has the ability to skillfully tell a story automatically gives off a timeless essence. (Like being in the presence of a vampire)

I traveled to Ireland about five years ago and was amazed to see how very much alive the art of storytelling still is there. So many people, even some of the younger folks spoke in storied conversations - and they did so quite well. When I was there, I went on a "haunted" bus tour of Dublin. I was expecting the affair to be corny, but was completely impressed with our host's ability to tell an absolutely horrifying story without the need for props or any other support. I know repetition has a lot to do with good performance, but this guy had something else as well - an authenticity of sorts. It's hard to describe it. His stories felt old like they were ones passed down by several generations. They did not feel manufactured for the sake of an effect.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
That's an interesting point you make about locale, and one that with reflection, I think I'd have to agree with. Generally speaking, North American culture and audiences do tend to be vastly different from their European counterparts.

Are you familiar with any of Borodin's work? If not, I think you'll find his work in this area fascinating and wonderful. There seems to be a small, slowly growing movement of magicians going back to the old story-telling roots where the magic takes a backseat to the story. I recently purchased a piece that fully embraces this approach. Oddly enough, it is from the Celtic culture as well...

You can find it here: http://www.alchemymoon.com/page105.html Fantastic little piece.

If you're interested in seeing some of my work in this area PM me, and I'll send you a pdf of my "Peter the Pickpocket", an adaptation of Borodin's "Saladin the Thief."
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2017 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
The film clip models several features that separate the great story tellers from all the others: NO wasted words, great verbal economy. Powerful evocative verbs, sparse use of adjectives and adverbs. A quiet intensity in the delivery, engaging eye contact.

George
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2016, George Hunter wrote:
The film clip models several features that separate the great story tellers from all the others: NO wasted words, great verbal economy. Powerful evocative verbs, sparse use of adjectives and adverbs. A quiet intensity in the delivery, engaging eye contact.

George

I just watched this clip, and I have to agree. That was inspiring.
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1815 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Christian is a member here, and a great guy to boot. I have tried twice to interview him, and twice had to abort for technical reasons (all at my end). But we will get the interview recorded soon. If you have any questions you'd like me to ask Christian, then let me know via pm.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
What separates an average performance from a great one? In my opinion, it is like being a writer. Anyone can learn to write a story but only if you are involved somehow everyday will you be great. Likewise, everyone can tell a good bizarre story and show some props if they try, but to be great the bizarre must come from within. If the bizarre doesn't occupy your life in some way everyday, if it is not part of who you are, then you will probably never be great at it. Just my opinion.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Sir
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Sir
Well said, weepinwil. I know that is a challenge for me. The embers of bizarre creativity never extinguish, but they seem to burn brightest when the months begin to get a little darker and colder.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2016, Sir wrote:
The embers of bizarre creativity never extinguish, but they seem to burn brightest when the months begin to get a little darker and colder.

Couldn't agree more!
jglumley
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
244 Posts

Profile of jglumley
I saw Prof BC at ECSSII and he lectured a little about the art of story telling, and ever since then I have been most fascinated with the subject. I saw how very important not just the story is, but how it is told. The story is the heart of bizarre magic, and like all magic, it is first and foremost a performance art. You want the audience to share an experience with you. The goal is to invoke an emotional response.

I learned from Paul Voodini that you really don't even need props. You can simply borrow the participants subconsciousness and guide them through there own personal adventure. Things do not need to be overly complicated, for everyone including yourself to have a good time in your performance. Things do not have to be scripted, sometimes it is more fun to go down the rabbit hole with them and see where it leads to.

Aiden Sinclair helped me start to develop new ideas, personalize a story around myself and suggested ways to improve and how to make it more interesting and relative to my performance. In fact all of my favorites include very interesting story's.

Dan Baines entire story about how he got started is amazing. If you have not heard about the fairy folk from him and his famous hoax then you need to do yourself a favor and ask him, or listen to an interview or pod cast about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GhpS_47xrk

At the end of the day sure we all like our fancy props, gadgets and toys. Those things can add to the show, but the very essence what people really want to see is an entertaining show where they can suspend disbelief and for a short time believe in anything, and be exposed to the impossible.

I watched the example of the "Fog" above and I cannot agree more that is precisely the type of thing that we need to discuss more here in this forum. If anyone else can provide anymore suggestions, examples or insight I for one will be waiting with baited breath.
The "18"
Yannou
View Profile
Veteran user
381 Posts

Profile of Yannou
I find the First Nations storytellers quite inspiring.
Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UbmB6HG1yg
Dr SH
View Profile
Elite user
French Spirit in Sydney
425 Posts

Profile of Dr SH
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2016, jglumley wrote:
I saw Prof BC at ECSSII and he lectured a little about the art of story telling, and ever since then I have been most fascinated .....

Aiden Sinclair helped me start to develop new ideas, personalize a story around myself and suggested ways to improve and how to make it more interesting and relative to my performance. In fact all of my favorites include very interesting story's

Jglumley, I also found Prof BC , Paul and Dan to be very inspirational and good role model. I have to confess that I never hear about Aiden Sinclair before the "pearls of the passed " effect. I look a bit online and could not find any books, DVD or effect from Aiden. Maybe I am looking at the wrong place..., where should I look to be inspired by him too?
jglumley
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
244 Posts

Profile of jglumley
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2016, Dr SH wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2016, jglumley wrote:
I saw Prof BC at ECSSII and he lectured a little about the art of story telling, and ever since then I have been most fascinated .....

Aiden Sinclair helped me start to develop new ideas, personalize a story around myself and suggested ways to improve and how to make it more interesting and relative to my performance. In fact all of my favorites include very interesting story's

Jglumley, I also found Prof BC , Paul and Dan to be very inspirational and good role model. I have to confess that I never hear about Aiden Sinclair before the "pearls of the passed " effect. I look a bit online and could not find any books, DVD or effect from Aiden. Maybe I am looking at the wrong place..., where should I look to be inspired by him too?

You can see a brief example of Aiden Sinclair on youtube video of america's got talent, or on his FB page or website http://www.aidensinclair.net/ I am sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh9rv1jUg8c

He is really a very helpful guy, and I rank him up there with Penn Jillette and Raymond J. Teller as far has his showmanship story telling and sincerely loving what he does.

Speaking of Penn Jillette I had the honor of seeing him and meeting with him in person in Las Vegas, and he is also an awesome storyteller. Sometimes there show has elements of the Bizarre, and mysterious. They are also very excellent examples to follow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBZ_JXAJh34
The "18"
Dr SH
View Profile
Elite user
French Spirit in Sydney
425 Posts

Profile of Dr SH
Thank you Jglumley, I will look at these links and add his website link to the main list of website on top of the forum.
fredr500
View Profile
Loyal user
Cary, NC
287 Posts

Profile of fredr500
Aiden was at ECSS II and blew us away with his show.
--------------------------------
Check out Funeral Sampler and over 200 reviews http://rosemagic.com
Author of The Sweet Psychic, http://thesweetpsychic.com
ECSS I, II, III IV, and V alumnus
PEA Member, IBM and SAM Life Member
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Thanks for posting that link jglumley.

That was a pleasant surprise.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Art of Bizarre Storytelling (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL