The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Slash, Hack, & Saw! is now available! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TEB3
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
387 Posts

Profile of TEB3
In August of 2015 my friend, T. Everett Bookings, III and I, started working on a new book. In fact Traveler showed up and contributed a heck of an idea. Finally after 11 months and shooting over 800 photographs, it was finished this last Saturday.

Slash, Hack, & Saw! Is a very unique book. It shows you HOW to build Spooky and Ghostly props for your own use in logical and concise steps. The photos were culled down to 253. The format is 8 ½ x 11 inches and set in 14 point type to make it easy to read and actually use in your shop.

Tony Iacoviello has written the forward and pre-publication reviews from Richard Webster, Terry Tyson and even Neal Scryer have been over the top. Jim Magus can’t believe some of the sources for material that are listed.

Frankly there has never been a book like this before for the performer of bizarre or ghost and séance type entertainment.

A web page with a few comments is located at:

http://www.larykuehn.com/slashhacksaw.pdf

Then just clip and paste the url to order from Lulu:
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/teb3

Reviews in Spooky here on the Café, in The Seance Chamber, and Raven's Nest have been extremely good. And it WILL NOT be available on Amazon, Penguin, Murphy, etc. It was not written for the general public by any stretch of the imagination.

Thanks,

Lary/TEB3/Traveler
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
It doesn't say anything about what people will actually learn or what they will build.

Other than the number of photos, what's in your book?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Yep. It sounds intriguing, but a table of contents with at least brief descriptions would be nice... especially for $75. Fancy trick/prop titles can be misleading.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
TEB3
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
387 Posts

Profile of TEB3
First, here is the contents. You can build these as is or adapt anyone to your own needs. What tools, what wood/s to use, sources for all sorts of stuff from tools like a Rockler to a source for IT you probably didn't know existed, etc. is all spelled out. Also below is how Richard Webster reacted. His is just one of many (all positive) since this was release in early July. And sales have been world wide! There really isn't anything that compares to this.

As to price. It really did take a year to write. I shot over 800 images and then culled them down to the final 250+ used in the book - all carefully corrected in Photoshop and all at the correct dpi for clarity in reproduction. That was approximately at forty-five minutes each - you do the time math. So I have a year "invested" big time in this project.Next, I really do have an "editorial board" of trusted pros from working performers to some that do nothing but create masterpieces for others on a contract basis. They gave me the input that $75.00 was a fair price so that is what it is. Plus the material is practical, not fairy dust hype. So I did use the equation of time plus knowledge equals a price.

De Box – A different take on Sefalaljia but that is unlimited in scope.
Traveler’s Table – For doing readings and more
A Useful Gadget – a gadget to make things easy for finishing
Little Slates For Small Messages – how to build slates (pick your size)
A Crystal Clear Message – Messages appear visually at a seance
The Connected Disconnect Box – a different take on a small box
Each project is shown step by step, then you are encouraged about how to adapt each as to size or what you want to accomplish.

Here’s Richard Webster’s reaction:

Hi Lary,

Thank you very much for letting me see an advance copy of "Slash, Hack and Saw!" You've done an incredible job at explaining technical information in an easy-to-understand way. The illustrations are wonderful, and very helpful, too. You've written it beautifully. I can't think of any other book remotely like this, and I'm sure it will become an instant classic for anyone involved in seances.

It's hard to pick a favorite effect. I loved De Box, and all the things you can do with it. The one you made is beautiful, and could be used as an item of furniture. I was fascinated with the Traveler's Table, and all the different ways in which it could be gimmicked. It's easily transportable, too. It almost made me wish I was still doing readings. I can imagine Ron Martin making great use of this, and it was great to read his email to you about it. I loved "A Crystal Clear Message." You could start a church with that! Like you, I have a large collection of boxes, but it never occurred to me to make my own. Your "Connected Disconnect Box" is wonderful, and I laughed out loud when I read your devious reason for turning it upside down! That's sheer brilliance, and I know you could have fooled Dr A. C. Doyle with it.

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. I'm working on a huge book for Llewellyn's, and was given 5 months to write a 200,000 word book. I don't normally feel the pressure of a deadline, but have been with this book. It's not finished yet, but I couldn't wait any longer to read yours. I've spent a very enjoyable couple of days reading it, and fantasizing about getting back into séances again. I loved doing them so much, that your book might be the nudge I need.

Thanks once again.

Warmest wishes to you and Shelly - and Macey,
Richard

Hope I've answered your basic questions.

Lary Kuehn/T.Everett Bookings, III/Traveler
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thank you.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
TEB3
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
387 Posts

Profile of TEB3
Oh, Macey is my shop dog! She is a Border Collie and also a registered Therapy Dog. She goes to schools so first and second grader kids have a dog to read stories to as well as checks in at the Women's and Children's Shelter.

Lary
topherhester
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of topherhester
Is Altar Flame still available somewhere?
Cleverpaws
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
156 Posts

Profile of Cleverpaws
I would have to agree with Michael that we need more information. Most book sellers will at least show a few pages from inside the book. I think it helps sell the book and I've purchased books simply from looking at a few inside pages and seeing the quality of information. I realize you want to keep your secrets so that people have to buy the book, but if I don't find the book to be useful, do you offer a full refund? Also the reviews in the spooky here in MC don't say much more than is on this post or your website.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Slash, Hack, & Saw! is now available! (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL