The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Which coins to start with? (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
JassTan
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore
105 Posts

Profile of JassTan
I started with half dollars .. learned how to coin roll then palming coins, and started to learn Eric Jones and David stone routine. Hope it helps.
DavidJComedy
View Profile
New user
Boston, MA
79 Posts

Profile of DavidJComedy
Get yourself 4-5 kennedy halves, and dollars. As others have said, you will need to experiment with sizing, palming, other slights, etc. Also, you may find you like using halves for "in the hands" work and dollars for table work, for example. Or you prefer to do certain slights with different coins. The most important thing when starting out is experimentation without blowing a ton of money, no pun intended.
David
davidjcomedy.com
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I'm going to go a little against the grain here and suggest: choose coins YOU like, that interest you.

If you know you want to follow recommendations to try half dollar size, you can find all kinds of coins you like in the correct dimensions. And there's really margin for give and take on the size.

Certainly think about presentations you'd like to pursue and compatibility of coins for presentation. You can have a lot of fun looking around for coins that will fit a presentation style, and that will lead to myriad ideas YOU like for expanding on that.

I had lots of advice to go with clad Kennedys, but I'm from Canada for one, and the idea just did not appeal to me. I knew there was no way, even when David Roth suggested them, to my face. Smile Of course, David is flexible and versatile and his advice was merely a suggestion and not a direction. Smile Would have been a nearly total waste for me to go with those coins and I knew it. So, I went with what I like.
AndreaMooreMagic
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of AndreaMooreMagic
Poker chips are a great place to start practicing.
They are cheap, don't make a lot of noise when you drop it and you don't have to be a afraid to lose them.
DavidJComedy
View Profile
New user
Boston, MA
79 Posts

Profile of DavidJComedy
Yes. But avoid the Tango E$&?!$d!d S$@!l set. Not great to work with. Much prefer coins.
David
davidjcomedy.com
Tree
View Profile
Loyal user
Wiggle Wiggle
295 Posts

Profile of Tree
Clads are slippery, worthless imo slip and slide.
silver is sticky and you can work them better than clad.
silver is cheap. once you work silver the clads get spent.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Aug 20, 2016, simplymagicweb wrote:
I started with half dollars - cheaper (individually and for associated gimmicks), easier for my hand size and can also use other similar sized coins in conjunction with them such as English Penny etc. Once you have built your confidence and want to persist with your coins, then perhaps move to the bigger dollar size. Where the dollar size is much better however IMO, is if you want to do a 3 Fly routine.

3 Fly aside, I haven't really seen any diminished reactions from spectators when using one size or the other, so ultimately it's whatever suits you. Good luck and have fun!

Agreed!
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Philip Busk
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Philip Busk
It depends on your hand size and anticipated performance venue to some extent. If your going to do parlor, dollar size coins are better because they are easier to see. For me, when doing close-up, I like halves or sometimes quarters because my audience can hold them comfortably. Someone with small hands will have a harder time wrapping their fingers around a dollar coin. Since your in the US, I'd probably suggest starting off with a half dollar size coin. I like the feel of silver but clad are fine for starting out. When you carry coins in your pocket all the time so you can practice it hurts a lot less when a clad coin goes missing. If you end up doing a lot of coin work, over time you'll want to be proficient with many size coins.
Philip Busk
Escamoteur
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Escamoteur
I'd recommend starting with Half-dollars, as they are visible enough and not too big or small, but as said above play around with different coin sizes, even the small ones. A time will come when either a certain trick requires it, or you'll have to make do with what's available.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Which coins to start with? (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL